Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Hyundai brains trust,
I have a 2018 Hyundai i40 wagon and am about to buy a trailer/food van. Can this car tow a 3.5 tonne trailer? What type of tow bar do I have to have installed, will it also require an airbag? The trailer tow part is 45cm high of the ground, the wagon seems low, will this be a problem?
I would appreciate to understand what this will cost me to.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Kind regards, A

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
absolutely not. I got a tourer and it's comfort soft. Maybe a box trailer but i'd want heavy duty springs in the rear for much more.

You'll need a landcruiser, BT50, Large Hilux 4WD, D Max, etc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
absolutely not. I got a tourer and it's comfort soft. Maybe a box trailer but i'd want heavy duty springs in the rear for much more.

You'll need a landcruiser, BT50, Large Hilux 4WD, D Max, etc
Thanks Gerard. I just learned about trailer weight and towing weight, this food van is small, light and does not have much equipment in it. Would that change your response? Thanks for sharing your thoughts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
That would be doable. 1500kg braked is the max 750kg unbraked. What's the powertrain in this? Diesel, Petrol? Auto, manual or 7 spd DCT

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
That should make it 7 spd DCT then. pretty sure conventional 6 spd auto was dropped on those last series. Only reason I ask is it operates like an auto but it's a computerised manual with dual clutches.

Something to be aware of particular with slow speed crawling and manoeuvre it could cause the clutches to wear quicker.

Can't comment from experience , keep it in mind though.

Couple of videos that may be informative

1 - 7 of 7 Posts