Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have a 2001 Hyundai Trajet GLS Automatic 2.7L petrol that I have owned since new.

Today when indicating when turning after three or four blinks that indicator stopped working. When I turn the indicator off and then back on again sometimes it will work for between 1-6 blinks and then stop working again or it will just not work at all. This happens with both left and right indicating.

When I got home I tried the hazard lights and they won't turn on at all.

From my elementary understaing it might be the turn signal switch or a turn signal flasher but I can't seem to locate either in the fuse box under the bonnet/hood or on the drivers side.

Can anyone help me with this problem? It would be much appreciated as I don't want to drive to work tomorrow with malfunctioning indicators!

Thank you in advance.
Anton

·
Registered
907 Posts
From the shop manual, page BE-73:

FLASHER UNIT

INSPECTION

Remove the flasher unit from the relay box.

Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to
terminal 2 and the negative (-) lead to terminal 3.

Connect the two turn signal lamps parallel to each
other to terminals 2 and 3. Check that the bulbs turn
on and off.

NOTE
The turn signal lamps should flash 60 to 120 times
per minute. If one of the front or rear turn signal
lamps has an open circuit, the number of flashes
will be more than 120 per minute. If operation is not
as specified, replace the flasher unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the speedy reply e3tom!

Unfortunately I have already read that section of the shop manual and have been unable to locate the flasher unit in the fuse box. I can hear it clicking somewhere behind the dash near the lower right hand side of the steering wheel, slightly above where the front dash fuses are.

I think I will have to remove part of the dash to get a closer look at what I am replacing. As you may notice I am not the most knowledgeable car person so I need to take things slowly.

Have you ever replaced one yourself?

Cheers

·
Registered
907 Posts
Actually that's not a surprise since Hyundai documentation is inaccurate quite frequently.

Technically it makes more sense anyway for that flasher thing to be inside the cabin for the audible feedback.
Newer cars don't have such relay operated things anymore and the click sound gets created in the instrument cluster via a speaker ...

There is a bunch of relays behind the lower dash, also the ETACS is there (door locking, interior lights & alarm system controller). Wouldn't surprise me if the flasher is also there.

Unfortunately I am a few 1000km away from my Jet and can't verify neither there nor on the microfiche parts catalog I have.

The picture below may help in identifying the flasher although the picture is from my Sonata. Look for such a black box with a 'DOT' print/sticker on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful!

Your pictured sealed the deal! Exactly the same flasher as in my trajet.

Picked one up from local auto store for under $20, slipped it in and viola! Everything is working as it should. I will just have to get used to the slightly faster indicating speed. After over ten years with the same indicating speed, it feels really weird.

Now to find the source of a scratching noise coming from my front driver side wheel!

Thanks again e3tom!!!! Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have anyone had problem with left signal getting stuck? I have changed relay and the headlight/flasherunit at the steering wheel but as soon as i turn the lights on the flasher lights continously to the left. If i remove the fuse for parking light on the cars left side the flasher works perfect. What can possibly be wrong!?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,152 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum00000732

What can possibly be wrong!?
You have a short between the parking lights & left turn signal circuits.

Have you had any work done to the car recently? Replaced any bulbs or had any accessories fitted?

Regards.

Scott

·
Registered
907 Posts
Have you had any work done to the car recently?
I have changed relay and the headlight/flasherunit at the steering wheel
As a result of the light/flasher 'get-together' ? Or meant as a remedy to it ?
Not fully clear to me. The multi-fuction switch is likely the most probable place for lights and flasher cables to meet. Other thing: Do you have a trailer hook ?
If so, the wiring to the trailer lighting socket may be a candidate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello and thank you for fast reply!

I changed the relay and the stick in order to fix the problem with left signal thats on all the time.
Yes, there is a trailer hook on the car. Is that the first place to look? The multi-function stick, is that the one located to the left of the steering wheel? Im sorry for poor english but im from Finland :)

·
Registered
15,152 Posts
The trailer hitch connector is a possible source of your problem but I'd start your diagnosis by disconnecting the harness connector from the rear left lamp unit and then check to see if that has cured the problem.

If there is no change then disconnecting the left turn signal wire for the trailer hitch would be a good next step. Assuming your trailer socket is the standard European 7 pin type, the left turn signal wire should be yellow. The left turn signal wire on the car's wiring is Orange, so you want to locate where the yellow wire from the trailer socket connects to the Orange in the car's loom and disconnect it there and see if that then cures the problem.

PS...sorry e3tom...I didn't realize toxic's last post was actually to you. Apologies for jumping in there.

Scott.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Multi function switch is the switching assembly behind the steering wheel that holds both the indicator+lights stick as well as the wiper swich. What exactly did you replace ?

Trailer lights socket is just a suspicion from my side since it's a place where all these wires meet. Usually spliced into the rear lamps' wiring depending on the material and work attitude of the one doing the job it is generally a potential source of trouble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your fast help. e3tom: i changed the indicator/light switch as the local Hyundai shop thougt that that was the problem. It wasnt.
Autospark: i unplugged the left headlight but no change unfortunately. Due to lack of time yesterday i didnt have the time to lock at the trailer hook but i will do that tonight!

I must say as a member of both Mustang and BMW forums that this is by far one of the better forums!

//Ante

·
Registered
15,152 Posts
Autospark: i unplugged the left headlight but no change unfortunately.
It was actually the tail light I said to unplug. The turn signals are on a separate lamp at the front but the turn signal and tail lamp are both together on the same lamp units at the rear.

Another thought that came into my head was to switch on your headlamps then remove the two tail lamp fuses one at a time to see which one causes the turn signal lamp to go off. The tail lamp fuse are shown on the attached image. F20 is for the right hand lamps & F28 for the left. Right now we're assuming it will be the left hand side/tail lamp that has shorted to the turn signal circuit but maybe it isn't and pulling the fuses will confirm what side it is that has shorted.

I must say as a member of both Mustang and BMW forums that this is by far one of the better forums!
That's probably because Hyundai owners need to fix their cars more often that the owners of those other makes :)

Just kidding. I was a tech with Hyundai before I moved to VW and IMHO Hyundai are the better of those two brands.

Scottie.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi again, i have now unplugged the left rear light haha, sorry bout that :) but problem is still there. The trailer hook wiring looks original (see attached pic) and is lying freely with no visual damage at all. When i remove the F28 the flasher works but parking light left side front and rear is not working. Now the car is functional wich is really good but the problem is still there. What would i check next?
Thanks for the fusechart! Is there really no markings on the car for the fuses? Nothing on the fuse lid, nothing on the fusecentral and nothing in the manual?

Attachments

·
Registered
15,152 Posts
Did you disconnect the trailer hitch wiring to see if that cures the problem?

If that didn't help then my next step would be to try and determine if the short is in the wiring going to the rear lamps or if it's in the wiring going forward through the engine bay bulkhead. That will let you narrow your search quite a bit. I've attached an image of the fusebox with the connector that carries the wiring to the rear lamps marked. Refit your Fuse 28 then disconnect that connector and see if the fault is still present. If it is then you know the fault is likely between the fusebox and the front lamp since you've isolated the circuit going to the rear.

Scottie.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 06 sonata and all of a sudden my hazards and turn signals just stopped a few hours ago. I changed the fuses, but they just pop as soon as I try to activate the hazards or signal. Could it possibly be the flasher or???

·
Registered
15,152 Posts
Welcome to the forum Marcus.

If the fuses don't blow until you operate one of the switches it's unlikely to be the flasher unit that's faulty. It would be more likely a fault on one of the lighting circuits. Make sure both the hazard switch & the stalk switch are off then replace the fuses. Now operate the stalk switch and try to figure out if the fuse only blows when the left hand or right hand turn signals are switched on. That might help narrow down where the fault lies.

I'm not familiar with your model of car so I'm not 100% sure where the flasher unit is located. I found the attached photo on another thread that might help you track it down if you need to. The connector in front of the hand looks like the brake lamp switch, so looks like you'd need to remove the lower dash trim on the driver's side.

Regards.

Scottie.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts