Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm having issues with the front wipers on my 2009 i30 slx crdi.

Several times now in heavy-ish rain I've had to pull over as I couldn't see. Other drivers continued driving so it wasn't that the rain was that full on.
The wipers clear the screen fine on each pass, they just don't seem to move fast enough to keep up with the rain and maintain visibility.

I contacted the useful folk at Hyundai & asked if they'd had any issues/other complaints (no) and asked what speed the wipers should move at on maximum (illuminating reply was:
"Further to your recent enquiry, I would like to advise that the wiper blades will move at the maximum speed when switched on that setting. " :w00t:
When I replied asking:
"So that I can check that my wipers are in fact moving at the maximum speed when switched to the maximum setting, could you please tell me how fast that is, eg how many passes across the windscreen? " the reply was go see your dealer.
Bah. Not impressed.

So if any of you wonderful people in i30 world feel like turning your wipers to maximum and counting perhaps how many full passes (there & back=1) in say 15 seconds and posting for me that would be a brilliant help.
Also if anyone has had similar issues and/or has suggestions for a fix, that would be great too (preferably not any that involve me choosing between the red wire and the blue one.)

Cheers
Anni

·
Registered
425 Posts
QUOTE (anni l @ May 19 2010, 06:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324211
So if any of you wonderful people in i30 world feel like turning your wipers to maximum and counting perhaps how many full passes (there & back=1) in say 15 seconds and posting for me that would be a brilliant help.
Hi Anni.

I sprung my wipers away from the glass and set my UK i30 wiper speed to max. I clocked 21 cycles in your 15 second test scenario.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Shambles @ May 19 2010, 03:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324219
Hi Anni.

I sprung my wipers away from the glass and set my UK i30 wiper speed to max. I clocked 21 cycles in your 15 second test scenario.

Hope that helps :)
Thanks heaps Shambles. I put my hose & hose-holding-helper away and lifted the wipers off the glass too a la your much smarter method (so that's thank you number 2.) And got only 13-14 cycles in 15secs compared to your 21. Hmmmmm.

I wonder if they set the wipers differently between countries?
If there are any Australian i30 owners out there able to check theirs for me too, that would be grand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just took delivery in Tasmania of new i30.
Tested wipers as per above scenario and only got 1 sweep per second.15 seconds,15 sweeps on flay out!
Havent tested it in rain yet,but this is comparable to my VZ Commodore which i traded in (and hated) but is poor when compared to my wifes Mitsubishi Lancer...21 sweeps in 15 seconds!

I'll let you know how it goes when i do drive in heavy rain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Warren Earle @ Jun 3 2010, 10:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329460
Just took delivery in Tasmania of new i30.
Tested wipers as per above scenario and only got 1 sweep per second.15 seconds,15 sweeps on flay out!
Havent tested it in rain yet,but this is comparable to my VZ Commodore which i traded in (and hated) but is poor when compared to my wifes Mitsubishi Lancer...21 sweeps in 15 seconds!

I'll let you know how it goes when i do drive in heavy rain.
hi Warren, thanks for your response.
Sounds like the UK vehicles might be set to sweep a bit faster than ours. Wonder whether we can get them set to do that here? It's a darn big, very sloped windscreen to clear & I dont think there's much else that could be changed (ie the blades are clearing fine, just not fast enough).
I'll contact my dealer and see what they say and post back.
In the meantime, watch out for sudden deluges unless you're much better at seeing thru water than I am!
cheers
anni

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Shambles @ Jun 4 2010, 03:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329501
Well we do kinda need to use 'em a lot over here :w00t:
For your information Mr Shambles, the average annual rainfall in Perth is not much less than at your end of the world. The difference is that ours isn't spread over 360 days.
So in fact our wipers need to be more effective not less.
:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
You could try putting some RainX on the windshield to help with visibility. You would most likely have to buy a different motor for the wipers to go any faster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts