Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just had my first Full Synthetic Oil Change today. Right away I noticed a nice difference in the drive. Nothing major, but a noted positive change.

My question is, what would you guys recommend having done to increase overall performance on our SF's?

I was looking into getting a Cold Air Intake.

I still have to check my PCV valve, other than this, I'm wondering what else I should direct my attention to maintenance wise? Did timing belt, water pump, brakes, cleaned throttle body, spark plugs & wires, transmission drain/fill..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The positive change from the oil change was more than likely the placebo effect.

The stock air intake of a Santa Fe is in fact already a CAI. You can get an aftermarket one, and the louder intake noise from the non enclosed filter will make you 'think' you are getting better performance, but in actuallity the gains are very very negligible if any at all.

Save your money on the CAI and put it towards routine maintenance or a few tanks of gas. That's money well spent.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
nice to see someone not all hung up on synthetic and CAI giving huge gains.

only thing i'd suggest for more power if you're dead set on it would be a performance exhaust. beyond that it would be time to start thinking about a turbo.

·
Registered
838 Posts
A CAI would work, but you have to get your ECM to learn the air/fuel change, after my 3rd attempt On my 2011 Tucson 2.4L AWD I finally got the ECM to recognize it! This last time, I swtched out the stock filter with the K&N on a whim,,,After the engine was fully warmed up, and in "Closed Loop" O2 sensor learning mode, instead of "Open Loop" warm up default logic mode.

I just restarted it, and let it idle for a coupla minutes, then drove it like I stole it! The 1st time thru the gears, the engine sputtered a bit (learning), since then it pulls smooth, & strong, like a different car!

The only con is I lost a coupla mpg,,, But, I don't care, the engine feels like it came alive, I can now hear, & feel the extra power ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I swear my K&N air filter gives me 'a gear change' of difference on a local hill! (2005 2.7 auto)

Its a fairly steep one and with Hyundai paper filter in it goes all the way down to 1st gear to keep the car at 40km/h on the steepest bit (which I hate because so loud), however I put the K&N in and it does it in second gear.

:mellow:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Honestly a good tuneup and a drop in K&N is as far as I would go. Anything else is just a lot of money for none/limited performance improvement.

If you're hellbent on doing stuff though look for a different intake and set of camshafts. This would actually warrant a CAI and exhaust. Shop around for Hyundai Tiburon parts as they use the same 2.7L motor as your Santa Fe.

If you've got the money and want to get crazy you can go down the route of forced induction for real gains. I know that there are companies who produce superchargers for the 2.7 platform. The problem here is that you will now be putting extra strain on all the supporting parts.

Personally, if you want a performance car on the cheap find something with a pushrod V8 and go to town. A late 80's or early 90's Foxbody Mustang would be a great candidate. They can be had and built for short money.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Check your stock CAI at the radiator, on my 2005 Tucson LX 2.7 V6 AWD, I removed the plastic "baffle" in front of the radiator, and got a good boost of performance, along with my K&N filter, from the air being forced directly right in from the Grille. I drove it this way for yrs, no issues. Cheaper, easier, & just as good as aftermarket!;)

I just recently did this same thing on my 2011 Sportage EX AWD, along with my K&N, it seems like even more of a boost then the early Tucson, but then again it's directly in line with the Grille, but about 6" inches back.

Once you do this, plus the synthetic oil, & a low restriction exhaust, I think you'll be happy with the performance :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts