Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Nobody here is into performance, except you, & I, so it is a dead forum. The Sportage forum is quite active, but mostly just because of the popular Sportage SX 2.0 turbo.

If you're looking for a good free boost in performance, take off the "intake baffle" (my description) on the right front of the radiator, and make sure the grille is sending fresh air directly into the stock CAI (cold air intake). Then as you drive, cold air is forced into the engine.

I just did this on my Sportage, although the grill is directly inline with this, giving me maximum boost.

You can get at this area fairly easily, if you were changing out the horn, like in an old "how to" post I have here somewhere?

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Hi
Mike is correct. Most of the thinkable mods were discussed in past years. Need some new thoughts & blood.
Cheers

·
Registered
86 Posts
I check in here and there and have some upgrades in mind for the exhaust. I also built my own CAI, made a rear floor mat, am planning on plastidipping the front grill black (looking for the big mouth look), upgrading to larger discs and maybe calipers up front, and am now at the point where I need to decide on some new tires.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nobody here is into performance, except you, & I, so it is a dead forum....
Got to completely disagree with that statement.

It all has to do with absolutely pathetic sales numbers of the Hyundai Tucson.
Darn near last in small CUV sales.
If nobody buys them, nobody joins the forum to bring in new blood....pretty simple. ^_^
Actually pretty surprised they didn't discontinue the Tucson for 2014.

I belong to many forums.....some of which are for models that have been unchanged for many years, but because thy still sell well the forums are still hopping.

Sad but true......How's that for a discussion topic? :eek:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW! I can't believe the Jeep Compass, Patriot, and Dodge Journey actually sold more than our Hyundai Tucson. The smaller choice of the 4 cylinder engines on those models really suck. AND thank you for a discussion topic! :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nobody here is into performance, except you, & I, so it is a dead forum. The Sportage forum is quite active, but mostly just because of the popular Sportage SX 2.0 turbo.

If you're looking for a good free boost in performance, take off the "intake baffle" (my description) on the right front of the radiator, and make sure the grille is sending fresh air directly into the stock CAI (cold air intake). Then as you drive, cold air is forced into the engine.

I just did this on my Sportage, although the grill is directly inline with this, giving me maximum boost.
I actually did modify the intake much like you described. I was wondering if removing the built-in "filter" in the top section of the stock intake filter would improve or mess up the performance. It seems to just be a secondary permanent filter that may be useless if you're already using a good clean filter.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Got to completely disagree with that statement.

It all has to do with absolutely pathetic sales numbers of the Hyundai Tucson.
Darn near last in small CUV sales.
If nobody buys them, nobody joins the forum to bring in new blood....pretty simple. ^_^
Actually pretty surprised they didn't discontinue the Tucson for 2014.

I belong to many forums.....some of which are for models that have been unchanged for many years, but because thy still sell well the forums are still hopping.

Sad but true......How's that for a discussion topic? :eek:
They tweaked the styling on the Outlander, & Compass, I'm sure that helped.
The Tucson is still a great looking car, & a good buy, but don't you think if it was offered with the 2.0 Turbo like the Sportage, and Hyundai advertised it enough, it would probably sell better then the spartan Sportage. Just take a look at how the new Santa Fe Sport turbo is selling like hotcakes! This is another vehicle that won't let a forum go stale!

Some people like myself would rather have a lightweight, more agile, & nimble, Tucson turbo, then a Stogy gas hog Santa Fe turbo.

I am not a Ford fan, But, Check out the Ford Escape sales, I keep confusing it with the Tucson (they look so similar, a definite sales advantage ploy). With some extra features, and a choice of 2 fuel efficient small 4cyl turbo's, how can they go wrong? They even have a similar, but better version of the Hyundai's discontinued "Kiwi Green" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
838 Posts
I actually did modify the intake much like you described. I was wondering if removing the built-in "filter" in the top section of the stock intake filter would improve or mess up the performance. It seems to just be a secondary permanent filter that may be useless if you're already using a good clean filter.
I've had it out temporarily quite awhile ago, it seems to substitute mid range torque, for a little extra at top end. I haven't tried taking it out lately, since I put in the K&N filter (and actually got that to work perfectly!) But, lost a coupla mpg.

It is only there to absorb gas fumes from the throttle body when the engine is off.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hyundai do zero advertising of the Tucson, that's the main reason the sales numbers are pathetic.
My local dealership is doing a lot of television advertising right now. All they mention is the Sonata,Elantra and Santa FE its like the Tucson doesn't exist which is a shame because I think it is a great vehicle

·
22,788 Posts
Wife bought a graphite gray 2012 Tucson. Traded in her 2008 Tucson. She LOVES it! I drove it and think it's a great little crossover. MPG's were decent, handling was spectacular. Found the ride to be very comfortable, smooth, and surprisingly, very little road noise. The power plant has plenty of pep to satisfy her. And that's all that counts in her little world. As long as she and the dog can go shopping together, what else really matters? ;)

Looking at the chart above, the Santa Fe must have more appeal due to size. A family appeal, so to speak. And those Chrysler entries? Well, look at their "cost to own" over 5 year's. It will scare you. Depreciation gets you right where you don't want to be gotten, in the Hip National Bank!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I simply don't think they make enough Tucson. I remember when the redesign came out because we were shopping for SUV at the time. This was early 2010 and we couldn't find a Tucson to test drive. A year later when I bought Elantra still none on the lot. I can't believe the fugly Escape is near the top of the list for sales.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I Agree

The new Ford Escape IS ugly. Looks compacted and squashed. They totally lost the suv/truck look it had prior, and gave it a futuristic odd look. Our Tucsons have the modern crossover look for a small suv.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Hyundai do zero advertising of the Tucson, that's the main reason the sales numbers are pathetic.
My local dealership is doing a lot of television advertising right now. All they mention is the Sonata,Elantra and Santa FE its like the Tucson doesn't exist which is a shame because I think it is a great vehicle
there is a commercial on TV in Quebec for the Tucson, I see it everyday on TV

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just placed an order for a 2014 Limited. After looking around and kicking some tires, it was the small SUV that my wife wanted in place of her Durango. I have to say I was impressed by how roomy it felt for such a small vehicle, and that 2.4 GDI motor seemed to pull quite well.
I drive a Veloster Turbo, so for me it's a no brainer to stay with Hyundai.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Just placed an order for a 2014 Limited. After looking around and kicking some tires, it was the small SUV that my wife wanted in place of her Durango. I have to say I was impressed by how roomy it felt for such a small vehicle, and that 2.4 GDI motor seemed to pull quite well.
I drive a Veloster Turbo, so for me it's a no brainer to stay with Hyundai.
Good Luck! Yeah, the older 2.4L version was probably adequate for the FWD, but finally a more powerful 2.4L GDI motor, especially if it's the AWD version! ;)

·
Registered
590 Posts
OK so wheres my "wake up the forum" pin? ;)

I hope Hyundai does something to spice up the Tucson before it's sales numbers bring about it's demise.
The Tucson has it's bumps and warts like any vehicle does but it has a lot going for it also.
Just needs a few improvements here and there and it can move up the list quite a bit IMHO.

We still like our 2011 Tucson a lot.......no issues to speak of other than a noisy blower fan.
Come on Hyundai......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts