Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having trouble getting their key in the ignition???

First time I've had this problem - only thing I can think off is it's something to do with the heat?

Went to start car at luntime and the ignition key wouldn'y fit! Would bearly go in.
Some gently encouragement it'd go in half way....but at an angle...so I took it out.
Eventualy, after much in and out, I with gentle force, got it to go in!!!!!
Car started fine....when about my business....half an hour later...same problem - although key went in a bit easier.
Once in,I kept taking it out and putting it back in, and it seemed to get easier.
But I'd have expected somethign like this to happen from new - not 3 months down the line. Odd one.

Was fine over weekend though, and there are hotter countires than here - but is it the heat?

Must be covered by warranty?

Any one recommned a suitable lubricant???!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Lonesome Pine @ Jun 29 2010, 08:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337086
WD40 seems to be the answer to everything!
Yeah - I used to use that on my bike chain, until I was told it actually attracts the dirt / dust and makes it stick. I'm thinking it might do the same - might fix it at first, but casue long term problems.

I'm researching graphite lubes at the moment.....(beats working!)

I wouldnt care less if it was my usual 2nd hand banger - WD40 for everything...but with this being my lovely i10....either want to use someting the pros woudl use, or ge tit fixed / replaced at Hyundai.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
use WD 40 to lubricate your ignition lock. it will clean out/wash out any lubricant that is in the lock barrel and make it worse still. use normal thin oil instead. if there is still a problem get it checked out under warranty

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Montego @ Jun 29 2010, 09:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337119
use WD 40 to lubricate your ignition lock. it will clean out/wash out any lubricant that is in the lock barrel and make it worse still. use normal thin oil instead. if there is still a problem get it checked out under warranty
T'was as I feared - thank you M - sound advice for all.

I've given my key a good clean, without any lub, and it slides in better now...so maybe gunk/debris had got on the key and/or in the barrell.

Most odd...Will try spare key tonight, and if that works ok, I'll swap 'em, and then slaughter the missus when she can't get 'her' key in.....;-)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Most people do not realise that WD 40 is a de-greasant. As such it is an excellent product for disolving and removing road tar (and bugs) from car paintwork. Use your warranty to get the problem fixed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can always rub your key with a pencil, best HB or softer this makes an excellent dry lubricant, can make your pocket a bit dirty though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but the recent hot weather over the weekend dried the grease out on my tailgate struts. They started to squeak like a man demented. I took of the clips removed the struts from the ball joints, renewed the grease and re-fitted. I've had no trouble since.

A similar thing may have happened with your ignition barrel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ignition key since 5pm last night has been slotting in and out as smooth as anything.

Weirdy weirdy weirdy...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey, stupet11, Is this a factory key, or a copy? Either way, find out either from your Haynes Manual, or from your local hobo, or, as a last resort, your dealer what to lube the ignition with, and do that anyway, but I've found that hardware store keys eventually just quit working one day. Mine quit on a date that I REALLY wanted to be over, as it was a blind date, and my buddy's wife set the deal up without knowing I was straight...

·
Registered
168 Posts
If it is not too "off topic" here is a tale of WD40 de-greasing.

A little over a year ago, I picked up a pinfire revolver at a car boot sale. Don't worry, I'm not a danger to the community - cartridges went out of production a century ago!

The condition was better than fair but everything was very stiff. A dose of WD40 cleared out the more than 100 year old hardened lubricant and the operation is now smooth as silk. Must remember to repeat the process in 100 year's time though.

If I needed convincing of the virtues of this product, I have now had it.

Glad that the i10 key is working well again. I'm still teaching SWMBO that she has to switch off completely in order to withdraw the key from the ignition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts