Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Sante Fe 2.0t. It has been freezing in my area near Chicago 18 degrees is the high today. Everytime I go somewhere the inside of my windshield and side windows are covered in frost. This is crazy. I saw a post indicating the it could be from breathing and getting out of the car. That the moisture from our breath is causing it to frost on the interior. That is NOT the problem. I've had many cars that have never encountered this issue. I'm wondering if there is some water being produced behind the dash by a condenser or something causing the interior moisture. I'm taking it into the dealership but wanted to see if anyone had this same problem and any quick solutions so I could avoid that step.
Chicago IL

·
Registered
8,682 Posts
Make sure it is not on recirculate. And if you bring snow in with yor feet this makes it worse. How many people in the car?

The AC will run when the defrost is on unless it has been disabled. But it doesn't run a lot when it is really cold out. Still it does and this helps when there is moisture in the car to dry it out.

I suppose there is the chance the AC drain hose is froze or blocked shut.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Newer cars are so well sealed its hard to get rid of moisture; a/c tries like raspberry is saying.
I actually remove my driver side rubber matts and dump/dry them out once a week, seems to help.
Larger glass area in some cars seems to make it worse for some reason.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Do you park in a heated parking area? Use the Defrost button to clear your windshield. That works amazingly fast.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
When using HVAC,, run the A/C to help "condition" the air before it makes it into remainder of the HVAC system and ducts..

Std flow is inlet to fan, all air pass through A/C evaporator first, then carry on into remainder of HVAC, either around heat core, or through heat core, depending on door angle (temp setting)..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you have the carpet mats? When I switched to winter (rubber mats) the frost inside the vehicle when away. For us the carpet mats were just holding too much water.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It might also help to clean the glass thoroughly. I've noticed frost does not build up (if at all) on a really clean windshield compared to one that is even just moderately dirty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine has been icing up also. I think the vehicle is too well sealed and the air inside is trapped...no leakage. My mats are Weathertechs and it's **** cold here these days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same issue, but it is fog that builds up. My Santa Fe and the '12 Tucson did it. Recirc is off. No moisture brought into the vehicle. Only myself in it. I can use defrost to take it off the window, but it will make it's way back onto the windshield after about 10 minutes. I've been around 'newer' cars, but Hyundai is the only one to do this. Very peculiar indeed for ice and fogging to happen so easily.

·
22,793 Posts
I have the same issue, but it is fog that builds up.

Only myself in it. I can use defrost to take it off the window, but it will make it's way back onto the windshield after about 10 minutes.
I have had similar instances. I turn on the A/C and the defrost to rid myself of it. Done.

There have been instances where it has come back after a period of time, but not always. It can be annoying, as you alluded to. I have had this occur in a Honda CRX, also. Just did the above steps, learned to accept that it sometimes happens, and moved on.

Not the answer you were seeking, but the only one I can offer.

·
Registered
8,682 Posts
If it's humid out you will have to keep the defrost going. If it's not so humid try turning the fan speed up and if it gets too hot tun the temperature down. If the windshield is dirty if builds up water faster as well if there are a couple of people in the car. lot of ifs....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts