Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Everyone! I have a 2019 Kona with around 25,000 miles on it. In July (with less than 10,000 miles on it), I had a misfire and check engine light. Hyundai dealer said that it had an error code on one cylinder (misfire) and replaced the ignition coil. Two days ago, it would not start (sputtered several times), then made a terrible noise when it started (grinding the starter?), and then started, but was clearly not firing on all cylinders. Took it back to the dealer, two more error codes (misfire) on cylinders and replacement of the other three ignition coils.

I searched the forum and saw this problem on other Hyundai models, but wondering if anyone else had this problem on their Kona. I travel A LOT for work and am not terrified of this vehicle stranding me somewhere. Will the replacement ignition coils be any better than the failed ones?

I should also mention that both error codes/misfires happened after the Kona sat for at least 12 hours and it was damp outside.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Well I guess if your not terrified of being stranded it's no big deal. Very unusual to have all coils fail and at such an early stage. The car should have adequate insulation to work correctly in normal wet conditions so disregard that thought.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,403 Posts
Premature failure of coils can sometimes be caused by too wide a gap on spark plugs
However, I am not sure the mechanic was right.
Can not tell from across the internet
Would need more information before guessing

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Probably fitted with iridium plugs which have a low firing voltage but yea it's strange to have the coils failing so soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It seems to be a problem with the 2.0L Atkinson engine. My 2018 Elantra shares this engine with you Kona. I bought my car new and it's NEVER run 100%. I was experiencing poor running within the first week. I've yet to have a CEL, but dissatisfied with the poor running condition and crappy noise I hear under acceleration, I've taken in to Hyundai 3x. No resolution for me yet. They keep saying they can't do anything without any stored codes. So I live with it for the time being. The symptoms are very sporadic. Runs great one day. Terrible the next. It's a little hard to start, the engine shakes like crazy until it warms up, sputters while driving, and the engine rattles under acceleration. I can also feel a loss of power when it's having a cranky day. I've read Hyundai's solution is to replace the coils, as dictated by the codes thrown. Problem is, this doesn't seem to resolve it for people, based on multiple online complaints. It's clear to me that there's an inherent problem with this engine and Hyundai hasn't yet found a proper solution. I brought my car in for its last free oil change at the dealership a few days ago. They informed me there was a TSB to reflash the ECU. I was hoping this would fix the issue. Nope. Could be my imagination, but I swear the engine sounds different. Louder and more gruff now.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
It's amazing how the modern tech's brain can't think past the scantool. If there's no code there's nothing wrong.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,339 Posts
That has nothing to do with the techs brain and everything to do with Hyundai warranty procedures. The dealer aren't going to spend time trying to diagnose a problem when nobody is going to pay them for it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's amazing how the modern tech's brain can't think past the scantool. If there's no code there's nothing wrong.
You would think that the pinging on acceleration would be a significant clue. Pinging under accelaeration used to be a clue that there was too much advance or to much retard. It would seems that checking the basic timing should be in order.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi, Everyone! I have a 2019 Kona with around 25,000 miles on it. In July (with less than 10,000 miles on it), I had a misfire and check engine light. Hyundai dealer said that it had an error code on one cylinder (misfire) and replaced the ignition coil. Two days ago, it would not start (sputtered several times), then made a terrible noise when it started (grinding the starter?), and then started, but was clearly not firing on all cylinders. Took it back to the dealer, two more error codes (misfire) on cylinders and replacement of the other three ignition coils.

I searched the forum and saw this problem on other Hyundai models, but wondering if anyone else had this problem on their Kona. I travel A LOT for work and am not terrified of this vehicle stranding me somewhere. Will the replacement ignition coils be any better than the failed ones?

I should also mention that both error codes/misfires happened after the Kona sat for at least 12 hours and it was damp outside.

Thanks for your thoughts.
It used to be that a coil would last years, many years and hundreds of thousands of miles. I have a coil on my 1972 VW that came on the car when it was built on 11 May 1972. It supplies the spark for all four cylinders. You are saying that the Hyundai OEM coils were replaced at 25,000? Sounds to me like Hyundai has a severe quality problem.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,339 Posts
It used to be that a coil would last years, many years and hundreds of thousands of miles.
Yeah, that was back when manufacturers were sensible and didn't fit the ignition coil into the engine, subjecting it to vibration fatigue and thermal stress.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 1.6T AWD I picked up in July. I got cylinder misfire from 1-4 off and on right up until my first service where I was told the plugs were no good and replaced. I have a ODB device that is hooked to an app on my phone and it would tell me when I’d get a code misfire only twice out of the numerous times would the engine light come on. Every time dealer cleared code and “found nothing wrong”

Knock on wood hasn’t happened since they replaced the plugs...

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Well if the check engine light came on the code would be there. Maybe under history so they should have easily identified the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts