Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I need some help. My car is i30 2013 1.4 CRDi ( made in Czech republic ). I installed ( mechanically, no wiring yet )led bar today on the car. Before I started with the wiring I wanted to check with voltmeter which wire is for the high beam. Suddenly I noticed that left headlight high beam stopped working. I thought the bulb went out but no, bulb is OK. I even tried to swap the bulb from right side on the left but no luck. Low beams are working fine and also parking lights working fine. High beam on the right side working also fine so I do not think it is the fuse. Is there separate fuse for left and right high beams? Did not find any indication where are the headlight fuses. I measured the that there is coming 12V to the bulb but there is 12V on both wires when bulb is in place. So I assume it is a earthing issue?

Does anybody have the wiring schematics for the headlight high beam control? Would be a great help,

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
17,125 Posts
So I assume it is a earthing issue?
I could be. Or perhaps the headlamps are return side switched, meaning there is a constant +12V to the bulbs and the earth comes from the switch.
Is the voltage there when the headlamps are switched off (ignition on)? If so the headlamps are return side switched. The fact that there is voltage also means there isn't a blown fuse.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the electrical drawings for i30 headlights. And I did some measurements based on that. I measured the LH head lamp socket pins 2 and 6. There is constant 12V between those two pins. There is 12V when high beam is OFF and when high beam is ON. I did same measurement on the RH head lamp which is working. Same there, 12V between pins 2 and 6 in the headlight socket.

How are these light working if there is all time 12V? Is there some micro switch inside the headlamp or how? Additionally I measured directly from the socket which goes on the bulb with two wires. On the LH side which is not working there is 12V to ground on both wires which should not be the case. On the RH side is normal 12V on one wire. So somehow the issue is in the headlamp itself?

I tested out with a jump wire directly from bulb pin to car frame and only connected the + wire from the bulb socket to socket pin. Then LH started to work again normally. Below is the schematic and socket pinout

Rectangle Slope Schematic Font Parallel

Font Circle Number Pattern Symmetry

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
17,125 Posts
There is constant 12V between those two pins.
But this is with the headlamp connector unplugged though...right?

I've not had to diagnose a headlamp circuit on a Hyundai with IPS. But I would expect there to be constant voltage supplied to the bulb. That is how the bulb failure warning system works. It supplies power to the bulb, via a sensing resistor, when the circuit is switched off. The IPS monitors the voltage drop across the resistor, and when the voltage is above a certain threshold it knows the bulb is blown. The component shown in red in the diagram below is the sensing resistor...

My guess is you are taking the voltage measurement with the headlamp unplugged. So the circuit is open, meaning no current flow, which in turn means there will be no voltage drop across the sensing resistor inside the IPS module. So you see 12V at the headlamp connector. I suspect if you back probe pins 2 & 6 and take a voltage measurement with the headlamp connected you will get a very different reading...on the headlamp that is working at least.

i30Hyundai_owner said:
So somehow the issue is in the headlamp itself?
Is it though? The problem might be high resistance in the ground wire leading to terminal 6, assuming your voltage measurements are being taken with the headlamp disconnected. Again, with the circuit open there will be no voltage drop across that resistance either. You really need to diagnose the circuit with everything connected so current can flow.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I made the measurements with the headlamp unplugged. I will have e look at the earthing point GE02. Maybe that is giving this issue. Because high beam started to work when i connected a separate jump wire from bulb pin to frame. I probably get other electrical issues over time because according to picture there are several wires going to GE02 point.

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts