Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll never buy another Hyundai again and neither will any of my family, because of their useless after sales service.

We purchased a new ix35 from a local dealer, Cranbourne Hyundai in 2013 for $30,000.00 and then upgraded to a new Tucson from Cranbourne Hyundai in 2016, at a cost of $43,200.00.

Two of our daughters purchased new i30’s from Cranbourne Hyundai in 2016, at a cost of over $50,000.00.

In total, we have purchased new vehicles from Hyundai at a cost of well over $120,000.00.

Ever since I first started driving the Tucson, I noticed that the reverse camera image was terrible at night time, especially if there was a light source behind me, which made it almost impossible to define any images clearly.

As I didn’t drive very often at night time, I kept putting off doing anything about it until both of my daughters kept telling me how bad the image was, compared to the reverse camera images on their i30’s (which cost around half what we paid for the Tucson).

I finally decided to contact Cranbourne Hyundai last year to inquire what can be done, explaining that the camera was fine in daylight hours, but terrible and very unsafe at night time.

They told me that I had to leave the car with them over night for them to check it, which I knew would be pointless because no one stayed there after 6:00 pm, but I did as they suggested anyway.

As I suspected, when I picked up the car, they informed me that they could find nothing wrong and the reverse camera image was as it should be for that model.

I tried stressing with them that the test could only be done properly when it was completely dark, which wasn’t possible in the way that they had tested it. This was also pointless.

After numerous emails between myself and Hyundai Australia head office, I contacted Consumer Affairs Victoria, to see what could be done. After going through all of the legal avenues that they suggested, which included providing photos of all reverse cameras images on all three vehicles, taken at the same time of night and in the same position, Hyundai Australia still refused to do anything to help me and I was stuck with a very unsafe, garbage reverse camera.

It seemed that my only choice was to accept that Hyundai Australia had no interest in doing anything to resolve the problem and I realized that my only option was to have a better quality reverse camera fitted, at my expense.

Approximately two weeks ago the image went blank on the audio unit for the radio and any settings, including navigation and phone. The only images that would show on the screen were the reverse camera, USB when I connected one and the volume control.

I have been informed by two professional car audio technicians that the audio system in a high number of Hyundai vehicles up until and including 2016, have a major failure rate of around 30 - 40%.

Those statistics are disgraceful and completely unacceptable, considering the cost of the vehicle.

The warranty ran out on the Tucson in August last year and after the complete lack of any care or real help regarding the reverse camera while the car was still under warranty, I knew ringing them would be a waste of time, but I tried anyway.

As I suspected, the after sales service from Hyundai in Cranbourne was absolutely useless, with only suggestions that would be very expensive for me, in regard to resolving the problem.

I received an email from Hyundai Australia Customer Care (could that name be any more hypocritical), a few days later, asking me to explain the problem, which I did in a detailed email response.

I waited four days and as I expected, I received no reply.

I tried emailing them again five days ago and still no response.

I am now convinced that Hyundai is no different to any other company in regard to after sales service. Once they have your money, forget it.

The fact that we have purchased vehicles from them well in excess of $120,000.00 has made no difference whatsoever.

When we purchased the ix35, I used to recommend Hyundai to people, but after these terrible experiences with the Tucson, I inform people of what has happened and advise them to purchase elsewhere.

I thought that the vehicle sales industry in Australia had changed since the days of a car salesman and dealership, being thought of as one of the most dishonest and least trustworthy of all professions. But after my experiences and others that I’ve read on here and other Hyundai forums, it seems that Hyundai Australia are doing their best to prove very little has changed with their services, since those days.

I will be posting my experience to every Hyundai public forum that I can find.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My experience with Hyundai as well. I have a 2020 Venue. The car runs fine, but it has a problem with the navigation unit, which Hyundai (not the dealer) refuse to even acknowledge. It skips showing what suburb I am in and displays the street + Sydney. After about 2 months of phone calls and emails I'm done. The after-sales service is not good, or perhaps I should say non-existent.

·
Registered
2015 Sonata Limited 2.4 GDI non turbo 40k miles
345 Posts
I understand you are from Melbourne, Australia, I went looking on google maps and there are about a dozen of other Hyundai dealerships in the city. The first step when a dealership doesn't help is to visit another one and so on until finding a place with good service. Dealerships are like individually running business: each franchise has usually a different owner with a different management perspective. Contrary to what many people think, the management attitude is different at different locations despite being the same brand. If you were to meet the actual owner of Cranbourne, I'm sure you would realize right away where the problem is. Hyundai has little control over this.

That would have been very first step and indeed when looking at the negative reviews on google maps, Cranbourne Hyundai has a garbage service with exactly the attitude you are describing

I do respect your frustration, but I have to say a few things. The fact that we buy several vehicles from the same brand, does not mean anything for many dealerships, when it comes to popular brands. And this can be true even for Mercedes or BMW. Had it been a Jaguar or a Maserati, maybe the dealership attitude had been different, "maybe". In our consumer world, loyalty doesn't really matter for companies.

As for the actual issue, I fully believe your problem was as you describe it and the dealership is just stupid for not caring a simple repair. Most possible the issue was either with the camera, with the wiring or with the actual main audio unit. You don't mention if you still own the car but one way is to have the unit removed by an independent garage and sent to repair to a microelectronics shop. And perhaps inspect the wiring and replace the rear view camera with a second hand unit bought online. This would be the least expensive route

·
Registered
2015 Sonata Limited 2.4 GDI non turbo 40k miles
345 Posts
I wonder what is the weight of the complains the main headquarters receive from the clients of specific dealerships. Surely they will consider the amount/subject of such complaints, but at what point would Hyundai start telling a franchisee to be more careful. From what I see on Internet, pretty much all "consumer" car brands have the same service quality variation amount dealerships, which is a sign that these car companies don't really care about service quality to some point. I think Nissan was a little bit different at some point. But when we read the owners frustrations on reviews left at certain Mercedes dealerships, for example, we get the idea that car companies are running their business just like it's any other type of consumer product

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes, I still own the vehicle. It's all very well to say that the dealership at Cranbourne is useless and to try another one, but that would also be pointless. The email I received was from Hyundai Australia, as were the other emails I received in regard to the reverse camera problem and I have updated my post, stating this. What I'm saying is that there were many emails back and forth between myself and Hyundai Australia service in regard to the reverse camera issue and they flat out refused to do anything to resolve the problem. Also, why should I have to take the vehicle to another service to have the reverse camera replaced at my expense, when this all started while the vehicle was still under warranty?

I have also been reading many other reviews written by others on this and other Hyundai forums, regarding how disgraceful the after sales service is from Hyundai Australia, which gives the impression that Hyundai Australia seemed determined to take their services back to the days when a car salesman and dealership were thought of as being one of the most dishonest and least trustworthy of all professions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts