Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just venting now, my uncle is a tech at Honda. And his dealer is right next to Kia. Goes to lunch with the Kia guys everyday. Said they are replacing engines left and right mostly 2.4 in optima and soranto pretty much everyday now.

Also said that most of the cars are maintained there with the oem oil filter and 5w20 oil. It’s the ones that get traded in with over 150k Miles that have frams/ k&n and other filters that are aftermarket that have never been serviced at the dealer are running great... also said even the techs don’t use oem anything because most of it it crap from Korea.

Now I Dunno how much of this is true. But my uncle could care less about any car. He’s not biased at all either so I don’t think he’s lieing...

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I would strongly suggest you don't buy a Hyundai. Gosh it might also be a piece of crap from Korea. Most people buy non genius parts because they are cheaper not inferior.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just venting now, my uncle is a tech at Honda. And his dealer is right next to Kia. Goes to lunch with the Kia guys everyday. Said they are replacing engines left and right mostly 2.4 in optima and soranto pretty much everyday now.

Also said that most of the cars are maintained there with the oem oil filter and 5w20 oil. It’s the ones that get traded in with over 150k Miles that have frams/ k&n and other filters that are aftermarket that have never been serviced at the dealer are running great... also said even the techs don’t use oem anything because most of it it crap from Korea.

Now I Dunno how much of this is true. But my uncle could care less about any car. He’s not biased at all either so I don’t think he’s lieing...
OEM engine oil? No such animal. All manufacturers use well known brands.

Hyundai use Quaker state/ Shell in the USA.

Hyundai use Havoline/Caltex in Australia.

If the OEM oil filter was the problem, why would Hyundai not save big money on engine replacements and contract any number of well known oil filter companies to produce filters for them, thus solving their engine problems which are resulting in bad press for Hyundai.

I suspect poorly designed direct injection systems to be mainly the problem and perhaps oil viscosity.

Well known oil brands comply with a standard and provided the correct viscosity oil is used no harm will come to your engine.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
OEM engine oil? No such animal. All manufacturers use well known brands.

Hyundai use Quaker state/ Shell in the USA.

Hyundai use Havoline/Caltex in Australia.

If the OEM oil filter was the problem, why would Hyundai not save big money on engine replacements and contract any number of well known oil filter companies to produce filters for them, thus solving their engine problems which are resulting in bad press for Hyundai.

I suspect poorly designed direct injection systems to be mainly the problem and perhaps oil viscosity.

Well known oil brands comply with a standard and provided the correct viscosity oil is used no harm will come to your engine.

I think he stated oem filter and not oil.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

colinr4329, have you heard of engine failures like this in Australia?

I suspect the 5w-20 oil that is recommended here plus direct injection to be part of the problem. Environment another. I noticed one member in Texas that his big dealership reporting very few engine replacements, but forum members in Canada reporting a lot of engine failures this winter. It was a very cold winter.

It is just not Hyundai having issues. Honda's 1.5 motor is having fuel dilution problem causing a recall in China.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...cars-in-china-over-engine-issue-idUSKBN1FW124

·
Registered
130 Posts
colinr4329, have you heard of engine failures like this in Australia?

I suspect the 5w-20 oil that is recommended here plus direct injection to be part of the problem. Environment another. I noticed one member in Texas that his big dealership reporting very few engine replacements, but forum members in Canada reporting a lot of engine failures this winter. It was a very cold winter.

It is just not Hyundai having issues. Honda's 1.5 motor is having fuel dilution problem causing a recall in China.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...cars-in-china-over-engine-issue-idUSKBN1FW124
Before buying my first new vehicle and being retired, I carried out research on the vehicles within my budget this was done by Australian internet searches from long term car reviews and speaking to people involved in car repairs (dealers and independents).

The Elantra MPI engines and the vehicles proved to be as trouble free as other brands that I looked at.
As a result I am unaware of engine failures on Elantra MPI engines of course that does not mean that failures have not occurred, perhaps other Australians could provide greater insight.

Cold weather may create problems in some vehicles.
When I lived in the UK and done contract work for a Mazda dealer, a six month old Mazda 323 (rear wheel drive) had been setting overnight awaiting its service.
When an attempt was made to start the vehicle the engine seized when the camshaft welded itself to the cylinder head due to oil draining from the camshaft, cold thick engine oil, and a lack of an anti drain valve in the oil filter. The battery was in a fully charged condition. The overnight temp was not cold, probably around 2 degree centigrade.
Hope this post was not too long.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Before buying my first new vehicle and being retired, I carried out research on the vehicles within my budget this was done by Australian internet searches from long term car reviews and speaking to people involved in car repairs (dealers and independents).

The Elantra MPI engines and the vehicles proved to be as trouble free as other brands that I looked at.
As a result I am unaware of engine failures on Elantra MPI engines of course that does not mean that failures have not occurred, perhaps other Australians could provide greater insight.

Cold weather may create problems in some vehicles.
When I lived in the UK and done contract work for a Mazda dealer, a six month old Mazda 323 (rear wheel drive) had been setting overnight awaiting its service.
When an attempt was made to start the vehicle the engine seized when the camshaft welded itself to the cylinder head due to oil draining from the camshaft, cold thick engine oil, and a lack of an anti drain valve in the oil filter. The battery was in a fully charged condition. The overnight temp was not cold, probably around 2 degree centigrade.
Crikey! What a long post!

Kidding aside, thanks for sharing your experience!
I feel like you get promised longevity and MPG only if you live in a place like San Diego where temps are fairly consistent ~70 and drive like a stereotypical Toyota Prius owner. </RantEnd>

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Hyundai might use Quakerstate for the factory fill. Some dealers will use it for warranty issues, like when replacing the engine.
But, a dealer is a business and their quicklube can use whatever brand bulk/tote/barrel oil they want delivered. Don't assume a dealer is using QS or even the correct grade, for your maintenance. Bulk delivered oil can be hit/miss with quality.

People who DIY usually take good care of their cars, check everything in a timely manner, and address issues. Dealer only service is nothing to brag about especially when a consumer runs out of oil or skips a few oil changes. This is why many will go 200k without issues and others make a habit of puking engines.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Not too long for me. I find your posts provide helpful info written in a nice way.

Hyundai might use Quakerstate for the factory fill. Some dealers will use it for warranty issues, like when replacing the engine.
But, a dealer is a business and their quicklube can use whatever brand bulk/tote/barrel oil they want delivered. Don't assume a dealer is using QS or even the correct grade, for your maintenance. Bulk delivered oil can be hit/miss with quality.

People who DIY usually take good care of their cars, check everything in a timely manner, and address issues. Dealer only service is nothing to brag about especially when a consumer runs out of oil or skips a few oil changes. This is why many will go 200k without issues and others make a habit of puking engines.
Bought a dealer maintained Saturn and was told dealership had all the records. It showed the skipped oil changes and there was a brown mark below one quart low on the dipstick. It was an oil burner and I could tell oil it was run low on oil.

I have a friend that had their Windstar serviced at a shop. The engine caught on fire one day when driving. Replaced with an RX300. Five years after ownership they did not know how to open the hood when I changed the battery. From that day on I did all the oil changes and checked things regularly.

OCD and DIY go together nicely. :grin2:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrx7conv View Post

Agreed , dealers can use whatever brand they wish without having any effect on warranty provided the oil is the correct spec.
Having worked in the trade, I have never come across a dealership using an incorrect oil spec as this could mean losing the dealership and a knock on their door from consumer affairs requesting the balls of the dealership owner.

This has happened to some dealerships involved in warranty fraud and failing to abide by instructions from the manufacturer of the vehicle.

DIY people can and indeed do look after their vehicles very well, with the help of forums such as this one.

However I have lost count of the number of screw-up’s that dealers and independents have encountered as a result of some DIY involvement in maintenance and as result provides a useful income for them. Same goes for home renovation.

If one is not sure seek advice, it could save you a lot of money.

It is not unknown for many owners to skip servicing requirements once outside the warranty period. Buyers of second hand vehicles be aware.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My Kia dealer uses Total synthetic blend. They used to use Motorcraft blend. My Hyundai dealer wants to use conventional oil for my 1.6 turbo. No thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
My Kia dealer uses Total synthetic blend. They used to use Motorcraft blend. My Hyundai dealer wants to use conventional oil for my 1.6 turbo. No thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...sounds contradictory...total 100% syn and blend...who knows?
(unless "Total" is the branding) :confused:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post

I think he means blend to describe conventional (dino) oil, semi synthetic oil or full synthetic oil.

Total oil is the preferred supplier in some countries.

Hyundai informed me that they have no preference on oil blends as long as the oil meets the specs in the owners manual and therefore the dealer may well use conventional (dino) oil if it meets the specs and oil change interval.

However I would use synthetic oil in a turbo but still stick to the correct oil chance intervals.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Agreed , dealers can use whatever brand they wish without having any effect on warranty provided the oil is the correct spec.
Having worked in the trade, I have never come across a dealership using an incorrect oil spec as this could mean losing the dealership and a knock on their door from consumer affairs requesting the balls of the dealership owner.

This has happened to some dealerships involved in warranty fraud and failing to abide by instructions from the manufacturer of the vehicle.

DIY people can and indeed do look after their vehicles very well, with the help of forums such as this one.

However I have lost count of the number of screw-up’s that dealers and independents have encountered as a result of some DIY involvement in maintenance and as result provides a useful income for them. Same goes for home renovation.

If one is not sure seek advice, it could save you a lot of money.

It is not unknown for many owners to skip servicing requirements once outside the warranty period. Buyers of second hand vehicles be aware.
Your statement have much truth. I bought 3 vehicles from the same dealership chain. They used Castrol at all of the dealerships. Foriegn/domestic did not matter. I am sure it was getting a good price for an oil that would meet the requirements of all the brands they sold.

I am one of the screw-ups. :grin2: I remember in graduate school installing the tranmission modulator the carb of my 69 Ford Fairlane. It did give the transmission shop a belly laugh. Just because you DIY, does not mean you know what you are doing. The internet provides enough technical info that I have become competent in some things.

All three vehicles I bought at dealerships were poorly maintained or mechanical problems when traded in. I paid a heavy price for my ignorance. It would be nice to know how many people actually follow what the owner's manual says regarding maintenance. Lack of maintenance is good for repair shops and bad for second owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post

I think he means blend to describe conventional (dino) oil, semi synthetic oil or full synthetic oil.

Total oil is the preferred supplier in some countries.

Hyundai informed me that they have no preference on oil blends as long as the oil meets the specs in the owners manual and therefore the dealer may well use conventional (dino) oil if it meets the specs and oil change interval.

However I would use synthetic oil in a turbo but still stick to the correct oil chance intervals.
I think Total is pronounced Toe tal.

I have gallons of Chevron Supreme 10w-30 that meets Hyundai spec. Based on info you posted I will use with confidence.

DIY maintenance was required when I grew up. It is becoming a lost art. I am sure the trend to have less involvement in maintenance and giving the responsibility to someone else is part of the problem with engine failures.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Just venting now, my uncle is a tech at Honda. And his dealer is right next to Kia. Goes to lunch with the Kia guys everyday. Said they are replacing engines left and right mostly 2.4 in Optima and Sorento pretty much everyday now.

Cole Honda / KIA / Nissan ?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
We have some plain bulk in 1 container,, and supposedly QS Synthetic in the other

Customer comes in for oil change, they get the plain oil, unless they ask for/specify they want the synthetic oil..

Our customer is also free to supply their own oil,, we dont discriminate, we still get or our labor money, so we still win

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Cole Honda / KIA / Nissan ?
sbr711 have you given your hiding location? Bill Cole in Ashland, KY, or Bluefield, WV. They're going to find you if you're not careful! :ph34r:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts