Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was looking to get a copy made of my ignition key. I went into a Home Depot and was told they don't have the right key. Then at Lowes I was told it's chipped and they can't do it.

So is that the final answer? Aside from going back to the dealership, are there no other alternatives?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yup the Canadian keys are all chipped.

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
Most chipped keys can be duplicated but you need to visit a locksmith. Ask the dealer for pricing then call a locksmith shop and go to whoever is cheaper.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
Conventional style key with outside cuts,, or rectangle blank with internal slot design cut down middle of each side (laser cut) ??

Pic of key ??

We have machine with bits to cut both regular and "laser" at our store.. we just enter key code as obtained from customer via tag from key set when new, or through Hyundai Motor Co site,, enter code, verfiy, and machine cuts the blank with pattern

In most respect, dont attempt to copy,, always cut from code when available,, silly to cut a copy of worn key.. let dealer do the cutting if available,, they cut it wrong, it on them.. locksmith cut it wrong with your Hyundai blank.. who eating the cost of the wasted blank ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Most chipped keys can be duplicated but you need to visit a locksmith. Ask the dealer for pricing then call a locksmith shop and go to whoever is cheaper.
I can assume that a spare key fob, for the key-less ignition system, must be purchased from a dealer? I bought my 2012 used and it came with just the one key fob. I've never priced one from the dealer. I'm thinking $200 or more?

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
Conventional style key with outside cuts,, or rectangle blank with internal slot design cut down middle of each side (laser cut) ??

Pic of key ??

We have machine with bits to cut both regular and "laser" at our store.. we just enter key code as obtained from customer via tag from key set when new, or through Hyundai Motor Co site,, enter code, verfiy, and machine cuts the blank with pattern

In most respect, dont attempt to copy,, always cut from code when available,, silly to cut a copy of worn key.. let dealer do the cutting if available,, they cut it wrong, it on them.. locksmith cut it wrong with your Hyundai blank.. who eating the cost of the wasted blank ?
Locksmith was able to cut brand new Nissan key using vin# and program it to vehicle. Not sure if they could do Hyundai too but the whole thing was done in my driveway because ignition cylinder was stuck. Dealer is still a good option but nothing wrong with a good locksmith either.

·
Registered
238 Posts
On some vehicles you can only have 2 keys with chips. My Ford work van has these keys and you can only have 2 registered keys with chips. If you program a third key it will work, but one of the originals will quit working. We found this out the hard way! (and it was done by a dealer who only confirmed this after we were charged for the new key).
You can cut a spare key without a chip and it will open all locks, just won't start the vehicle.
I don't know if Hyundai is like this or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealership wants about $150 for a cut key, programmed.
Anyone know how much a locksmith charges?
And are locksmith keys just as good or are there any drawbacks?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some time if your vehicle lock is jammed or broken you can contact nearby locksmith who can help you to made a new ignition key at an affordable price.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Locksmith made my keys for my 2011. No chip.. But, Lowes, HomeDepot all would not do it. Had to search the ends of the earth to find a locksmith that made it..Dealership was way too much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts