Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Accent 1.5L 5 speed. I purchased this car from a friend a few months ago. It has 110,000 miles on it and has been maintained very well. The only problem I have is at idle and very low speed. At idle the ignition fluctuates between 2 degrees after TDC to 5 degrees before TDC. At about 5 miles per hour or about 1200 RPM the timing goes to about 20 degrees before TDC and the car performs normal. I have found a lot of information on this forum and hyundai service site but nothing about this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for a very informative forum.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
that is very normal. the ECU is adjusting the ignition timing on the fly according to engine conditions, rpm, etc.

unless you're throwing error codes or getting any symptoms like knocking or misfires, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I need to give a little more history on the problem. When I got the car a few months ago it had a few issues. The idle was rough and it was easy to stall the engine when taking off from a stop. It was also hard to fill the fuel tank. I do not recall the exact codes, but they led me to replace the evap canister, the up stream o2 sensor and the exhaust flex pipe. I also cleaned the maf sensor and the pcv valve. After these repairs the idle is much better but still a little labored. The stalling is better but still a problem if the ac is on. I have no codes set or pending. I think I have a sensor that is right on the border line but not sure which one. The only thing that seems to be out of line on the data stream is the ignition timing. I have confirmed the data stream reading with a timing light.
ALL INPUT IS WELCOME
THANKS

·
Registered
2 Posts
that is very normal. the ECU is adjusting the ignition timing on the fly according to engine conditions, rpm, etc.

unless you're throwing error codes or getting any symptoms like knocking or misfires, don't worry about it.

So what if I do have a misfire and no codes are being shot off. I have a feeling my timing was off and now have valve damage. Theres two timing Mark's for the crank shaft one on the block itself and one on plastic cover...which one do I align with?

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
The mark on the pulley is TDC for #1 cylinder.

What about the Idle Control? They use timing to control idle speed and if the IAC is bad it will add a lot of timing trying to get the idle up. Same with too much air it will retard timing to try and compensate.

When my 2008 Accent IAC got dirty, I lost fast idle when cold. That was the most notaicable symptom. It was easily cleaned.

Idle should be around 750 rpm or so through OBDII, tach not too reliable at low rpms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts