Hyundai Forums banner

I30 Radio Dramas

40K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Naughty 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone else has had problems with the i30 radio?

I bought a new car almost 3 weeks ago, and after 3 or days trips, the radio and display screen just died.

I took it to the dealer who said it was faulty and needed to be replaced.

First the told me a week, I rang today to see if it was in and now it's 3 weeks, and they claim they are unable to follow up and find out the status of where the radio is, which seems a bit weird as I would have thought they'd have some type of tracking system to tell them where orders are??

Are the i30 radios reliable, did I just get a dud or do they often cark it? I had no phone car kit or blue tooth installed, just the standard ipod cable that I was using.

Secondly, if anyone else has had a replacement radio, how long do they take (i'm in australia)?

As you can imagine, I'm pretty annoyed as since buying the vehicle I've been without the radio/display longer than I've had it!

See less See more
#2 ·
Under UK consumer law you would likely have the right to reject the car outright so long as you act within a time limit.
This is what I would do in the case of such shocking service ( I do 2 hrs commuting/day and no radio would be just not acceptable - also needed for traffic info - on the old days of standard DIN units I would instantly swap the radio for a new or Ebay one - not possible with Hyundai custom units.

AFAIK there's no reliability issue, you just got unlucky. Wonder if the dealer had the sense to check all fuses and take the radio assembly out and ensure that all PCB cards were well seated?

#3 ·
Thanks for that - good to hear you arent aware of any reliability issues.

I've had to take the care to the dealership twice, once so they could just try replacing a fuse and that blew straight away, so I had to take it back to enable them to take the radio out and see what was causing it.

When I take it back to get the new radio I'll ask if they did those things you mentioned ie pcb cards

cheers

#4 ·
Hi.

I had problems with my I30 radio. After multiple complaints on the radio cutting in and out when the TA was turned on, not to mention the ipod not connecting properly and the CD not playing, Hyundai finally replaced it. Took a few weeks.

There is a known fault on the Hyundai i30 radio. I don't know what model exactly, but my Hyundai i30 is 2008. I would try and exercise your Consumer Rights and get your money back as suggested. Not sure what the seemed Hyundai dealer is talking about "no fault, just unlucky" as there is a known fault reported in their Hyundai technical log. They just need to go look.

On delivery, it took a few weeks. The first Hyundai dealer made a big fuss about replacing the radio. The second did not when they went onto Hyundai's technical log. The service you get on warranty issues seems to vary alot depending on the Hyundai dealer. Good luck.

#5 ·
I think OP encountered some exceptional bad luck. The replacement set should be fine.

On the topic of TA: My dealer (UK) tells me there is NO known i30 issue with TA causing radio cut-outs. But the radio in my i30 does cut out if TA is active. They DID admit to an known i20 issue that is similar.

I've reported the TA issue to the dealer doing my upcoming service (i30 1.4 petrol regd Dec '09 with latest known firmware on the audio unit), but doubt very much they will do anything anytime soon. If anyone has had this issue properly fixed on an i30 I'd like to know how - firmware update? New radio?

BTW who else has observed that if you have MP3 player RANDOM ALL set, if either a traffic announcement interrupts, or if the stereo is turned off and back on, the RANDOM ALL setting reverts to normal play? Trivial I know but annoying.

#6 ·
Regarding software updates - when I first took my faulty radio in, they did try software updates, however nothing worked. I'm not sure what Hyundai are talking about that there are NO known radio issues. What a load of BS. Sounds to me that they're not doing their job properly investigating. The TA issue of cutting in / out when using the radio is a KNOWN fault. They should replace your radio under the warranty T&Cs. Use the information I posted on the Forum if you need to exercise your Consumer rights under the Sales of Goods Act.

#9 ·
I know this is an old post but it seemed like a good one to share my experience. I have a 2010 Elantra Touring and have had the radio cut out and die 3 times in a year and a half. Each time the radio died but the backlight stayed on - the display was blank, buttons did nothing and no sound came out. Fuses were fine and pulling the reset fuse didn't help. Each time the dealership just replaced the stereo. This last time I asked them to do a full check to find the problem since I was worried that the stereo wouldn't be covered for much longer (turns out that I have another year and a half on it), however they found no irregularities in the electrical system at all.

Soooooo.....this may not seem all that helpful, except one detail. The service guy mentioned that if I wanted the CD back from it, he have to get someone in the service dept to pull it manually from the old player. I told him not to worry because it was an burned MP3 cd. Then it struck me - the last two CDs stuck in the stereo were also burned MP3 cds, and I hadn't used one at all since the last problem, up until about 2 days agao when I decided to burn another one for a trip. At this point I'm 99% certain that my issue is with burned CDs (maybe just MP3 cds - probably some sort of weird indexing issue) and will just stick to regular CDs or my Ipod.

#10 ·
The only complaints I have with mine, which is the FD01 model with bluetooth, USB, etc is the pitifully inaccurate clock, which gains over 5 minutes a month, and the fact that the outside temp display, as in the operators manual doesn't work, when pressing the display button, it jumps that mode.

#12 ·
I30 Radio TA Problem

I30 Radio - I have also had a problem with TA cutting in and then no traffic info just silence.
First dealer made a fuss said if fault not found would charge me £90 so this put me off, although this was where car bought they were not helpful.
Second dealer agreed fault and ordered replacement, but it took nearly 10 weeks to get radio which has just been fitted.
I even contacted Hyundai UK myself and was told they were not aware of known faults ha! and that since radio was supplied by 3rd party they could not expedite poor delivery. Does not say much for such a large company when car has a 5yr warranty.
TA now works but display is not so bright and clear and audio quality is not so good.
I am beginning to think the I30 radio is not very good.

#15 ·
I30 Radio - I have also had a problem with TA cutting in and then no traffic info just silence.
First dealer made a fuss said if fault not found would charge me £90 so this put me off, although this was where car bought they were not helpful.
Second dealer agreed fault and ordered replacement, but it took nearly 10 weeks to get radio which has just been fitted.
I even contacted Hyundai UK myself and was told they were not aware of known faults ha! and that since radio was supplied by 3rd party they could not expedite poor delivery. Does not say much for such a large company when car has a 5yr warranty.
TA now works but display is not so bright and clear and audio quality is not so good.
I am beginning to think the I30 radio is not very good.
I had same problem with radio in my (June 2010) UK spec i30. The stutters /interruptions in the radio sound were really off putting.
1st dealer (I think) messed me about saying couldnt reproduce the fault, but I subsequently took to another who, after adjusting the TA radio settings and reseating connectors to no avail, replaced the set. It now works well and I am now happy!
And what is more I am going back to this 2nd dealer (who is in Durham). I had 1st service there, will go for the 2nd service there shortly, and they have done some further warranty work too. They are helpful, courteous etc and their "lendy cars" are clean and fresh.
So keep at it - please dont put up with shoddy goods or service.

#13 ·
Good update Nickmen because:

- I have same TA issue. 2 different UK Hyundai dealers where I had annual service done were not interested. I had each one acknowledge the issue, by having the radio on during the service or in 2nd case, while car was collected to dealer.

But neither came through with fixing it.

Now, I like everything else about the factory i30 radio and had wondered... maybe leave alone as a radio swap might make things worse. And above post hints at this.

Nickmen, after having your new radio, have you been into the menus and re-set the audio - bass, treble etc to your favourite settings?

G
#17 ·
Hi I am having the same trouble audio player has died 3 times and I have had the car from new (less.then 2 years).
My dealership has replaced it every time today being the 4th since new and the 2nd this month....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.