Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2017 SFS 2.4, 7" screen

I've had the infotainment screen freeze several times on the nag screen during start.

The "confirm" button is blank, and turning off the audio system doesn't reset it. Once I tried to turn off the car, and turned it right back on, but that didn't fix it, although after it was off for a longer period, it was fine when I restarted.

All hard buttons still work - I can switch between radio/media, etc. and change stations, but am flying blind - and no NAV, etc. without a screen.

Pressing the confirm button - it shows the grey button with no text - does nothing.

It's only happened 4 or 5 times, so I haven't narrowed the cause down, but wondered if it's happened to anyone else. Perhaps next time, I'll try and reset the infotainment system, just to see if that fixes it without turning off the car.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Our 2014 GPS would go blank on startup after a year of ownership, but only once every two weeks. Took a video of it showing the sound worked and radio would change stations by just pressing the blank screen. Got it replaced under warranty. May have to wait until it freezes, then drive to dealer to prove it's defective. The reset button is by one of the dials.

·
Registered
877 Posts
There is a small reset button there, it is a recessed button you will have to use a paperclip or something like that to do it. That also resets all your presets. Our 2014 does this as well, when it happens we can only change the stations using the steering wheel controls, never tried switching between media types. We also had the head unit for the system replaced under warranty (they put in a re-manufactured unit though). That helped the frequency of the issue, but did not fix it. I seem to remember reading on the forum somewhere that the most recent update of the maps fixes the issue, but don't quote me on that. We have found that, if you have the time, shut the car off and let the radio shut off via the timer and then restart the car, that works with ours. I realize that is a PITA, but it's better than having to store all your presets again. We did the same thing as MButkus, we took a video of the screen when it was frozen. Wouldn't hurt to take it to the dealer to see if they will address it under warranty.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
850 Posts
2017 SFS 2.4, 7" screen

I've had the infotainment screen freeze several times on the nag screen during start.

The "confirm" button is blank, and turning off the audio system doesn't reset it. Once I tried to turn off the car, and turned it right back on, but that didn't fix it, although after it was off for a longer period, it was fine when I restarted.

All hard buttons still work - I can switch between radio/media, etc. and change stations, but am flying blind - and no NAV, etc. without a screen.

Pressing the confirm button - it shows the grey button with no text - does nothing.

It's only happened 4 or 5 times, so I haven't narrowed the cause down, but wondered if it's happened to anyone else. Perhaps next time, I'll try and reset the infotainment system, just to see if that fixes it without turning off the car.
I believe I've had it happen to me, twice so far.
I believe the "culprit" was that I had plugged my iPhone in during the "bootup" cycle of the head unit, and it freaked out. I've noticed that if I wait until the NAV and radio are fully up and running, then things seem to work fine.

But plug in the iPhone with Carplay enabled during initial bootup (especially if the vehicle has been off for some period of time) and I've had it just freeze (no backup camera, etc.) Only fix was to shut off the vehicle and unplug iPhone and restart vehicle.

At least for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the "culprit" was that I had plugged my iPhone in during the "bootup" cycle of the head unit, and it freaked out.
Interesting comment. I can't recall if I had plugged in my phone the last time it happened. I'll keep an eye on that for next time it occurs!

Took a video of it showing the sound worked and radio would change stations by just pressing the blank screen.
I don't think that pressing the blank screen did anything when it happened to me, but I'll try that next time too.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The "inserting IPhone during boot up" is an interesting item. I know for a number of years, with computers, external HDs were all the rage to expand your old computer's space. But during boot up many brands/makes would start to boot, just go to a blank screen and stay there. Unplug the external drive and the computer booted correctly. Even if the BIOS was set to only boot from "C:", many many people had troubles booting up with external HDs connected.

We would just loose the screen. Pressing the blank screen to change radio channels did work. Has never happened after the GPS exchange.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Ditto. To be safe...In any vehicle...Do not attach anything to the system until the radio has fully booted up. A normal USB drive would generally be a safe exception if left in the receptacle at shut down. If you need to plug the USB drive in then allow%bout to collide with your vehicle and may apply the brakes. Not good when the belt is still trying to pull your vehicle along with three wheels not turning and also still pulling the vehicle behind yours right along.

For GM vehicles the answer is to put the system into "car wash" mode / disable it for the duration of the wash. Other manufacturers may have their own way of dealing with disabling the feature for the duration.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Um, I have no idea how that happened as the obviously odd part of that is from a completely different thread. It looks like they were somehow combined when I posted this one.

That should have read something to the effect of.....To then allow the radio for finish booting and give it another 5 seconds or so after that before plugging anything into it.

Gotta love modern technology!

Reactions: trigrhpy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts