Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I searched the forum topics and found a lot of information to import a car from US to Canada. Thanks members. But I did not specifically find information about removing lien from the title.

I own a Hyundai Sonata 2007. I was financed by HMFC and paid off the loan 4 months before. Now I am being tranferred to Canada (Montreal, QC) for my work in a month or so. I am taking the car with me. I have already received the title of the car from HMFC. The title shows HMFC as the first lien. Should I get a clean title by removing the lien (or) it is okay to carry the title with lien name on it while transferring the car to Canada?

Please give me your suggestions.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Hey you drive a Hyundai Limiter. That could work as a name! It might be best to get the clean Title while you can. When I moved
from Florida to California they made me re title the Car. They also weren't sure if Hyundai met California spec. I had to explain to the DMV
Hyundai a very big Car company now! :thumbsup: You are aware of NO Warranty Coverage from HMC for you, right? I only ask because Dealers in the U.S. will not help Canadian Customers, w/o charge

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 8 2010, 10:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321078
Hey you drive a Hyundai Limiter. That could work as a name! It might be best to get the clean Title while you can. When I moved
from Florida to California they made me re title the Car. They also weren't sure if Hyundai met California spec. I had to explain to the DMV
Hyundai a very big Car company now! :thumbsup: You are aware of NO Warranty Coverage from HMC for you, right? I only ask because Dealers in the U.S. will not help Canadian Customers, w/o charge
Thanks man. Yes. I am aware there is no warranty coverage for US vehicles in Canada. Though Hyundai USA told me that I can file a claim for warranty covered repairs done in Canada (and paid by me first) for a payment from Hyundai USA later.

The problem with me is that I may not have enough time to get a re-title for my car. So I wanted to make sure I absolutely need a re-title. Has anyone in this forum needed to re-tile the car to remove the lien in order to transport the car from US to Canada?

Thanks.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
You know there is a good chance that you don't have to worry about it. I remember when in Florida I was told you had to obtain

Clear Title, otherwise you couldn't prove it was your Car. Of course that is the whole Idea on signing off on a Car. Normally I wouldn't

worry about it, but you are importing your U.S. built Car into Canada, and we have tons of posts here by Canadians trying to overcome

the obstacles. Is it Importing or Exporting? Also you might need to make some Modifications like Daytime Running Lights & a Speedo conversion.

At this point all we know is you drive a Hyundai "Limiter". It might not be as easy as you think? Maybe this can help? Lots of stuff on Google!

http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx

Importing a vehicle
If you are thinking about importing a vehicle from the United States, you should understand the following three main steps of the process:

1. Before you import
Before purchasing and importing a vehicle, find out about the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) program, vehicle admissibility, RIV exemptions, recall clearance documentation, vehicle modification requirements and vehicle branding history.
2. At the border
Understand your obligations for reporting to U.S. Customs, Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and registration into the RIV program.
3. After vehicle entry
Complete vehicle modifications, the RIV inspection process and contact your provincial/territorial licensing jurisdictions for information about licensing your vehicle.
Use the Importer Checklist tool to help you build and print a checklist for reference throughout the importing process.

Important note: This web site relates solely to information regarding vehicles originally manufactured to meet U.S. specifications being permanently imported into Canada. Visit the Transport Canada web site for information regarding the importation of vehicles from countries other than the U.S.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.