Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0 turbo. I searched the forums for an answer to this and could not find one. I have 3750 miles on the car and until today the ISG worked as designed. Today the dash indicator turns red at a stop and the engine stays on. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
91 Posts
mine turns yellow periodically when I stop but I have no idea why it sometimes stops the engine and other times it doesn't

·
Registered
370 Posts
+1 with jeffjc. I know there are multiple conditions for it to work. But what can be not met when I have been driving for 30 mins and it didn't activate at stop.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
It wont work when there is too much electrical load on the alternator. Folk tend to drive with a lot of electrics on at this time of year which can stop the system from working. The outside air temp needs to be above a specific value for it to work too. I don't know what the figure is off the top of my head but if it's getting down below freezing that could be the cause of it not shutting the engine down.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine turns yellow periodically when I stop but I have no idea why it sometimes stops the engine and other times it doesn't
I know that the manual says there are many conditions that must be met for the engine to stop. Yellow means a condition was not me...I think! I have a bad feeling that red means ...Go To Dealer!
It wont work when there is too much electrical load on the alternator. Folk tend to drive with a lot of electrics on at this time of year which can stop the system from working. The outside air temp needs to be above a specific value for it to work too. I don't know what the figure is off the top of my head but if it's getting down below freezing that could be the cause of it not shutting the engine down.
I get that but wouldn't the icon be yellow, not red?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've no idea. I've never driven a Hyundai with ISG.

Well, why don't you? Or at least call them and ask what the red light means.
I did call to ask the service manager that question and he said we'll deal with it when you get your first service which is this coming Thursday. I pressed for an answer and by the way he was blubbering, it was apparent he did not know the answer. This is the same guy that told me FCA doesnt stop the car, it just assists in "putting pressure on the brakes". I believe I will be seeking out another dealership after this service if i don't get answers. This guy makes me feel as though I'm bothering him because I have a list of 5 items that need attention since I took delivery in July. I have only 3800 miles on it now.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
I pressed for an answer and by the way he was blubbering, it was apparent he did not know the answer.
That's because he's a service manager, not a vehicle technician. A lot of service managers have never worked on a car in their lives.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I hear ya, but it works sometimes when I am driving and sometimes not. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason as to why. I'll pull up to one light, boom, it goes off, the next one it stays on.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
+1 with jeffjc. I know there are multiple conditions for it to work. But what can be not met when I have been driving for 30 mins and it didn't activate at stop.
I have found that when braking to stop and slightly release brake then stop normally the IHG does not active. You might be doing this without realizing this is happening

·
Registered
266 Posts
Had my vehicle finally serviced for the recall and told them my ISG hasn't worked for 2 weeks. They confirmed it but now I need to go back again. I'm going to wait and see what develops on this thread to see what results some of you had after taking back to the dealer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
God help us, another ISG thread.
I just picked up a 2020 Santa Fe yesterday and noticed the darn engine stopping while I waited for the traffic light to turn green. Is that "ISG"? What does ISG stand for?

I had a rental car on vacation that did this too. I swore never to buy one. Aggravating. Now I end up with the exact same thing I wanted to avoid. Thankfully there's a button to turn it OFF. But you have to press the button each time you start the car, because the default is ON.
:mad:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
ISG stands for Idle Stop and Go. I’m sure they have it in Scotland too.

The Hyundai ISG system works great, when it works. Unfortunately, there seems to be a big glitch in the system that keeps it off more than on. Mine hasn’t worked for weeks.

AGAIN, earlier forum threads on this subject are much longer and much more informative. It’s not so difficult to find them; ISG is in the title. The more (needless) threads on a subject, the more difficult it becomes to focus discussion and share information.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The worst case is it activated and u need to go almost at the same time. Also, during parking, it activates before I shift to reverse.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts