Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are a mess with snow and ice in Calgary and having extreme issues with our FWD 6 speed. A car in the summer months but not feeling very safe lately...any suggestions on dealing with this. Would snow tires help ? regretting in Calgary.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Most that I've talked to that try snow tires on FWD vehicles seem to like them, regardless of make. Just hate the hassle of switching tires

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
This is simple. Get winter tires.

AWD helps too, but mostly just with acceleration. My AWD Santa Fe with all-season tires could propel me through deep snow like a jackrabbit, only to instill terror at the first curve or panic stop. The FWD Veracruz with winter tires is more balanced; more leisurely acceleration in snow but tighter braking and cornering.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Probably stock Kumho Solus tires which are WITHOUT A DOUBT IN MY MIND the worst traction in any cold weather/snowy conditions. The tread compound is WAY too firm and slippery NO traction at all worst tire ever in the winter EVER built.

I bought used but like new bridgestone blizzaks and new cheap black steel rims for winter use and LOVE them to death. They grip like glue and even faster and quicker stops and cornering excellent traction than my 4wd pickup with standard passenger tires.

SNOW tires - get them if find a good deal will NOT regret it, trust me.

·
22,788 Posts

...only to instill terror at the first curve or panic stop.
Oh, boy! There's a mouthful of wisdom.

·
Registered
709 Posts

AWD helps too, but mostly just with acceleration. My AWD Santa Fe with all-season tires could propel me through deep snow like a jackrabbit, only to instill terror at the first curve or panic stop. The FWD Veracruz with winter tires is more balanced; more leisurely acceleration in snow but tighter braking and cornering.
Couldn't agree more.

I have winter tires on my FWD SF and never got stuck. Starting uphill on uncleared slushy corner requires gentle touch (especially with a manual transmission like mine. That's when I sometimes disable traction control once I get going to make sure I keep going! :D).

I'm in Ottawa. Not as cold as Calgary (although this winter, it's certainly trying to! :frozen:) But we do have our fair amount of snow and ice which in some ways can be worse because of the frequent meltdowns we get in the middle of winter just to go to -20c a few days later. It's really does a good job at screwing up the roads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts