Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone has ideas.
I
bought our i800, '12' Plate in August - replacing our Chrysler Voyager which just wasn't big enough for my family and luggage. Private purchase, checked by engineer. I'm clueless.
All seemed fine until 2 weeks later, 3 hours into a holiday trip to France. Started losing power on motorway climbs, subtle at first but then majorly. No warning lights but I noticed temperature gauge in red. Stopped asap. Steaming and boiling. Having phoned breakdown company and family (with more clue than me) and let it cool down I tried refilling (into overflow tank - I told you I was clueless - but it had a level gauge!) Two miles later, same issue and this time we bit the bullet and lorry collected us off the motorway and dropped us in a French garage. A week later the garage had decided that it needed a new head gasket and further investigation and probably 3 weeks to sort. Our breakdown company were supportive and agreed to repatriate the car to the UK.

6 weeks (!!) later the car arrived at our local garage (independent, but we've used them for years and trust them). They advised that apart from a completely empty radiator they couldn't find anything wrong. Pressure tested (whatever that means) and couldn't find any head gasket issues and fan seemed to be kicking in appropriately. Great news...or so it seemed.
Several trips locally without problems started rebuilding our confidence. 2 weeks later though a 120 mile trip gave us a wake up call. Again power started dropping on a motorway climb and I noticed temperature rising (but not in red). Managed to get off motorway quickly and find a garage, and this time put water directly into radiator (it was empty by the 5-6 litres I managed to get in). Having cost the breakdown company many thousands already I managed to nurse the car home without any further problems.

Back to local garage and between us though that maybe it was a radiator leak and that in the 2 weeks since the previous problem it had simply drained. Garage admitted that it was not sure this was the problem but having previously checked for more major issues the symptoms would fit with a very small leak. Agreed with them that they'd use a radiator leak liquid to try to fill.

3 weeks further on and several journeys around London without any problems and all seemed good, However with another 200 mile family trip on, I checked water. No problem. No more than an eggcup required. All good. 2 hours later, halfway up the M11, same old problem. Managed to put water in to get off the motorway. Completely empty again.

Symptoms: Overheats but seemingly only after motorway journeys (actually limping home and across London it started overheating again); temperature goes up quickly but bizarrely (to me) does sometimes come down again; there has been (but not always) a power loss as the temperature goes up; once the engine has cooled/water replaced, there is no evidence (that I notice) of reduced power; the overflow water tank seems to still have water in it even when radiator is ostensibly empty (??); this weekend during the latest problems we noticed (and I presume it is unconnected) that the heating in the car was patchy (non existent or hot even on the highest setting).

Having given the garage I trust a couple of goes at resolving this, I'm tempted to use a main dealer in the hope that they understand the Hyundai engine better and may have an idea on this. I actually really like the car to drive and it has the space to cope with my family's needs but we can't keep going through this. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,393 Posts
Water pump is my guess

Weak water pump works on local short trips and makes thing appear normal for the garage mechanic
When worked hard, the engine heats up and pump cannot make enough flow to get water to radiator to cool
Higher than normal pressure forces steam out the overflow and through the reservoir
This would also be associated with little or no heat to the passenger cabin

Remember this is a guess
It isn't easy to diagnose a problem like this from cyber-land

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
look at the egr valve, but most times with aluminium cylinder heads once they are hot there will leak water out exhaust but will be ok when colder. usually radiators get small leak under pressure on ac cond side and starts heating issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts