Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking around every day since i got my 2.0t limited in may! I love the site. Yesterday I dropped my car off at the dealer for a few things they needed to take of since the day I got it. They gave a SE model as a loaner. The one thing that I noticed on the loaner is on the dimension system in the sound settings is that the Variable-EQ is lit up and I can change the settings, but on my Infinity system it does not even show up. Is this normal? I would like to think with the higher end Infinity system that we would have that option!

·
Registered
176 Posts
dragam, are you referring to the standard stereo in the SE, or the Dimension Nav stereo?

I have the Dimension Nav and have no idea what button/feature you're talking about. We get 3 "dynamic" style EQs, as well as a settable 3 band EQ, and an option for auto-speed volume. That's about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, yes I'm talking about the Dimension Nav system with the 3 dynamic style eq settings. I think they where concert, normal and I cannot remember the 3rd. On my infinity system the touch button is not even there to even look at those settings. I have the auto volume and the 3band eq with the bass-mid-and treble

·
Registered
308 Posts
QUOTE (dragam @ Jun 22 2011, 09:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=464758
Sorry, yes I'm talking about the Dimension Nav system with the 3 dynamic style eq settings. I think they where concert, normal and I cannot remember the 3rd. On my infinity system the touch button is not even there to even look at those settings. I have the auto volume and the 3band eq with the bass-mid-and treble
You are correct the limited does not have those options, but doesn't matter the infinty system is better. I have an SE 2.0T with nav/dimension and my wife has a limited 2.4 with nav/infinty and the base is way better in her car as well as overall sound.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Honestly, I am disappointed in the sound quality of the dimension so believe me you are not missing much without the dynamic settings. It sounds good for rap (not my thing) with the bass, but the high range is schrilly and harsh and the midrange not good enough.

I read an article that said the guy who tuned it is considered a top echelon audio tuning guy. I can't find the link but they admitted they used a bit of DSP to do them.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I would question whether 400 watts are required to have a decent sound system. As well younger individuals that have bass rattling my home windows, as they drive by, serves a purpose that wouldn't entertain me now.

However, back in the day many moons ago I had a pair of 6x9 Jenson co-axial, external amplifier and a kickin' bi-directional cassette. I can still relive the Electric Light Orchestra laying down Nightrider. Backward masking, cellos and they were British backed by an orchestra.

So much for my lame old creds. The dimension isn't bad. I listen to old tunes and most of it is jazz. Granted, I adjusted the mix and w/sunroof open, windows down it could use a bit more. Closed up or only the sunroof open it supplies plenty of volume for me and my style of music.

Also, I remember AC-Delco units supplied from the factory and the magic of FM, so take my opinion at risk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would question whether 400 watts are required to have a decent sound system. As well younger individuals that have bass rattling my home windows, as they drive by, serves a purpose that wouldn't entertain me now.

However, back in the day many moons ago I had a pair of 6x9 Jenson co-axial, external amplifier and a kickin' bi-directional cassette. I can still relive the Electric Light Orchestra laying down Nightrider. Backward masking, cellos and they were British backed by an orchestra.

Fire On High - Elo (Youtube Edition) Full - YouTube

So much for my lame old creds. The dimension isn't bad. I listen to old tunes and most of it is jazz. Granted, I adjusted the mix and w/sunroof open, windows down it could use a bit more. Closed up or only the sunroof open it supplies plenty of volume for me and my style of music.

Also, I remember AC-Delco units supplied from the factory and the magic of FM, so take my opinion at risk.
Haha i am old to buddy! :) Lol.
The wattage is there to have a clean lower volume not to really use the full volume.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haha i am old to buddy! :) Lol.
The wattage is there to have a clean lower volume not to really use the full volume.
This is true. Watts dont always equal sound pressure levels. High Wattage with low distortion equals sounds quality and clarity. Both the infinity and Dim (which I have) are pretty weak. Not speaking SPL wise but quality wise. I design high end audio systems and im looking forward to designing a proper sound system for my SE turbo :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
my opinion, the infinity system on my 2.0t limited with nav (canada) isnt that good. its doesnt sound clear as my infinity speakers on my elantra (traded-in)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2010/10/2011-hyundai-sonata-gls-audio-review.html2011

Hyundai Sonata GLS: Audio Review
By Doug Newcomb | October 13, 2010

"... The Dimension Premium Audio System in our 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS consists of seven speakers powered by 360 watts. The speakers
include a 6.5-inch midrange in each front door, a 1-inch tweeter in each corner of the dash, another 6.5-inch mid in each rear door and an 8-inch subwoofer in the rear desk. That's it -- a simple but sweet setup."

Mobis 2011(2012-13 Autonet) AM/FM/XM/CD/MP3 audio system with 6 speakers (2 front-door-mounted speakers, 2 tweeters and 2 rear speakers) (104 watts)-Standard on the 2011 GLS.

Mobis 2011(2012-13 Autonet) AM/FM/XM/CD/MP3 audio system with 7 Dimension speakers (2 front speakers, 2 tweeters and 2 rear speakers), subwoofer and external amplifier (360 watts) standard on the 2011 2.0T Limited. Nav pkg has the touch screen where the no-Nav forces you to scroll through a menu, but that version came w/HD radio.

Mobis 2011(2012-13 Autonet) AM/FM/XM/CD/MP3 audio system with 9 Infinity® speakers (2 front-door-mounted speakers, 2 tweeters and 4 rear speakers with coaxial mounted tweeters), subwoofer and external amplifier (400 watt)-Optional upgrade, $2700, required Nav and rear camera.

HD Radio® technology with multicasting was originally, 2011, available only on the no-Nav Limited 360 watts.
-----
Besides the different Infinity speakers there was 40 more watts and and a co-axial arrangemant on four speakers in the back.

My 2011 no-Nav didn't sound as good until I changed the fader/balance and equilizer boosting all three frequencies and choosing the Concert setting. Before I wasn't hearing the bass or much of anything from the rear or the right side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've the dimension system in my Limited and I find it sounds good. What disappointed me the most was the so called subwoofer. Half the time I can't even tell it's there.

Maybe I'm a bit jaded since my last ride had two 12" subs in a sealed enclosure with a 400 watt dedicated amp, but I find an 8" free air sub just doesn't cut it. I don't expect it to shake the car, but I do expect at least a bit of thump. Nope, nothing. Free air = fail. The sub hangs from the rear deck, and you can see it from the trunk. It would have been so easy for them to build a small enclosure around the sub, and possible have a small bass reflex vent in the rear deck. That would have improved it's output drastically. But noooooo, cause that would have cost extra.

·
Registered
87 Posts
360 Watts for 7 speakers is nothing to write home about. My system sounds good for what it is, a factory stereo system. I did not like that the bass was weak, so I added a real subwoofer. That is what I wanted. I will probably change the interior speakers later if I want to play with it... right now it keeps me from annoying my neighbors. :eek:

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Maybe I am going deaf at my old age but frankly I can't really hear the subwoofer in my 2012 SE with the nav. I have fooled around with every setting on the radio as well as changing all the speakers (except for the subwoofer). Can't be that bad of a piece, can it??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe I am going deaf at my old age but frankly I can't really hear the subwoofer in my 2012 SE with the nav. I have fooled around with every setting on the radio as well as changing all the speakers (except for the subwoofer). Can't be that bad of a piece, can it??
It might be that the songs you are listening to don't have much bass?... I know that when I turn the relay switch to my subwoofer off, I still hear the factory sub. It is not window rattling, or very deep at all.. but it is a free air factory sub.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mabbott

I guess you are right! I listen to XM radio ( 1960's oldies). That tells you how old I am.
Everyone likes what they like! I have a wide variety of tastes... so depending upon what mood I am in ... that is what is playing! You are only old if you feel old! I am not a spring chicken... but I feel like it! :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is going to sound strange, but the biggest drawback to hearing the stock stereo that I've found is using the radio stuff... XM and FM sound pretty crummy on my dimension, but throw in some good quality MP3s or a CD and everything brightens up greatly, and the sub is strong enough to actually vibrate the mirrors a little.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is going to sound strange, but the biggest drawback to hearing the stock stereo that I've found is using the radio stuff... XM and FM sound pretty crummy on my dimension, but throw in some good quality MP3s or a CD and everything brightens up greatly, and the sub is strong enough to actually vibrate the mirrors a little.

I agree. I have the infiniti system. Tunes off the AM/FM radio and XM sound really flat no matter what i do with the EQ. throw in a quality MP3 with variable or high bit rate and it sounds very nice. Ive only used the wired connection so i cant say much about the Blue Tooth stream.

The bass is controlled and precise for a stock system. Its not at all boomy or loud. it would be nice to be able to set the gain on the sub a notch higher, but it sounds pretty good if you listening to Rock music. Kind of reminds me of the Infiniti Basslink i use to have in my maxima.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts