Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have an intermittent problem with my indicators, the front left and front left side stop .... it doesnt happen very often, just comes and goes, I swapped blubs and half the connecters from the right side to the left when it was failing and still had the same problem, so that I would think tells me half the connectors and the bulbs are ok... I have also had the steering wheel off and shorted the indicator switch and it was still the same when failing, I also did a resistance test in ohms and got below 5 ohms on the switch when open and infinite resistance when closed ....
I've messed around with the wiring checking for loose connectors and it doesnt make any difference... also vibration doesnt seem to affect it, like I can park the car when its not working go away come back with out touching any thing and it's working...
It seems strange that both the front left and front side go out when it stops and the indicator light on the dash board starts flashing rapidly, what would this tell me ???
The guys at the parts store told me to check for a 'flasher fuse' I have photos of fuse box under the drivers dash board and a photo of the fuse box under the bonnet but I cant see any thing to do with a 'flasher' and I cant see any link on this thread to upload photos...
Any help would be much appreciated... Hope you are all having a good weekend !
Cheers..... Matt.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Rapid flashing usually indicates an open circuit, like when a bulb burns out. When you swapped wires it stayed on the left side?

Look for a loose connector or a loose ground leading to the front indicator circuit. Could also be a break in the wire leading to that section that is being moved somehow, so when it's stretched it breaks contact and when relaxed completes the circuit again.

It may be in the control module, but I would think that would affect the rears as well. But then, I've been wrong once or twice...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steampunk... yeah when I swapped left to right nothing changed ... like at first two on the front left were out so I changed them to the right and the right to the left and still the same fault... so the left were going on the right indicating the bulbs and half the connectors are good.

I was thinking a control module or fuse or something as well, but what I've heard of those is that they would stop all the indicators not just the front and side left ???

It's got me stumped ... I have attached photo's ( not very clear sorry) I cant see any thing there that seems to be part of the indicators but am I wrong ...?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Hmmm...I'd start at the flasher unit and work forward from there. If the rears are OK then it's probably something specific to the front. Again, I'd find the ground first, and then work back through the circuit from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mate I think you were right, I found and cleaned the ground and it hasnt done it since... Actually what I did was take the ground off and see if it had the same problem thinking it would indicate that the ground was bad, I also did a resistance test and it was bad so I cleaned it and put it back on and its been fine since - so thanks for the advice ...
Weird thing is when you take the ground off it doesnt affect the lights in question ... I assume this is because it's still earthed through the battery ???
Thanks Steampunk and happy motoring !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts