Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 98 Accent, the idle control valve constantly buzzes when the ignition is turned to run position with the car not running. Should it be doing this? Is there a test to see if it is working properly? on a non-running engine?

·
Registered
12,112 Posts
If you suspect the idle control valve is the cause of your non start just use the accelerator pedal to crack open the throttle a little to see if the engine will start then. If the valve is jammed fully closed it might not be letting enough air to enter the manifold for the engine to start. Opening the throttle valve a little will allow the air to enter.

Is this the old solenoid type valve with the two hoses attached? The way we were told to check those valves was to remove them then shake them up & down next to your ear. You should hear a rattle from a good valve. Not very scientific but it's the way we were told to do it on the Hyundai training course back in the day. I've never come across a car with a faulty one to confirm that's a good test though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you suspect the idle control valve is the cause of your non start just use the accelerator pedal to crack open the throttle a little to see if the engine will start then. If the valve is jammed fully closed it might not be letting enough air to enter the manifold for the engine to start. Opening the throttle valve a little will allow the air to enter.

Is this the old solenoid type valve with the two hoses attached? The way we were told to check those valves was to remove them then shake them up & down next to your ear. You should hear a rattle from a good valve. Not very scientific but it's the way we were told to do it on the Hyundai training course back in the day. I've never come across a car with a faulty one to confirm that's a good test though.
Yes - I took it off a it does rattle when I shake it. I was curious about the buzzing sound. Sounds like a bee with the engine not running and the ignition switch in the run position. Was wondering if that is normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts