Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced the head unit in my 2012 Santa Fe with a new Sony head unit. I'd like to replace the stock amp with a better 5 channel amp and add a real subwoofer. I'm going to mount the new amp in the same spot under the front passenger seat and I'd really like to use the existing speaker wiring for the door and hatch speakers. But I haven't been able to find the wiring diagram for the old amp. It has a 16 pin plug and a 26 pin plug. Since I'm running RCA cables from my new head unit to the new amp and new power and ground all I need is the info for the speaker outs of the old amp. Anyone have a diagram? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I really would like to learn from you on this as we seem to have the same amplifier (driving 8 speakers, or more like 5.1 speaker system), which limits my upgrade options.

I attached a file below which was shared by another very helpful fellow in this forum (Wongpfh) so I'm sharing it with you just in case this is what you need. Am not really sure but check it out.

Looking forward to your success here! Pls. do share the info on this once you are done. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here is a picture of my amplifier, which seems similar to your amplifier... or is it? There's no RCAs here. Do check out the Audio Schematic Diagram I attached on my post above and see if that's what you need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The amps look similar but I can't read the number on yours. I'm pretty sure mine is the JBL 96300-2B821.
I'm running RCAs from the Sony XAV AX100 head unit I installed last month to a new amp with RCA inputs. The original JBL is going in the trash.
Worst case I'll take the panels off all the doors and match wire colors. I should have taken notes when I upgraded the door speakers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a bigger picture of the amplifier model number on my pictures files and it reads 96370-3J200. It says it drives 8 speakers, but to me it's more like 5.1 really:

1 - Left side tweeter (front door)
2 - Left side front midrange speaker (front door)
3 - Dashboard center speaker
4 - Right side tweeter (front door)
5 - Right side front midrange speaker (front door)
6 - Rear coaxial speaker (left side second row seats)
7 - Rear coaxial speaker (right side second row seats)
8 - Subwoofer (left side at the third row seats)

If it's true that it drives 8 speakers in bi-amp mode for the front separates, it's a good thing (at least).

Question: Does your JBL amp have a "Remote" wire so that when you turn on the headunit, the amp is turned on as well?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Far be it from me to challenge anyone on what he wants to do with his own car, but I have a question.

Since I have run the volume up to the max on my head unit only once (which was more than enough), why change the amp? It would seem there is plenty of power available already since the rating on the amp is something like 300 watts or thereabouts. Whether that's peak, peak-to-peak, average, or RMS I don't know but my ears actually hurt for a minute after that. How much is enough?

If there are are left and right two-wire connections from the amp to the existing woofer, couldn't you connect to a new woofer to get any additional bass? Maybe Crutchfield could make suggestions.

Just wondering.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If there are are left and right two-wire connections from the amp to the existing woofer, couldn't you connect to a new woofer to get any additional bass? Maybe Crutchfield could make suggestions.

Just wondering.

Hi DSHornet, adding one or more woofers (in parallel) from existing speakers wires will be very taxing for your amp and you run the risk of damaging the amp as it overheats. But to continue on your idea, better if we connect those speaker wires (in parallel) to the "Speaker Level" inputs of another amp to drive another woofers (or a subwoofer). I think this will be the route that I might just take. Only question is how to connect the "remote" wire unto that new amp from the headunit so that when the main headunit is turned on, you "wake" that other amp "up" as well to drive the separate subwoofer. Else, I will have to put a standalone switch for powering up/turning off the new amp.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I see what you mean. I was thinking of replacing the existing woofer with another, larger one, but that explains it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I see what you mean. I was thinking of replacing the existing woofer with another, larger one, but that explains it.

Replacing speaker? You can go ahead there's not much problem. But adding speakers by connecting them in parallel is not advisable.

What brand/model/size of speakers are you thinking of getting?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don't know what technology a 2012 Santa Fe has in it but one thing you should consider when attempting to replace the stock amp is what is feeding into that amp from the car? You mentioned a 16 pin plug and a 26 pin plug... that's obviously a lot more wires than you would be using for an 8 speaker system, 26 wires more to be exact. You'd have power, ground, and probably a remote lead in those 26 so that's still 23 wires unaccounted for.

In the case of our more recent year cars that have navigation, xm radio, etc.. all of those systems feed into the stock amp to provide sound output. If you replace the amp you lose all that functionality. But if you've already replaced the head unit then you've probably already give up a lot of the factory integrated systems.

What's been discussed in the Tucson forum for adding/upgrading the subwoofer to the factory system is the use of a DSP, or sound processor, to add after the factory amp and then out to a new amp for speakers or subwoofers. This makes it so that any factory signals that go to the factory amp from any system in the car are still heard by the new amp/speakers.

Whether or not these are considerations for your cars or trim levels is up to you.. but it should be considered.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tenergy, thanks for your message. I did browse the Tucson thread and got some good suggestions on how to improve the bass in my Hyundai Veracruz.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The amps look similar but I can't read the number on yours. I'm pretty sure mine is the JBL 96300-2B821.
I'm running RCAs from the Sony XAV AX100 head unit I installed last month to a new amp with RCA inputs. The original JBL is going in the trash.
Worst case I'll take the panels off all the doors and match wire colors. I should have taken notes when I upgraded the door speakers.
Hi Santafe727, you might have been confused as to why we have different JBL amp model numbers. Sorry, I didn't mean it but I forgot to mention - my unit is a Hyundai Veracruz (not a Santa Fe). But just the same, I find the bass on the audio system of my vehicle definitely lacking. So when I read your thread, I got excited and replied.

Now, as Tenergy has mentioned, the guys at the Tucson thread are way ahead of us, we could learn from them. Go check out their thread, very very interesting read indeed. Thanks again to Tenergy!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I put a "Punch 300" watt powered bass subwoofer (Rockford Fosgate) in my 2018 Santa Fe Sport. I believe it is a 12" cone, but maybe 10? The bass is lacking in even the upgraded sound system, and so is the center stage. It definitely makes the music a whole lot less muddy, but I am thinking about replacing the center channel up on the dash with something else to give it more presense.

You have to wire something like that directly to the battery, pretty easy, and I wrote it up with pictures in the Santa Fe DM forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please see attached for details I had regarding the external Amp from a 2010 Santa Fe 3.5 L.

Good luck!
Wow, that schematic is awesome!! Unless the amp is the issue in my problem, I won't need it, I hope. If I need to replace the head, the schematic on the unit should do, as far as wiring a new one in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts