Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I personally use Seafoam intake cleaning for all of my cars, it works great and inexpensive. Its very easy to use and takes about 20 minutes to do. I usually do it every 24,000KM just to keep my throttle body and intake valves clean.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I realize everyone is saying this service is just a money transfer scheme by the dealerships for an unnecessary service. But if it is for actually spraying stuff directly into intake manifold air stream, might this be good for the carbon buildup issue on the back of the valves?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I realize everyone is saying this service is just a money transfer scheme by the dealerships for an unnecessary service. But if it is for actually spraying stuff directly into intake manifold air stream, might this be good for the carbon buildup issue on the back of the valves?
Exactly the FUD the dealer relies upon when he sells you this service. Your use of the word might be good is appropriate, but to what degree of effectiveness will a one time or occasional application of highly air diluted solvent have on carbon buildup, this stuff once it accumulates is not easy to remove - hence the removal of intake manifold and blasting with walnut shells to remove. Or soaking the valve in solvent overnight and then using mechanical scraping.

A lot of experts will say a catch can may be as good as it gets with helping to limit carbon buildup.

Now some makers are experimenting with adding additional port injectors besides the cylinder one to prevent the buildup.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My wife took her Santa Fe yesterday for an oil-change and tire rotation and they tried to convince her it needed a $75 throttle body cleaning. She was smart enough to decline, but I think this weekend I just may pull off the intake hose and check it myself!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Have done this service on all of our vehicles...would never pay a dealer to do it.

Essentially soak a rag in carb cleaner (or other solvent), pull intake hose off the throttle body and clean until all carbon is gone. Only big thing is remember not to manually move the throttle butterfly or it will set off the check engine light. Otherwise it takes 10 minutes and a pulse to complete.

Made a big difference on Red Sled (that one had trouble starting every once in a while) but has done zilch for Copper Top and the Terrain.

Agree that dealers use it to empty customers wallets. However I would say it should be done a few times in the car's life since it seems like the Theta II engine is made from tissue paper and bubble gum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting discussion, the GDI engine is new to me and I'm still a bit unclear as to what preventative maintenance interval is good practice to manage carbon deposits and get the longest life and performance out of this engine. Good information here, but I still find it hard to believe all the Hyundai dealerhips would strongly recommend the major fuel induction service if it had not value at all. Granted it's likely very overpriced, but that doesn't mean the service doesn't still provide some value. On the flip side there are owners on here reporting higher mileage over 160k miles and no mention of having completed this service...so I think it's still open for debate in my mind!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Many threads on the subject, but with the wonderful initial Kia/Hyundai GDI engineering, no fuel comes in contact with the intake valves, so they have a tendency to have carbon build up that the CRC GDI Induction cleaner helps to control. This is why most recommend a catch can to help control the oil/blowby mist that passes through the PCV system and contaminates the intake valves.

At least the new engine will come with a low pressure injector in the intake that will help keep the intake valve clean.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts