Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few of yuo suggested that after I did the NSPP, E3 plugs again and the Pulley that My idle problem was mostlikly due to my "funky e3 plugs"We I took them out today and put a set of NGK's in and I did notice a power decrease and I still had the idle problem. So I unhooked the NSPP. Still having the idle problem. So I am convinced that its the pulley. How I am not sure but it started the night I put it on. Let me know if anyone else with the pulley has this problem.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
iv noticed a rough idle sometimes even before the pulley but its very subtle. i think in my case its because of the SRI. how bad is it?

·
Registered
245 Posts
QUOTE (v33sonata @ Nov 25 2010, 11:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374805
a few of yuo suggested that after I did the NSPP, E3 plugs again and the Pulley that My idle problem was mostlikly due to my "funky e3 plugs"We I took them out today and put a set of NGK's in and I did notice a power decrease and I still had the idle problem. So I unhooked the NSPP. Still having the idle problem. So I am convinced that its the pulley. How I am not sure but it started the night I put it on. Let me know if anyone else with the pulley has this problem.
v33sonata,

Are you sure it is the pulley? It may be a new issue such as a vacuum leak (Example: intake gasket).

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you're referring to the crankshaft pulley, and there's a harmonic balancer / dampener involved - you might have the timing messed up if it was not installed properly. The car wouldn't run properly throughout the powerband if this is the case, and you risk bending valves. You'd be tripping a knock sensor on most engines if this was the case.

Idle is generally all sensors. You have an ICAV on most of these engines that is finnicky. Is it throwing any codes or check engine lights? On the Hondas at least, the IAT, ICAV, MAP, and TPS are the most idle picky ones. Any of them getting bumped or knocked loose can cause some idle problems.

Is it just idling too high / low or is it racing? If it's surgy - could be as simple as a gasket / vac leak somewhere.

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (pseudomaniac @ Nov 28 2010, 10:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375269
If you're referring to the crankshaft pulley, and there's a harmonic balancer / dampener involved - you might have the timing messed up if it was not installed properly. The car wouldn't run properly throughout the powerband if this is the case, and you risk bending valves. You'd be tripping a knock sensor on most engines if this was the case.
The Sonata uses a timing chain. The crank pulley drives the serpentine belt which in turn drives all the accessories. It has nothing to do with the timing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (v33sonata @ Nov 28 2010, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375337
Agreeded his evaluation would not support my problem.
Never saw a timing belt hooked up to the crank pulley myself :eyeroll ...chain, belt, makes no difference - completely different rotational assembly for the cams.

If it's wigging out the crankshaft position sensor because of a bad pulley or misalignment - the idle will be rough.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (pseudomaniac @ Nov 28 2010, 02:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375349
Never saw a timing belt hooked up to the crank pulley myself :eyeroll ...chain, belt, makes no difference - completely different rotational assembly for the cams.

If it's wigging out the crankshaft position sensor because of a bad pulley or misalignment - the idle will be rough.
If i remember correctly the Pulley is not used for the crank positing sensor.

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (pseudomaniac @ Nov 28 2010, 04:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375349
Neither have I. You're the one that said "you might have the timing messed up if it was not installed properly" not me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You understand the purpose of the balancer pulley is to offset the vibrations coming out of the crankshaft? So take it off kilter about 2 degrees, strap an alternator, power steering pump, and air conditioner compressor to it, load it up and shazam! The crank shakes.

Ugh..I have to keep reminding myself I'm in a Hyundai forum.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (pseudomaniac @ Nov 29 2010, 03:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375592
You understand the purpose of the balancer pulley is to offset the vibrations coming out of the crankshaft? So take it off kilter about 2 degrees, strap an alternator, power steering pump, and air conditioner compressor to it, load it up and shazam! The crank shakes.

Ugh..I have to keep reminding myself I'm in a Hyundai forum.
Yes cause honda drivers are so much smarter. ROFL!

Anyways Problem has been corrected a bolt my g/f was supposed to tighten on the intake was not to spec. Idle is fine now.

BTW the v6's pulley is not a harmonic balance. I should have known a Honda driver would not give accurate input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts