Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We bought a brand new i30 5 dr hatch 1.8 Ltr DOHC in 2013. Since then we have done all of the log book servicing at the same dealership in Dandenong, Melbourne. The car has done 78,000+ kms to-date.

A couple of months ago, we started hearing noise from the engine & took it to the dealership for a check-up. Below is their finding:

Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Circle

The upshot of it is that Hyundai has said that we will have to change the engine at our own cost of $13,000.00 (approx.)!!

Hyundai is refusing to take any ownership of the issue , saying that the vehicle is out of warranty. I think that the fact that we have been loyal customers who have done all of the car servicing with them would have at least entitled us to better treatment that getting a flat "NO" from Hyundai!

Has anyone else faced a similar issue with noise from their engine that requires the engine to be replaced?
Would appreciate any helpful advice on the matter.

Thank you!
Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Circle

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Myself personally would commence requests in writing and engage consumer affairs. I believe it can be an issue particularly with short skirt pistons. You will find youtubes on it. To have to replace a motor serviced to schedule at that mileage is pretty ordinary .

$13000 for the motor is also an absurdity, you could pay for one overseas and import for a fraction. To top it off a short block at that . should be laws against that kind of price gouging.

Their diesel engines seem pretty robust though, 405000km on my ix35 2.0R so far.

I don't think I'd ever buy a Hyundai/Kia petrol going on some of the issues I've read

Other options could be rebuilding the short block or another low Kilometre engine from a wreck.

Was $13000 fitted?

Sell it?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Did the car do a lot of very short runs , not getting to operating temperature? Was the oil changed based on time given it's very low Ks?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Must be in demand, not many around, this one 40000km $3300 wyong NSW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, @Gerard 2 for your replies. Much appreciated.

The car did normal runs to/fro from work (round trip about 60kms) & used over the weekends as well over the past 8 years or so.
We called/wrote to Hyundai Head Office & Customer Care but to no avail. I was hoping that there might be someone on this forum who might have had/resolved a similar issue. Maybe we need to get consumer affairs involved... don't have any experience in how to do that...

Cheers..

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Well it's a suggestion. options, drive it until it dies, sell it or a low k swap. The used car market is pretty inflated from what I see, No cheap option either unless they fix it free. Even if they cave and say 50:50 it's still too expensive. Not long back a guy had a from new i40, threw a rod just under 100000km, full history and Hyundai serviced. He had no joy but also just moved on.

You can only try all avenues until they reach a dead end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts