Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, the offside (RHS) swirly LED daytime running lights have failed (10 days out of warranty) on my 2013 i40. First, all of the led's on the one side packed up at once, leaving what I can only call the halo still working. Now the halo has stopped working too. I'm not getting much help from Hyundai. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone got a solution apart from replacing the whole headlight unit? Thanks in advance, Mick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Mick, this has just happened to my 2013 i40 today. Passenger side leds have died. Did you find any solutions? I was thinking of trying to disconnect the drivers side leds so at least it looks the same? I found it truly sickening when I found out the price of a new unit, just to get these LEDs working again.
Any help much appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gareth, I'm currently looking at possibly using the Sale of Goods Act 1979 to push things on a bit. I've sent Hyundai a letter to that effect, just waiting for their response. It doesn't seem to be an isolated occurrence so they must be aware of the problem. In general, I believe its fair and reasonable to assume the life expectancy of an LED to be somewhere between 50,000 to 100,000 hours. my car has done 70k miles. At an average of 40mph, thats 1.8% - 3.6% of their expected lifespan so my question is why are they failing well ahead of time? It can only be inferior design or inferior parts/equipment. Either way I fail to see why I should foot a potential bill of £800 plus due to Hyundai's failings. Mick

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Gareth, I'm currently looking at possibly using the Sale of Goods Act 1979 to push things on a bit. I've sent Hyundai a letter to that effect, just waiting for their response. It doesn't seem to be an isolated occurrence so they must be aware of the problem. In general, I believe its fair and reasonable to assume the life expectancy of an LED to be somewhere between 50,000 to 100,000 hours. my car has done 70k miles. At an average of 40mph, thats 1.8% - 3.6% of their expected lifespan so my question is why are they failing well ahead of time? It can only be inferior design or inferior parts/equipment. Either way I fail to see why I should foot a potential bill of £800 plus due to Hyundai's failings. Mick

Not a good situation and I have every sympathy..Do you have a good relationship with a dealer that maybe you have dealt with over the years, in which case try to get the service manager to intervene on your behalf, or maybe you have..Either way good luck..Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Mick, definitely let us know how you get on with that. I tried contacting Hyundai as well, and they said they may be able to offer goodwill payment, but when I told them I didn't buy directly from a Hyundai dealer, they didn't want to know.... surprise, surprise. Even though we bought the car when it was 7 months old, and had it maintained and serviced at all the correct service times etc.
It's a bit of a joke having pay so much for something so small. Our car only has 42,000 miles, so even less than your car, and still these lights have failed.
I've not really had any issue with our i40 apart from this, so it's a real kick in the nuts when this sort of fault occurs!

Thanks for replying anyway, and as I said let us know how far you get!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Mick (or anyone else who may be able to offer any insight....)
I noticed that when I take the connector off the back of the light, and push it back on again, my DRL's come on for about a second, then switch off again. I was wondering if it's a loose connection in the wiring loom or something? - Anyone elses DRL's doing the same thing?

I'm taking my car to an auto spark on Wednesday, in the hope that he can either look at this faulty passenger side drl, and maybe fix the connection, and if not, I'm just going to get him to try and disconnect the DRL from the drivers side, so both drl's are off. Then it won't look so bad. And as my car's a 2013 model, the DRL's are not checked as part of the MOT anyway, thank goodness!...

...And if I ever come across a spare £850, then I'll buy myself a new headlight. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Driving lamps failure

I have had the same problem with a vehicle with 40k miles recorded The unit to replace is £200.00 plus fitting However if you go to Ebay you can buy a pair for under £100.00 and they arrived in just a few days . Fitting time was under 2 hours but the front bumper has to be removed then its just a matter of 4 self tapping screws The original units are made in China and so are the cheaper replacements.Obviously a known fault and Hyundai should come clean about this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Miss

Hi, did anyone get anywhere with their LED DRL for the Hyundai?
After checking with 3 MOT stations i have been told it is a fail on an MOT and cost around £600 to replace unless it can be sourced second hand on internet.
Appears to be a common problem now, Did Hyundai accept any responsibility through the sale of goods act? Has anyone been able to source second hand?
Or have any other suggestions such as being able to disconnect the working DRL off so its not obviouse?
Thanks for any comments. The price for this seems unacceptable to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update: i sent a few letters to the Hyundai dealer who sold me the car. I was advised by Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) that the DRL 's were covered under the Consumer Rights Act and they should have been of satisfactory quality to last at least 6 years from when I purchased the car, not from when it was first registered. My argument was they had lasted far less than they should have done ( 5.2 years instead of 30 - 60 years) and must have been below Hyundai's quality standards when originally fitted to the vehicle. The dealer offered to pay £454 towards the cost, leaving me to pay £227. I declined their offer. I offered the dealer the option to go to Dispute Resolution but they refused and i received a letter from a solicitor's office, claiming a load of things that were complete rubbish. The general tone of the letter was to try and bully me into not going to court. to try and save further hassle and time, I countered their letter with my own offer to pay a third of the £227 i.e £75. This was begrudgingly accepted and i now have to arrange to get it sorted out.

