Hyundai Forums banner

Your Engine That Failed Was A:

• Total voters
161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
That's true but, it shouldn't be a surprise that Hyundai lied about having no oil, they did the same thing in the whole 2011-2012 Sonata engine situation before it became a recall.
Well in this case it appears it began and maybe ended with the service advisor, so I can think of 2 reasons regards the response :

- Most service writers these days are partly comped via commissions on services sold, warranty work likely no commission, whereas selling an unknowing and worse still trusting customer a engine repair job can be a fat boost to the paycheck.

- More likely though some people (self esteem issues ?) in these positions crave more power and feel if they somehow put fear in the customer this creates a position of power/control.

Either way bad response. Now some will soon complain to mod about my post being off subject so I am done !

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Now some will soon complain to mod about my post being off subject so I am done !
im sure someone will complain/flag; but you're fine - no worries lol ;)

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
im sure someone will complain/flag; but you're fine - no worries lol ;)
Thanks. I don't have any idea how many dealership ask customers to rate their experience and provide feedback with respect to the various people a customer interfaces with.

I have noticed a lot of companies use online surveys to get feedback on their company and how an employee conducted themselves. I often will do these surveys knowing that a good employee benefits from positive feedback, and a not so good one can get some additional training or corrective action.

Most of us would be worried/upset when their engine or car dies and a good service advisor I would think can help put things in perspective, explain the warranty process and so on, rather than create a feeling of anxiety and mistrust.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well in this case it appears it began and maybe ended with the service advisor, so I can think of 2 reasons regards the response :

- Most service writers these days are partly comped via commissions on services sold, warranty work likely no commission, whereas selling an unknowing and worse still trusting customer a engine repair job can be a fat boost to the paycheck.

- More likely though some people (self esteem issues ?) in these positions crave more power and feel if they somehow put fear in the customer this creates a position of power/control.

Either way bad response. Now some will soon complain to mod about my post being off subject so I am done !
I'm not disagreeing with you there, as someone who had to deal with an SA who had the same characteristics listed above, I'd say this is most likely the case with most customers. I'm just saying this isn't the first time that Hyundai has used the "no oil" excuse. Just one of those main excuses used to get out of warranty work.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with you there, as someone who had to deal with an SA who had the same characteristics listed above, I'd say this is most likely the case with most customers. I'm just saying this isn't the first time that Hyundai has used the "no oil" excuse. Just one of those main excuses used to get out of warranty work.
I understand the 2.4 engine recall was mandated by the NHTSA because of engine seizures at speed and that Hyundai stonewalled customers while likely knowing the engines were defective.

I have mixed feelings about the real value of 100k warranty - it's nice but seems to come with a good number of if buts dos don'ts disclaimers and exclusions.

Hyundai/KIA has done a good job of leveraging sales from it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have mixed feelings about the real value of 100k warranty - it's nice but seems to come with a good number of if buts dos don'ts disclaimers and exclusions.
I'd be a lot more pissed with my decision to essentially "beta test" the redesigned first edition YF Sonata if it wasn't for the 100K warranty.

Engine blew up at 80K (Short Block Recall), Radiator Cracked at 7K, Starter Lever Broke, Window Regulator Broke, Electrical Issues with the Tail Lights and Head Lamps, and the numerous recalls.

Problem is I'm so jaded by the Hyundai process that I have a hard time buying another car with the standard 5yr/60K powertrain warranty.

Even funnier is that I still like my Sonata. My wife on the other hand.....different story haha

·
Registered
6 Posts
So update on my engine, Hyundai Canada has granted the warranty work to be done...Yay !!! Fast forward to today when I picked up the car, only to be told they changed the Short Block only...WTF??? I asked them about the metal shavings in the long block and how they got them all out so that they wouldn't be an on going issue. "The tech cleaned it out..." How the in the **** did this tech clean it?, Assistant Manager of Service side steps the questions and proceeds to tell me that if there are any problems that the warranty will cover it.

I showed him the pictures I took of the long block with the metal shavings all over the valves and his faces took five steps back. He didn't know it was like that. Said he would talk to the service advisor about it. He asked me to forward him the pictures and he would take it up with Hyundai Canada. Saving my energy for that fight....:angry:

Left with my Santa Fe and noticed right away the BOV didn't have it pssh pssh sound, but more so a thump noise...great. :frown:Also the car wouldn't lock with the door handle button, it would simply do a long beep as if the keys were still in the car....another great.:frown: Also noticed the bumper wasn't installed properly. :frown:Also I now have a crack in my driver side mirror turn signal, :frown:also the driver side fog light is loose,:frown: also the hood is crooked,:frown:also the engine coolant was below the low, (for any of you guys in Toronto and surrounding area, you are aware of the heat wave we are currently having).

I'm beside myself with the lack of attention to detail the dealership had in returning my car back to me in the tip top shape it was in to them. Best part I was talking to the Assistant Service Manager outside in front of my car and sure a sh#t doesn't he lean over to look at my bumper by my headlight, notice the bumper sticking out and do and say nothing about it. I thought he was looking at the 3M bumper protector. It wasn't till I got home that I noticed it. Which led me to do a walk around the car and under the hood.

Did someone say its less headachs to bring the car to the dealer, to avoid issues with warranty....how about the rest of this crap? Warranty isn't the issue, its how they treat your car while they have it in there care...(sorry not i didn't mean care, i meant to say uncaring hands! yeah that's better.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Silent_Sam, can you post the build date for your 2014 Santa Fe. It should be on the certification label in the driver's door jamb. I'm curious since I also have a 2014.

Thanks, and good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Silent_Sam, can you post the build date for your 2014 Santa Fe. It should be on the certification label in the driver's door jamb. I'm curious since I also have a 2014.

Thanks, and good luck!
So UPDATE about my 2014 Santa Fe Limited edition....its gone.>:D:grin2::amen:....and now a 2017 Santa Fe Ultimate edition sits in its place. >:D

I decided that the best way to fix it is to get a new one instead. I traded it in to the same dealership I bought at, I was lucky as what I owed on the car was very close to its value and I'm basically making very similar payments for the 2017 Ultimate. Really liked my car and I would never have traded in yet for a new model. But Hyundai's terrible repair of the vehicle made it the only option I was willing to live with.

Fingers crossed that this one is going to be problem free...:smile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
2.0T engine died

49,175 miles. Was wife's car, never driven hard. Dealer says #4 piston rod bearing took a lunch and left grindings/chips in the oil pan. They will replace engine with a Reman Longblock at no charge under power train warranty; could be 4 - 5 days, they are looking for engine now. Said we will get new engine warranty (5 yr/60K miles)? Is there anything else I should insist gets done during this job? (I never had the tranny fluid checked/changed. Should we get new antifreeze? Get an A/C recharge?) I believe the original turbo, fuel rail, etc are all saved and put on the new longblock... I would appreciate any feedback here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a bit of late reply, and really hope they sent your motor out for a complete re-re. You can`t just clean a short block from the metal shavings that are left behind from the longblock failing. Please order yourself a new Magnetic Tip Drain Plug. AFTER EVERY OIL CHANGE CHECK FOR METAL SHAVINGS. This could help you get a new engine...which is what Hyundai should be doing to fix this issues of engine failure. Good luck...

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
You can`t just clean a short block from the metal shavings that are left behind from the longblock failing.
what are you talking about? he's getting a whole new block, crank, pistons/rods, etc. he's only reusing his accessories(alternator, water pump, a/c compressor, head).

most of the fine shavings have been taken away by all the prior oil filters removed during oil changes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We lost our engine 12,361 miles on it this past Labor Day weekend. They told us it broke the #2 cylinder intake valve, pieces bounced around and broke the tip off the spark plug. We were just cruising along, running smooth then noticed the unusual RPM began as we were heading up to a traffic light stop. Then the engine stalled.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
754 Posts
We lost our engine 12,361 miles on it this past Labor Day weekend. They told us it broke the #2 cylinder intake valve, pieces bounced around and broke the tip off the spark plug. We were just cruising along, running smooth then noticed the unusual RPM began as we were heading up to a traffic light stop. Then the engine stalled.
What year and model was it?
Was it covered under warranty?

·
Registered
349 Posts
In my Facebook Santa Fe owners group, I had 2 report of engine failure in the last 2 days. One was over 100,000 miles! Will Hyundai recall and fix the issue, or at least offer warranty?

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
What you get for replacement = what Hyundai has to replace engine with.. Long Block, you lucky to get one in most case..

YF Sonata recall gets long block per recall instructions.. draw to that is engines run 2+month to ship... we been 3+ already before engine arrive for Sonata

Most instance, they do not have engine for DM,, so it be a short block, new bare head (they dont pay HOOT), old vavles from old head slapped into new head, new cams and misc, add valve adjust (here agian we only get 54 minutes additional to swap valves from old head to new head, and adjust valves as required.. then buckets have to be ordered, sometimes the buckets on "INTERGALLACTIC BACKORDER"...

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
132 repair for YF Sonata -

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just blew the other day at 80,00 miles. 2.0T in a 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe. The rental car that my local dealer uses told me they have rented out 50 cars THIS MONTH due to blown engines. That's just my dealer.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts