Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting 48 - 51 mph from my i40 1.7 CRDI 141 ps and after each main dealer service I am always disappointed with the mpg and the noise when starting from cold, until the oil gets around the top of the engine.
Anyway I decided to replace the main dealer oil with what the owners book recommends (Shell ECT 5w30 C3) after doing this the engine sounded a little better but I was expecting a more silky smooth sound and feel with such expensive oil.
On the last main dealer service I did the same again only this time I decided to flush out the engine with a cheaper oil (ValvoTech 5w30 C2/C3) - OMG when I started the engine it was exactly how I wanted it to sound with the expensive oil, only this was 'cheap oil'? (£16.00)
I thought what the **** I and have decided to do a 1000 miles with the oil and to be honest I am now achieving 58 - 61 mpg on the motorway at 65 - 70mph and around 57mpg on A roads.
What is going on?? I understand that the difference between C3 and C2 oils to be the following :
C3 oil has an emphasis on performance over fuel economy.
C2 oil has an emphasis on fuel economy over performance.
But this cheap ValvoTech 5W30 oil has a specification of ACEA C2 / C3 so is this oil C2 or C3? I don't know.
I have the Shell ECT oil ready to put back in but to be honest I am liking the vastly increased mpg.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It will be at the thinner end of a 30 grade .

The manufacturer specs aren't special .

For great protection and kindest to dpf , VW 507.00 for less protection and great mpg MB 229.52 .

The ultimate protection C3 oil would be a niche product from Fuchs , it will contain group 5 oil basestock Ester , Fuchs TITAN Race Pro C3 , it's not a LongLife oil though so change annually , not cheap either .

·
Read Only
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be at the thinner end of a 30 grade .

The manufacturer specs aren't special .

For great protection and kindest to dpf , VW 507.00 for less protection and great mpg MB 229.52 .

The ultimate protection C3 oil would be a niche product from Fuchs , it will contain group 5 oil basestock Ester , Fuchs TITAN Race Pro C3 , it's not a LongLife oil though so change annually , not cheap either .
Good advice thank you. I will try the Fuchs Titan Race Pro C3 and see how it goes.
Thanks.

·
Read Only
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
94 Posts
By that I mean yours also has Honda and Ford manufacturer specs whereas Valvotech TX-1 doesn't and has VW , Porche and MB etc .

Can't find your actual oil and can't help but think a 0W20 somehow got in there :p

·
Read Only
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably. Been running it now for a couple of thousand miles and the engine has never sounded better, no noise on cold start up like there was with the dealer oil. MPG still at 59 instead of 50.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts