Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dec 2000 plated 1.5ltr 2 door hatch manual Accent. It has provided me with trouble free service until recently.

I have noticed of late that when sitting at idle (usually when waiting at traffic lights etc.) it will suddenly start to idle quite fast. I don't have a rev. guage fitted but I believe it to rev to over 2, 500rpm. After I punch the accelerator a couple of times it seems to return to it's normal 750rpm idle.

In addition to the above the vehicle seems to run very rough when accelerating. It coughs and splutters as if starved for fuel but once the revs rise above a certain point the engine comes good. At steady cruising the engine seems fine.

I have checked the throttle assembly for any form of stiffness and all sensor connectors to ensure that they are all properly seated as with all the major hoses but I have not found anything out of the ordinary.

The car is due for it's 60, 000klm service but I was hoping you could help before I get some story from the dealer. I only use quality fuels such as Shell, BP, etc. and I don't believe that I am running the car in too high a gear when accelerating thus causing this behaviour.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Ta..... :huh:

4 Posts
try changing the sparkies. I did this for my girlfriend's accent and it is not as 'rough' as before but still a little. As for idling fast I dont know. Hopefully someone else has some ideas.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have several options that mayhelp:-

- Check the engine oil level and condition - lack of or bad oil can cause an engine to run very rough.

- Check the engine side of the trottle cable (the lever assembly) - is it sticking? - I had a similar problem with my las car idling high because the throttle lever on the engine side kept sticking and rapidly hitting the throttle lever would normally make it idle at the normal RPM.

- Check your spark plugs - as "Girlfriend Drives an Accent" said ... they may be worn / damaged (if they are discoloured in any way that may give an indication to what's wrong - let me know and I'll find out what it means).

- Try and Injector Cleaning Compound - normally a fluid that you put in your fuel which helps to clean out your injector nozzles.

Good luck fixing the motor.

oh, does the car still have some kind of warrenty? - if so don't try fixing anything - take it to a dealer, take them out for a drive and show them what's wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
try removing the injectors one at a time and blow them out with an air compressor at about 30 psi give each one about ten short blasts of air starting at the jet end nda alternating ends between each blast .......worked wonders on mine when i had same problem do i it every time i service the car now and its been fine ever since u should notice a better response from the car as well

·
Registered
422 Posts
If the vehicle does this on its own, it is only one thing and that is an electrical fault.

The main thing that fails in this situation is the TPS, it sends the ECU a high input signal causing the vehicle to idle up, even though the throttle is stil closed by means of air supply through the ISC valve.

However the other component that could be at fault here is the map sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure), these can also provide a high input signal to the ECU causing a rough running and high idle situation.

I would inspect these things first before replacing anything, however I would not be worried too much about it, because if you notify your dealer when you take it in for a service, then they will carry out a code check using the Hi Scan, and this will confrm my speculations anyway and the part should then be replaced under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts