Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a high pitched but low volume squeak the other day. Narrowed it down to the idler pulley being a little off. The belt was rubbing on the cover.

Had no choice but to drive it to work.
Today... after arriving home I heard no squeaking... The belt on the idler pulley is now running where it should be but where it was rubbing on the cover I can now see it has worn through. (see pic)

Yes I know I should replace that pulley now .. and I should probably do the timing belt as well. I've had the vehicle for about 5,000 miles now and don't know the prior history as far as that goes.

Has this happened to anybody here before?
Should I replace that cover too now?

:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Look at the crank pulley to be maybe seperated..

Cover not a typical stocking item at dealer level, if you decide to replace it with timing belt re-assemble, get it ordered ahead of time.. part number good at Kia dealer too if Hyundai not have it, check Kia before placing order either place

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out of necessity, I've had to put a few more miles on it. :eek: Watching closely... it doesn't always run off and rub. When it has though it's worn through the cover a bit more.

I may not be able to go through the whole timing belt changing process for another week or so, but I need the vehicle!

What about just changing out the idler pully? (for now of course)

That's only about $25
(and please correct me if I'm wrong)
a 15 minute simple job.

:confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts