Hyundai Forums banner

Your Engine That Failed Was A:

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Who is adding a little extra oil?
The Hyundai techs. When swapping out the engines, they put a little more oil in than recommended. That's not to say that all Hyundai techs do it. It's the tech's dealer, whom I talked to. They're not even allowed to strip down the engines. Bad engines are boxed up and shipped away. After doing it a while, they narrowed it down to bad non-oem filters and desiring more oil.

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
Ok that makes sense, not sure about the overfilling though. I suspect many of the engines they see come from fast lube type places who use the cheapest bulk oil and filters that fit. It always baffles me how some people can be so cheap when it comes to an oil change on a $20-30K vehicle.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Ok that makes sense, not sure about the overfilling though. I suspect many of the engines they see come from fast lube type places who use the cheapest bulk oil and filters that fit. It always baffles me how some people can be so cheap when it comes to an oil change on a $20-30K vehicle.
Agree with you 100%!! Don't know what these fast lube places charge, but I get coupons from my Hyundai dealer for $30 for the oil change.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My dealer says Hyundai will have a fit if an engine goes bad and non OEM filters are used, they will start nitpicking things. I purchased the "oil change package" they offer with a new vehicle purchase. Can't beat 10 changes for $100. They use a Syn-Blend oil too. I did an oil analysis at the last oil change and it came back near perfect.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
My dealer says Hyundai will have a fit if an engine goes bad and non OEM filters are used, they will start nitpicking things. I purchased the "oil change package" they offer with a new vehicle purchase. Can't beat 10 changes for $100. They use a Syn-Blend oil too. I did an oil analysis at the last oil change and it came back near perfect.
10 oil changes for $100?? I will never pass on that!

·
Registered
86 Posts
10 oil changes for $100?? I will never pass on that!
That's what I'm saying. I can buy it one more time at the same price as well. You just have to be rather firm at telling them "NO", when they try to sell you extra services the first time or two. They just leave me alone when I come in now lol.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I have been dealing with the same Hyundai dealer for about 14 years. Know everyone at the place and they treat me well. When I make the appointments I always get the same service writer and he has never tried to up sell anything.

As far as oil changes, I get $30.00 coupons. Works well when you have two Hyundais. Why at the dealer, you may ask, well it is all in their computer and should anything happen to the car, it's on their dime.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can't help with the poll but noticed a used car (2016 SFS 2.4L) that has "replaced engine" at around 16K miles listed in it's Carfx service history.

Is there a way for used car shoppers to look at engine and figure out if it was a "good" replacement?

It's priced a grand less than another SFS with same miles/features so I'm guessing the pricing relates to carfx not being completely "clean". It could be the better deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2014 2.0L Turbo AWD - BLOWN MOTOR 53XXX Km's on the motor.

I noticed a noise on the way highway on my way home this past thursday night, thought that maybe something the car next to me or something. Once off the highway heard the noise some more. Pulled off the road right away and checked under the hood, checked under the car didn't see anything leaking or spewing. Grabbed my roll of paper towel and checked the oil. It was perfect, no issues at all almost at the top dot. Drop it 5 minutes down the road to home. Parked it and came back 15 minutes later to check on it, to make sure the oil was fine. Again perfect.

First thing in the morning I called the dealer and let them know I would be bringing the car in to check out the noise...Made it 20 minutes from my house and *BOOM* complete failure on the highway.

After towing the car to the same dealer I bought it from. They said that they couldn't look at it right away and would get to it by the Saturday morning. So i head home with my wife in her car. This morning I called the dealer and spoke to the service advisor, who tried to lie and say that the car didn't have any oil in it ?!?!?! WTF I told her that was absolute bull ****, because i checked it the night before and the morning i tried to bring it in. She said that they would need my service records.....NO F#CKING PROBLEM, I bought all my filters at Hyundai and have the receipts for my oil and service when I bring it to my mechanic. I expect a fight ahead of me, to get this covered under warranty.

Fingers crossed this doesn't become a fight. :|

·
Registered
16 Posts
After towing the car to the same dealer I bought it from. They said that they couldn't look at it right away and would get to it by the Saturday morning. So i head home with my wife in her car. This morning I called the dealer and spoke to the service advisor, who tried to lie and say that the car didn't have any oil in it ?!?!?! WTF I told her that was absolute bull ****, because i checked it the night before and the morning i tried to bring it in. She said that they would need my service records.....NO F#CKING PROBLEM, I bought all my filters at Hyundai and have the receipts for my oil and service when I bring it to my mechanic. I expect a fight ahead of me, to get this covered under warranty.

Fingers crossed this doesn't become a fight. :|
Why would there be a fight? What's a 100k warranty worth if you can't use it? It's very disappointing that Hyundai offers these and then tries to lie about oil to get out of honoring it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agreed. I have all my receipts for my Hyundai oil filters purchased at the dealership as well as the service records from my mechanic, which is something I really like about him. He charges tax so no cash jobs and always a papertrail, his reasoning is sounds for doing it. Especially now that something like this happens and the dealer is asking for them. I left him a voice message yesterday afternoon and sent me a text message and said not to worry he has everything the dealer would need. He even still has the used jug of oil and filter from my last oil change 2 weeks ago if need be !!!! I don't know what else the dealer could want as proof that I maintained the car.

Maybe i'm just being paranoid and the dealer will take care of this without an issue. But that initial comment from the service advisor, about the car not having any oil in it really annoyed me. Trying to shift blame so quick when the engines clearly have a known issue in critical faillure (some have been lucky that they found it before it caused any major damage).

I'll keep you posted on how Team Hyundai in Brampton, Ontario Canada, handles this situation. I know that if I need to involve their CFO, I have his personal Cell phone number, since he's the one who had me go there in the first place to buy the car. Keeping that Ace in my back pocket for now and really hope the dealer is going to stand behind their vehicle warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe i'm just being paranoid and the dealer will take care of this without an issue. But that initial comment from the service advisor, about the car not having any oil in it really annoyed me. Trying to shift blame so quick when the engines clearly have a known issue in critical faillure (some have been lucky that they found it before it caused any major damage).
You have reason to be paranoid because someone from the dealership lied to you about being out of oil. Pretty much the only reason to lie is to get out of covering it but I'm not sure why a dealer would do that. Corporate should pay for the work and dealers should feel like they can do an honest inspection and cover even if didn't have perfect documentation.

Glad you posted, it's a good lesson for me and keeping receipts and records.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Here is my take on oil changes and I am sure some may disagree with me on this, but hey, it's ok to have your own thought and believes!

As you get older (and I am) you may not want to get under the car anymore. So I take it to the dealer and for $30 it is done. The other thing is that if I ever have a problem with the engine it is all in their computer and on their dime. One thing I do is to check all fluids once a week as well as the tire pressure.

Btw, how much do you spend if you buy an oem filter and go to a parts store and buy 5 quarts of regular branded oil? Just trying to justify my $30 spent at the dealer.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Here is my take on oil changes and I am sure some may disagree with me on this, but hey, it's ok to have your own thought and believes!

As you get older (and I am) you may not want to get under the car anymore. So I take it to the dealer and for $30 it is done. The other thing is that if I ever have a problem with the engine it is all in their computer and on their dime. One thing I do is to check all fluids once a week as well as the tire pressure.

Btw, how much do you spend if you buy an oem filter and go to a parts store and buy 5 quarts of regular branded oil? Just trying to justify my $30 spent at the dealer.
ok - I'm 64 and still do my own oil changes, don't "enjoy it" quite as much as in my younger days, but a few comments :

- SilentSam's initial comment from the Hyundai service dept and my own personal experience with other dealer service depts is why I would probably change my own oil even if the service dept did it for free. I would create an ugly scene with the service dept if I got the response SilentSam did as it's totally unwarranted and unprofessional. Do these people understand the definition of "service" and customer sat.

- Doing it in my garage I can choose my own schedule and OCI and know it's done right. Don't have to drive to the dealership and sit in a room with other people who would rather be somewhere else.

- Lastly I buy Hyundai OEM filters for $ 4.50 and as I use syn or semi syn oil the cost for 5 quarts falls between $15 and $20 .

So for now my old and creaky body will crawl under the car and be a DIM, do it myself.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
ok - I'm 64 and still do my own oil changes, don't "enjoy it" quite as much as in my younger days, but a few comments :

- SilentSam's initial comment from the Hyundai service dept and my own personal experience with other dealer service depts is why I would probably change my own oil even if the service dept did it for free. I would create an ugly scene with the service dept if I got the response SilentSam did as it's totally unwarranted and unprofessional. Do these people understand the definition of "service" and customer sat.

- Doing it in my garage I can choose my own schedule and OCI and know it's done right. Don't have to drive to the dealership and sit in a room with other people who would rather be somewhere else.

- Lastly I buy Hyundai OEM filters for $ 4.50 and as I use syn or semi syn oil the cost for 5 quarts falls between $15 and $20 .

So for now my old and creaky body will crawl under the car and be a DIM, do it myself.
Yes, I hear you!! Old age is no fun.

Guess I have been extremely lucky with my dealership when it comes to service. Great bunch of guys and very helpful. In my case for an extra $5 I don't have to get under the car and if something goes wrong it's on their dime.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wish my dealer charged $30 for an oil change. Mine charges $49 for an oil change (nothing else) and they take about 1.5 hours to do it even with an appointment. The dealership is a 30 minute ride to get there, so I spend $50 and have at least 2.5 hours gone just for an oil change. I just ran out of my free oil changes, so I will be having a local guy that is a 2 minute drive from me do it for $20. Been using him for 2 years on my other car and no problems so far.

When my first engine blew on my 2.0T Sonata (a rod let go and blew a hole in the top of the block) I had to give up all oil change receipts. I had 2 done at the dealer, one at my local place and one at a Jiffy Lube while I was out of state traveling. There was no fight and they replaced my engine. It did take 2+ weeks though for them to accept it, deliver an engine and replace it. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Yes, I hear you!! Old age is no fun.

Guess I have been extremely lucky with my dealership when it comes to service. Great bunch of guys and very helpful. In my case for an extra $5 I don't have to get under the car and if something goes wrong it's on their dime.
yes undoubtedly there are some good dealerships - but the flip side of letting someone else do something like an oil change is the places - not necessarily dealerships that screw something up and then deny it. Really quite outlandish that a service guy shoots from the hip saying Sams engine must have run out of oil.

I have had good experiences at a Hyundai dealership where I take the car annually for my gas mileage reading - they just verify the odometer and don't try to sell me anything else - perfect from my perspective.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
yes undoubtedly there are some good dealerships - but the flip side of letting someone else do something like an oil change is the places - not necessarily dealerships that screw something up and then deny it. Really quite outlandish that a service guy shoots from the hip saying Sams engine must have run out of oil.

I have had good experiences at a Hyundai dealership where I take the car annually for my gas mileage reading - they just verify the odometer and don't try to sell me anything else - perfect from my perspective.
Oh, absolutely! Some dealers are not worth their names! Don't know why they try to play hardball with some.

This only an opinion and as we can see, some have had really ba experiences with dealerships. I go in the Internet, make an appointment and I am in and out in one hour. This gives me a chance to walk proud the lot and enjoy the new cars.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Why would there be a fight? What's a 100k warranty worth if you can't use it? It's very disappointing that Hyundai offers these and then tries to lie about oil to get out of honoring it.
That's true but, it shouldn't be a surprise that Hyundai lied about having no oil, they did the same thing in the whole 2011-2012 Sonata engine situation before it became a recall.

141 - 160 of 186 Posts