Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my 2013 SF in for it's 72K service at the dealer. The service department recommended that I have an "Induction System Cleaning" at the cost of $120. After a bit of a blah, blah explanation I opted out. I assumed from their explanation that they would simply dump a can of fuel system cleaner into the gas tank. Certainly not worth $120 if indeed it is required

Has anyone heard of this "Induction System Cleaning"?

Cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I just took my 2013 SF in for it's 72K service at the dealer. The service department recommended that I have an "Induction System Cleaning" at the cost of $120. After a bit of a blah, blah explanation I opted out. I assumed from their explanation that they would simply dump a can of fuel system cleaner into the gas tank. Certainly not worth $120 if indeed it is required

Cheers
Jeff
I had it done on my '12 Elantra, but it was $189. They pump something into the induction system, in a controlled manner (as it was explained to me by the service guy) that cleans out the throttle body, etc. I was complaining about a rough idle. He assured me this would resolve it. All it did was drain my checking account of the said $189, and I still had the rough idle. A bad coil pack fixed that 6 months later. Just use top-tier-gas and throw in a bottle of Techron every so often in the tank for insurance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but no where in your Owner's Manual does it say to perform an "Induction System Cleaning"

·
Registered
13,284 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you use branded gasoline with additives you should never need this. If you are inclined to over-maintain your car, then add some fuel system cleaner to a full tank of gas every 10,000 miles.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/STP-78577-Concentrated-Injector-Cleaner/dp/B0053ODFZU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1461347571&sr=8-8&keywords=fuel+system+cleaner[/ame]

Or ignore it. Whichever is easier.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
If you use branded gasoline with additives you should never need this. If you are inclined to over-maintain your car, then add some fuel system cleaner to a full tank of gas every 10,000 miles.

http://www.amazon.com/STP-78577-Concentrated-Injector-Cleaner/dp/B0053ODFZU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1461347571&sr=8-8&keywords=fuel+system+cleaner

Or ignore it. Whichever is easier.
Do you mean by "ignore it" ignoring the dealer's attempts to sell you uneeded largely ineffective non value added services ?

I wonder how much the dealership would charge if a customer bought the techron and had them open the bottle and pour it into the tank ?

How will the service manager ever make his boat payments ?:laugh:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Do you mean by "ignore it" ignoring the dealer's attempts to sell you uneeded largely ineffective non value added services ?

I wonder how much the dealership would charge if a customer bought the techron and had them open the bottle and pour it into the tank ?

I bring my own parts (OIL, etc.) with me to the dealer all the time. Whether or not they dump the contents down the drain and put the empty container in my trunk, now that's a whole different story all together....

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I bring my own parts (OIL, etc.) with me to the dealer all the time. Whether or not they dump the contents down the drain and put the empty container in my trunk, now that's a whole different story all together....
No no the dealer would never pour good quality oil down the drain, next time watch the employee parking lot for a car pulling into the oil change bay, so you needn't worry that your good oil is going to waste !

Besides I think it's illegal to dump oil down the drain so a environmentally responsible dealership wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It kind of reminds me of the "glaze" treatment that the dealer tried to sell me for $200.00.

I said, "Let me get this straight. You want me to pay you $200.00 for something that I cannot see, smell or feel? And it is supposed to make the finish last longer than the 3 years that I plan on owning the car? Doesn't Hyundai apply a finish that will last 3 years?"

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
No no the dealer would never pour good quality oil down the drain, next time watch the employee parking lot for a car pulling into the oil change bay, so you needn't worry that your good oil is going to waste !

Besides I think it's illegal to dump oil down the drain so a environmentally responsible dealership wouldn't do that.
LMAO!!! Thanks....I needed that. At least I buy when it's on sale...:surprise:

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
It kind of reminds me of the "glaze" treatment that the dealer tried to sell me for $200.00.

I said, "Let me get this straight. You want me to pay you $200.00 for something that I cannot see, smell or feel? And it is supposed to make the finish last longer than the 3 years that I plan on owning the car? Doesn't Hyundai apply a finish that will last 3 years?"
I think a few years back there was a thread where folks listed some of the questionable or even outlandish list of items the dealership offered to sell them at purchase time.
I don't recall being offered the Glazing treatment though.

·
2,253 Posts

Cheers
Jeff
its a $5 can thats spray into your intake pipe, with the hopes it actually does something.

true story: back when i first met ms.imstricken, she had a dodge ram daytona with 30,000 miles. (aside from being a total POS) she brought it in for an oil change. she left with a $300 bill. one of the BS charges was this intake cleaning service. i was livid. i called the dealer and acted dumb. he said: (quote) "we stick a long brush soaked in throttle body cleaner, and scrub the throttle body butterfly flap, till its clean". i started laughing, and schooled the moron on the phone. safe to say, she was promptly refunded.

a proper way to clean your throttle body is to get to it, and scrub it clean. and visually verify that its clean. (from all sides).

·
Registered
13,284 Posts

You can always tell a Car Talk listener...:D

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
We had a local car talk radio show where the host reffered to most of that stuff as a "TRANSFER DEVICE"........

Transfer your cash from your wallet to cash in their wallet.......

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know CRC sells a "GDI intake valve cleaner" that you spray through the intake hose. I got a can to use this summer. The dealer sells bottles or Techron with the Hyundai logo on it for 20 bucks. They only charge 10 bucks to put it in the tank for you! lol

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
You can always tell a Car Talk listener...:D
never listened but at one time I would read their column in the Sat newspaper, wasn't infrequent that would give advice to people that were being pitched some unnecessary repair of some form of useless service. So yes they used the boat payment phrase.

As cars get get more reliable it seems the service industry, dealerships in particular are looking to sell high margin little or no value services to uniformed and vulnerable customers.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
never listened but at one time I would read their column in the Sat newspaper, wasn't infrequent that would give advice to people that were being pitched some unnecessary repair of some form of useless service. So yes they used the boat payment phrase.

As cars get get more reliable it seems the service industry, dealerships in particular are looking to sell high margin little or no value services to uniformed and vulnerable customers.
I'm lucky. My dealer is very reasonable.

I asked how much to do a timing belt, and they said, For an Accent, $400" :eek: I paid $350 25 years ago for a Corolla!

The used to try to upsell me, but after the third vissit they kinda got a handle I know a little about cars and stopped trying...>:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts