Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Santa Fe. It suddenly developed an apparent problem with the key in the ignition sensor. After turning the vehicle off, removing the key, and opening the door, the chime alerting a key left in the ignition sounds. This continues until the door is shut. The fob will not lock the door. I can lock the door manually with the key. I can use the key to drive the vehicle.

I have changed the fob battery. Not sure what to try next.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
This isn't necessarily a vehicle specific solution, but I've read that dirt or foreign debris sometimes winds up inside the lock causing one or more of the tumblers to remain in a position that triggers the key warning sensor even when the key isn't in the lock.

Perhaps apply a lubricant to the key (spray it with WD-40 or some such) and slide it in and out of the lock a few times to ensure nothing is sticking up in there?

Might not be the issue, but if it is, what a painless low cost fix!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Locksmiths recommend Tri-Flow for ignition locks...don't use graphite based and I find WD gums-up after a time.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The Bride's '07 Tucson sometimes does this too. Cycling the key through the ignition switch "fixes" it. DarrenBach, thanks for the info on the Tri-Flow.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Guessing the lubrication worked?
A waffer that grounds in the ignition lock will stick. The ECM believes the key is still in the ignition, not allowing the BCM to electronically lock the doors.
Of course you can always override this by manually locking door with key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts