·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
QUOTE (abciverson @ Oct 23 2010, 02:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365601
You think that the tolerances on the sonata are so tight that one mm difference wouldn't fit? Thats less than 1/25 of an inch. I wish I could get my hands on an Infinity wheel to try it.
1mm might be much but if that wheel's centerbore is 66.1mm it probably won't fit around a 67.1mm hub, but if you have an Infiniti/Nissan wheel, its worth a shot.

QUOTE (Cyphear @ Oct 23 2010, 02:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365699
I have never heard of "hub size" when looking at wheels. Does it really matter? Couldn't it be 10mm off as long as the bolt pattern is the same? I know you know your stuff riceR, but I'm asking mostly to educate myself.
Generally the centerbore (on the wheel) should be the same size as the hub size or larger. You could attach a ring onto it to ensure it doesn't vibrate.

A few reference links:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpa...entpage=92&
http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?cat...ric&sub=how

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was just thinking that if the hub bore on the wheel is 67.1 mm, there is no way that the hub is the exact same size. The hub has to have a smaller diameter to fit inside the wheel. Just how much smaller is my question. Anyone out there own a barrel micrometer that would like to check the hub diameter? I think I have one around here somewhere that I forgot to give back to the air force before I left :whistling: (from my jet mechanic days). Not sure its in calibration though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am also searching for some other wheels that will fit my 08 sonata. I've been looking all over the place to try to find a list of wheels from other cars that will fit. I cannot find. In the past, i've been able to find lists for my porsche, civic, toyota van, and mustang. But I cannot find a list for the Sonata.

Does anybody know of a list?

What other cars' rims have you guys put on your sonata?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
QUOTE (Ken99287 @ Oct 27 2010, 01:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366732
I am also searching for some other wheels that will fit my 08 sonata. I've been looking all over the place to try to find a list of wheels from other cars that will fit. I cannot find. In the past, i've been able to find lists for my porsche, civic, toyota van, and mustang. But I cannot find a list for the Sonata.

Does anybody know of a list?

What other cars' rims have you guys put on your sonata?
Not much, but here you go...

General rule of thumb... same bolt pattern (5x4.5), center bore >= hub size (67.1mm), offset of +35 or more

Most 5 lug Hyundai wheels should fit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Tirerack link that riceR posted says:
"Some wheels are non-hubcentric by design. These are known as lug-centric wheels. With these wheels it is critical to torque the lug hardware with the vehicle on jack stands, off the ground. This allows the nuts or bolts to center the wheel and torque down without the weight of the vehicle pushing them off center."
^scratch that

Check this out
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...ic-rings-4.html

^Nevermind. That's going from a smaller to larger and I read wrong.
But yeah I guess in the case that you go to a rim with a larger hub size, this will help.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Even beyond hubsize, the G cars are rwd and the off-sets / rim widths Nissan uses are way off of the Sonata specs, so you'll probably have rubbing / fitment issues without spacers or fender rolling.

I have a G37 and my wife has a '11 Sonata, just looking at them I don't see a positive transition...

·
Banned
873 Posts
^op is asking if the 17" g35 would fit the sonata...

this is the 17inch g35 wheel spec..
17x7 114.3x5
225/55/17

if the hub was just right that would fit no problem not to mention its hella weak for a rwd wheel spec..
and fyi im running 9.5 in the rear with +38 offset on my car WITHOUT fender rolling and on lowering springs..

this is the spec for the 19"
19" wheels
Front: 19x8 +30mm offset
Rear: 19x8.5" +33mm offset

honestly 8.5 wide is nothing these days, im running 8.5 on the front right now, its not even considered a "wide wheel"

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ah, I didn't catch that... I have the G37S sedan so I have staggered 18"s.

7.5" width is still a pretty high standard on many cars, and 8.5" width is considered somewhat wide for stock spec unless stepping into the true performance vehicle market... For the regular / luxury market the wheel width is intentionally kept down, as the consumer they are targeting enjoys driving throughout the year without worrying about seasonal changes...

I'll agree that those widths are fairly low for current aftermarket specs though... I run staggered 12"s / 10.5"s on my Supra and I've been looking to go a bit wider in the rear... It all depends on what your purpose is.

Regarding the OP, here's a handy tool that allows you to quickly compare the clearance differences between wheels of different widths and offsets... Take a few measurements and go from there.

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalcul...gAAAQAAAPQ5EAA=

1 - 15 of 15 Posts