As for the MOT, the DRLs only apply to vehicles registered after 2018 i believe.

i recommend anyone to have a chat with the CAB. they have template letters that are useful. I dont think it should matter whether the car was bought from a main dealer. Your claim is with the dealer that sold you the car, not Hyundai.

·
Registered
i40 VF 1.7 CRDi AT6 100kW
34 Posts
Congrats on the win, I wish you complete the full process in ending up. With new headlights. That's one golden Post which you made. Cheers!

Sent from my phone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
£75. This was begrudgingly accepted and i now have to arrange to get it sorted out.
Well done! That's a great result. I'm in the exact same situation - I can't justify spending €800+ on a few LEDs. If you're willing to share some more details on how you managed to get it all sorted I'd love to hear them!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unfortunately, I have same problem. My car was in official service two weeks ago, and today I realized the front daylights LED is not working on the left side. The service exchanged the front bumper because I had a smaller accident. Is it possible that they didn't connect fittingly the wiring to the left side front lamp? The other lamps (low and high beam headlights, blinking lamp) are working is perfectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Driving lamps failure

I have had the same problem with a vehicle with 40k miles recorded The unit to replace is £200.00 plus fitting However if you go to Ebay you can buy a pair for under £100.00 and they arrived in just a few days . Fitting time was under 2 hours but the front bumper has to be removed then its just a matter of 4 self tapping screws The original units are made in China and so are the cheaper replacements.Obviously a known fault and Hyundai should come clean about this.
Hi may I ask the details of the purchase for this item? thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i have same problem, with DRL, you can disconnect the other led strip like this, you have to dismantle the front bumper, and you have a small round acces cover, then there you have 2 connection, one CAN/12V and one small ribbon cable which is going to leds, disconnect that one and that's it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all. I have the same issue on my 2012 i40. Passenger side DRL blinked me a “bye bye” a week ago. Used replacement is not an option as there is no guarantee that it will last long. New unit is around £700 (mine is a basic halogen non dynamic). So I have done some research on how i40 owners in other countries are dealing with it. And to my surprise russians have found a cheap solution. Some tech guys have developed a replacement DRL driver module that is more robust and long lasting. Module can be purchased for around £30 and shipped for another £10. There is lots of information on how to fit the module without taking it to the garage (applies to those who can remove the headlamp themselves). Unfortunately all info is in Russian (lucky enough I’m multilingual). Long story short I have one on order (quick and responsive customer service, PayPal payment and tracked shipment). As soon as it will arrive I will attempt to install it myself (nothing to lose at this point). No matter how it goes I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
i40 VF 1.7 CRDi AT6 100kW
34 Posts
Aden can u share more details about that item? Maybe a link?

Sent from my phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good day to you all. A short update on Russian technologies.
After 10 days of waiting, the chip has arrived. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the unit. Well built and sealed.

Took me less than 15 minutes to undo one side of the bumper (plenty of material on YouTube on how to do it) and extract the headlamp.
There is a small hatch on the bottom of the headlamp that gives enough access to the connections of the chip.
I have used the guidelines from the Russian website to install the chip (https://ledstudio.ru/e-store/index.php?SECTION_ID=1739&ELEMENT_ID=186526). Don’t bother using google translator. Just follow the images.
It is a little awkward to join the cables together but after about an hour the job was done.

Before putting it back - a little test.

Works as new!
There is a small blue screw on the chip to adjust the brightness. Mine did not require adjustment. Plus the screw is very sensitive so be careful.
The chip nicely fits inside the hatch as shown on the website.

Total time used: 2.5 hours
Money saved: around 650£
Self-esteem: sky high

For chip to be sent outside Russia you will have to contact the seller directly ([email protected]). They will need your name and delivery address. After the payment they will ship the item. As I mentioned you can safely pay through PayPal.

Hope this will help some of you to save a few £££.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fair play ADen711. Thanks for the update. I'll definitely give this a go. There is a chap charging 150 euro to do this job near Dublin. Still a 100euro saving for me to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wondering johngwalsh7, where is the guy in dublin fixing them? Hyundai would not do mine even though we had only purchased 11 months previously. Said it was outside the mileage limit. Quoted 750, so wouldn't mind paying 150

1 - 20 of 32 Posts