Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited in Calypso Red
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Was this section meant to store a phone? If so, it seems that this was poorly designed. If anyone has used it for that, then you know how your phone will knock back and forth when you start and stop. Does anyone use this for something else? Or does anyone have an improvement they made so that you can store your phone without it knocking back and forth? For me, it's just a barren cavity, yearning for something to be put inside it. (It's kind of a slutty slot)

In theory, storing a phone there is nice, but not ideal. I'm hoping someone smarter than me has a better solution/usage for this slit. If not your phone, what do you put there and does it knock back and forth? Would putting the soft-side of velcro in between it work/help?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think some type of rubber insert might work pretty well. I use it occasionally, but as you mentioned the phone goes back and forwards cause of such a large spot. I am going to have my buddy 3D print an insert for my 11 pro max and my s20 plus for a better fit. I'll update with outcome

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
88 Posts
I use this cable when I plug my phone into the car. I also have a pretty thick Spigen case on my LG V30 and it takes up the width of the slot without flopping back and forth.

Jeep Wrangler has the same slot and this video shows it fits the key pretty well. I think ours is a little deep for that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use this cable when I plug my phone into the car. I also have a pretty thick Spigen case on my LG V30 and it takes up the width of the slot without flopping back and forth.

Jeep Wrangler has the same slot and this video shows it fits the key pretty well. I think ours is a little deep for that.
Do you use a cable wit a 90deg head or one that facing straight up. The only USB-C i have currently is straight. I guess i need to invest. I have just gotten to the point of using Bluetooth{Bad Audio Quality} and using my Garmin for nav. When i use my iphone the CartoAir Dongle works flawless for wireless apple carplay. I guess one main reason i keep switching back to my iphone even though the S20 plus is an absolute rock star

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do you use a cable wit a 90deg head or one that facing straight up.
There's a link to the one I use in my last post. It's U-shaped so I can keep the phone top side up and it wont damage the cord being in the slot.
For some reason it's hard to find the sweet-spot for wireless charging on the pad in the car. Maybe it's my thick case?

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
381 Posts
There's a link to the one I use in my last post. It's U-shaped so I can keep the phone top side up and it wont damage the cord being in the slot.
For some reason it's hard to find the sweet-spot for wireless charging on the pad in the car. Maybe it's my thick case?
I haven't had much luck with cables running at speeds less than USB 3.0. That cable max speed is 480Mbps (USB 2) which is the type of cable that has caused cut-outs and failures for me on Android Auto. If it's working for you, that awesome. Maybe it's my phone that needs the high data transfer rate. Since I switched to a 3.0 cable, problems are gone. Only downside is I have yet to find a 90 degree or wrap around cable that runs at USB 3.0.

That leaves me using a straight cable so I rarely put my phone in that slot because the cable sticks straight up. I'll keep looking for a better cable.

·
Registered
381 Posts
At first I thought, "Oh cool."

A few minutes later.... "Huh?"

Do people carry their key in their hand with a push start car? Hmmm.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do people carry their key in their hand with a push start car?
Same thought. Every time I see a Doug Demuro video where he's in a half-million dollar car and mentions the little hole or cutout for the electronic key to live and I'm thinking "Why wouldn't it be in your pocket?"

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited in Calypso Red
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think some type of rubber insert might work pretty well. I use it occasionally, but as you mentioned the phone goes back and forwards cause of such a large spot. I am going to have my buddy 3D print an insert for my 11 pro max and my s20 plus for a better fit. I'll update with outcome
Yes, please do. I'd be curious to see how the insert looks and works for you. If it works, then your buddy could make some money on that as I would definitely want to buy one. But I have a Note 9. It would be a great place for my phone if it wouldn't rock back and forth. I'm going to try some double-sided nano tape and look for some kind of small rubber/plastic filler insert. I just don't want it to look all janky and cheap-o.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think maybe the slot is for holding cards. Toll tickets, id cards, etc. At least that's how I use it. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think maybe the slot is for holding cards. Toll tickets, id cards, etc. At least that's how I use it. :)
That's a handy use. Did not think of that.

You made me think about how some wallets might fit there too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same thought. Every time I see a Doug Demuro video where he's in a half-million dollar car and mentions the little hole or cutout for the electronic key to live and I'm thinking "Why wouldn't it be in your pocket?"

Are we talking same little cutout in cup holders or the ones in the dash and sometimes center console?

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited / 2020 Santa Fe Limited / 64 VW Bug
24 Posts
I'll put my work phone (Samsung S8 w/ Otterbox Defender case) in there. Or a couple Mentos candy rolls.
...can't roll without my sugar....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts