Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Way too many threads on this topic, thanks US Gov for forcing artificial mileage standards like ISG including perhaps GDI engines in general (how does the Toyota 2.5 4 cylinder do good MPGs with simpler MPI?).

My 2.4's ISG has mainly stopped working now that winter has arrived in Minnesota. Even yesterday with temps in the 40s F it never went off in a full day of driving so I doubt if it will kick in more than a dozen times until March. Personally I'm more concerned with the 953 campaign implications to 8-9 years of engine reliability. Despite that it's a great comfy vehicle for road trips and dealing with unpredictable road conditions.

·
Registered
266 Posts
ISG stands for Idle Stop and Go. I’m sure they have it in Scotland too.

The Hyundai ISG system works great, when it works. Unfortunately, there seems to be a big glitch in the system that keeps it off more than on. Mine hasn’t worked for weeks.

AGAIN, earlier forum threads on this subject are much longer and much more informative. It’s not so difficult to find them; ISG is in the title. The more (needless) threads on a subject, the more difficult it becomes to focus discussion and share information.
Ernie, are you planning on ignoring it, or having it serviced? Right now, during the Winter, I would prefer that it's off all the time anyway, but come Spring, I'm hoping to gather more info from everyone on here to narrow down the cause and fix.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ernie, are you planning on ignoring it, or having it serviced? Right now, during the Winter, I would prefer that it's off all the time anyway, but come Spring, I'm hoping to gather more info from everyone on here to narrow down the cause and fix.
No, I’m in no big rush to get it fixed. My speculation is that it relates to a lower than spec battery charge level.

·
Registered
266 Posts
No, I’m in no big rush to get it fixed. My speculation is that it relates to a lower than spec battery charge level.
Hey Ernie, That was one of the reasons I had them check the battery when I went in. I was concerned that it was the cause of the ISG problem. They told me it tested over 800 cranking amps. They never said what the charge level was. However, If I recall correctly, the last time it did work, the outside temp was probably over 50F. I realize the conditions it won't work is much lower than that but maybe that's not accurate either.
I guess I'll just wait and see what happens in the Spring.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I just brought my 2019 Ultimate 2.0T in for its first service/oil change. I told them my ISG was not working. They kept the car overnight and said it was a battery issue and they charged it. The tech noted that It appears as though the charging system is working fine though. The service adviser said it took 4 hours for the system to re-calibrate. I don't know how that could be but it does work now. We'll see for how long.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So what caused the battery issue?
They never said. The charging system checked out fine. Maybe in a month or so, I'll have another issue. I'm wondering if this vehicle just sucks a lot out of the battery if it sits idle too long. I only use it on weekends. It's garaged all week though, not that would make a difference.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Intelligent Stop & Go

And I feel your pain. I wouldn't want this stupid system on my car either.
I bet it was developed due to the smothering gas mileage regulations that were pushed so hard a few years ago. I'm surprised all cars aren't made from recycled aluminum beer cans by now.

Even though my wife's Honda Odyssey SUV is 15 years old, I still marvel at the solidness and quiet of her big iron engine. It makes my buzzy/growling Santa Fe engine sound like a kid's toy by comparison. (Her gas tank is a monster though!)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I only have 30 miles of experience in my 2020 SEL (driving it home from the dealer yesterday morning) but I thought the ISG was kinda cool. I saw it work a few times. The engine restarts the instant I take my foot off the brake and long before I get it back on the gas.

I had to make one stop running the home highway because the diesel detectives were blocking the road to inspect and weigh trucks. At that time I had the shifter in the manual gate and noticed the ISG didn't work for that stop.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The problem is not that the ISG doesn't ever work or is always a problem, in fact the Hyundai implementation is much better than other car manufacturers that have a very jerky takeoff. The problem is that the ISG adds complexity, cost, potential for failure and a host of other problems for very very little gas savings. Also, very few car buyers would choose to have it if they were charged for it and given the option to go without.

Here's a great report on ISG:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The problem is not that the ISG doesn't ever work or is always a problem, in fact the Hyundai implementation is much better than other car manufacturers that have a very jerky takeoff. The problem is that the ISG adds complexity, cost, potential for failure and a host of other problems for very very little gas savings. Also, very few car buyers would choose to have it if they were charged for it and given the option to go without.

Here's a great report on ISG:
It’s hard to take this video seriously given the oddball presenter’s raw mouth and excrement fixations. He’s probably a Flat Earth movement leader too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It’s hard to take this video seriously given the oddball presenter’s raw mouth and excrement fixations. He’s probably a Flat Earth movement leader too.
He undermines his credibility with some of his jokes and they do get tired. But he is an automotive expert and his data is sound and verifiable.

·
Registered
370 Posts
...I had to make one stop running the home highway because the diesel detectives were blocking the road to inspect and weigh trucks. At that time I had the shifter in the manual gate and noticed the ISG didn't work for that stop.
My experience is the ISG works only 25% of the time at the first stop after highway / high speed driving. It works consistently at city traffic condition which I don't like because excessive wear and tear, and minimum benefit since the engine already reached normal operating condition. I would prefer ISG to work on a cold engine if the temperature permits because that is the time it pollutes the most, but USG ( :) unintelligent) doesn't work on cold engine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know if anyone mentioned this but having ISG engage at 4 way stops are annoying. I almost want to do a rolling stop and break the law in doing so to prevent ISG to kick in. It also annoys me when pulling into my garage and it kicks in when i come to a stop. The only time I would allow ISG is when stopped at a light and I know that the wait would be long. Other than that, disengaging ISG is normal practice for me every time I start my car, just as common as putting my seat belt on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh indeed, ignore the good technical information graphs and all and offer a useless "rebuttal" involving flat Earth theories. High school debate team?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts