Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Elantra and noticed after I start it when it's cold the rpm is about 1800rpm but doesn't drop. I never really payed attention on this car but my other cars would drop after a minute or so. Is this normal on the elantra or is something wrong?

·
Registered
461 Posts
No two cars act the same to quote you , but it shouldnt run fast for more than a few minutes. Fast idle on cold start is normal, but if it never drops down somethings amiss.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Jenna,
In cold weather conditions, the ECM (aka: "the computer") will run the engine richer (fuel) and at higher RPMs for the purpose of getting the catalytic converter to reach proper/optimal working temperature sooner rather than later. It should gradually drop the RPMs thereafter.

The ECM monitors air flow and temperature thru the MAF sensor (located at the air intake duct) and engine temperature thru the coolant temp sensor, CTS (located in the area above the engine/trans joint; actually, inches away from the MAF sensor).
In winter weather, my '09 Elantra idles high on startup for 1 to 3 minutes. Our newer '16 Tucson, idles high for 30 - 90 seconds. They both feature different emission control technologies.

I hope this helps.
MV

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,802 Posts
You can test the IAC to see if it is sticking. When it has idled fast for longer than it should, hit it with a screwdriver handle. If it drops it is dirty and needs cleaned or replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts