Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
12000 miles in on my black/black limited. It was a very poor color choice considering I was moving to Florida. I'm not thrilled with some of the interior rattles and the cheapish leather seats are getting on my nerves.

I still enjoy the car, but I don't think it's a "keep for years" model. Might as well sell it privately while there is still high demand, I'm thinking.

Anyone else that's 5 figures into the mileage feel the same?

·
Registered
564 Posts
QUOTE (shabadoo25 @ Sep 8 2010, 08:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355146
12000 miles in on my black/black limited. It was a very poor color choice considering I was moving to Florida. I'm not thrilled with some of the interior rattles and the cheapish leather seats are getting on my nerves.

I still enjoy the car, but I don't think it's a "keep for years" model. Might as well sell it privately while there is still high demand, I'm thinking.

I am just about to reach 5,000 miles on my GLS and feel the same. The rattles are wearing me down as well. Not sure what I would replace it with, but wouldn't hesitate to do it if I came across something.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Good luck selling it for anywhere what you paid for it. I have a SE and 9,000 mile sin 3 months and love it still. Sorry to here you guys have problems.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Our "high quality" Toyota Rav4 Limited rattles. So bad I am like you guys with the Sonata I imagine. I hope mine doesnt end up that way.

Its all the cheap materials.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm reaching 7500 miles and I don't experience any huge rattles on my GLS. Sure I hear some here and there but its nothing compared to my 02 Explorer from before. I bought a Sonata for the warranty and nothing more. If a super quiet ride was my biggest concern then I would of bought an Audi or a Benz.

·
Registered
603 Posts
To those of you complaining of rattles, can you give a list of other cars youve owned in the past that were better?

Im hoping to gain some perspective of what you are comparing the Sonata to.

My Trans Am is a rattle trap, but thats a bad example because that car has been torn apart so many times, but my 02 Nissan Altima and 04 Honda Accord Coupe both had some rattles too. They werent perfect, but I also didnt expect them to be because both were low to mid $20's cars.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Sep 9 2010, 10:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355214
To those of you complaining of rattles, can you give a list of other cars youve owned in the past that were better?

My Trans Am is a rattle trap, but thats a bad example because that car has been torn apart so many times, but my 02 Nissan Altima and 04 Honda Accord Coupe both had some rattles too. They werent perfect, but I also didnt expect them to be because both were low to mid $20's cars.
2001 Nissan Maxima SE. At the end of its 10 year life, the door courtesy light started getting loose and I had to wrap some electrical tape around it to secure the fitting. Traded in with 69K on it.

2002 Ford Focus SE. Yes, you DID read that correctly. I am totally amazed at this car. No rattles. Car is approaching 100K miles and my FIL drives it, puts in crappy gas and doesn't do a SINGLE thing to extend the poor cars life. It was ours originally and we sold it to him when we got the Rav4 when we had our first kid. This little car has to be the exception to the rule for Focus but I was SUPER impressed with this little car.

My 07 Rav on the other hand has a side mirror assembly rattle, a dash creak in the middle and something squeak in the overhead console assembly. 49K

My Sonata so far has a slight rub when the sunroof sunshade is shut just above the drivers head. If I push on the headliner it gets worse. If I push just slightly on the sunshade, it goes away. 1K

·
Registered
564 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Sep 9 2010, 10:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355214

2006 Chevy Impala...a few rattles, but they didn't show up until about the 40K mile point, traded the car at 58K miles
2003 Dodge Durango...one minor rattle after 45K miles.
1999 Chevy Camaro...no issues...traded after 26K miles
1995 Pontiac Grand Am...one rattle in dash by the time the lease ended at 36K miles
1992 Plymouth Sundance...no issues in 40K miles

Rattles will surface in most cars as the miles accumulate. One or two on a car with 40K+ miles would not be unexpected. However to have 4 or 5 distinct rattles on a car with only 5,000 miles on it is nerve wracking...especially having to hear them 2 hours every day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is probably a dumb question, but what causes the rattling? Where does it come from? I've never had a car that "rattles". I've only had my SE a little over a week & so far it's been perfect. Is it going to start rattling over time?

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Sep 9 2010, 09:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355214

First regarding the OP. I am not "upset" by anything regarding my Sonata, but I am beginning to get kinda bored with it. Too bad for me I signed a 3 year lease. I do like a the car a lot. It just bores me for some reason.

And it is a bit rattly. Theres a little dash rattle and the most pronounce rattle comes from the passenger door when the stereo hits a certain bass frequency. They're a little annoying. but not the reason I would consider jumping ship on the Sonata.

Previous cars I owned.

'02 Explorer XLT V8 - Still own it. Surprisingly I would say it is pretty equal to my Sonata in terms of "rattlyness". Nice truck.

'06 Chrysler 300 touring- Had some dash rattles pretty similar to the Sonata. Overal it was "quiter" though.

'95 Olds Aurora - Virtually rattle free to the day I sold it in 2007. This was my best car ever. Great car. I would buy another tomorrow if I could find a nice low milage specimen between '95-'99.

Previous to that I owned 2 '90 Lincoln Continentals back to back. Pure plush luxury. It wouldn't be fair to compare the Sonata to that. Plus I really can't remember that far back so i will stop my list here.

edit - I almost forgot. My WORSE car ever was a 2001 Dodge Neon. Once it hit 40k it litterally felt like every bolt on the car had come loose. Rattled like crazy.

·
Registered
670 Posts
QUOTE (shabadoo25 @ Sep 8 2010, 08:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355146

QUOTE (ryster @ Sep 9 2010, 09:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355204
I am just about to reach 5,000 miles on my GLS and feel the same. The rattles are wearing me down as well. Not sure what I would replace it with, but wouldn't hesitate to do it if I came across something.
Sorry to hear that your ownership has not been great thus far. I do agree with you to sell right away if you're not happy. The car is only going to lose more value as it gets older but you are going to take a beating on price. This car is hot right now so maybe it would be easy to sell a used one with such low miles. Good luck.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (iwantanewsonata @ Sep 9 2010, 11:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355242
This is probably a dumb question, but what causes the rattling? Where does it come from? I've never had a car that "rattles". I've only had my SE a little over a week & so far it's been perfect. Is it going to start rattling over time?
People have different rattles. Mine relates to the glove box door.

My primary complaint is the cheap leather seats. I should probably cover them aftermarket and just get on with my life.

As for selling price, I had an Autonation guy offer me 19 and change. I might go the Autotrader route and try and get 22-23 for it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would think every car that is made will eventually develop rattles. It is bound to happen since the cars flex all the time. Maybe not as soon as yours has, but they will appear eventually. Do what you can to find them and fix them. See what the dealer will do about it. If it's annoying you that bad, they should be able to hear it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Most rattles can be fixed by tightening up screws on the inside. Of course you might not be able to reach some.

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (iwantanewsonata @ Sep 9 2010, 11:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355242
loose screws that have been unscrewed over time or never tightened right to begin with.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I keep hearing "cheap leather seats" as a complaint but no explanation.
Are they scuffing, wearing thin ,staining or coming unstitched????????
As for your selling while the demand is high theory , you better hurry up.
A month ago when I bought my limited the dealer had only 4 GLS's on the lot.
Now he has 11 Limiteds ,5 SE's and 10 GLS's.
I think that supply is catching up with demand.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (dynamike @ Sep 9 2010, 07:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355348
I keep hearing "cheap leather seats" as a complaint but no explanation.
Are they scuffing, wearing thin ,staining or coming unstitched????????
As for your selling while the demand is high theory , you better hurry up.
A month ago when I bought my limited the dealer had only 4 GLS's on the lot.
Now he has 11 Limiteds ,5 SE's and 10 GLS's.
I think that supply is catching up with demand.
They feel hard, uncomfortable and are cheap looking to the touch.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My leather seats have come in nicely now with use. Originally I had the same feeling of it being cheap but then again it is a 30k Canadian car so not really complaining. I've seen worst leather in other cars costing more.

So far had the car since April, no rattle of any kind, will see how it is when winter sets in, usually that's when rattles show up like crazy. In comparsion my old Caravan rattle all the time from several different places, all plastic panels that were loose. The Sonata is all nice and tight, so not expecting panel rattles. My brothers Corolla rattles from the door panels, glove box and dash. Have also been in a Lexus costing like 45k and it rattled from door panels too so again being a 32k car not really gonna complain about a few rattles if they show up. If this was a 60k car yeah I'll complain.

If they occur, crank up he tunes, hehe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts