Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new i30 diesel auto that has begun misbehaving on first driving after being standing overnight.
At somewhere around 1250/1500 revs it begins to hesitate as though not quite sure what to do. There is also a swishing/hissing sound and that combined with the hesitation , as though travelling over a series sof regular low undulations, is irritating. It goes away on accelleration and seems to behave proerly thereafter.
The dealer says he has never herd of such a thing!! I think it will not do it when under accelleration or power, only when slow and low revs. Any ideas, please. Peter Grey

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had the same problem on about 3-4 occasions. I have not spoken to my dealer yet but will post a reply when I find out what he says I will hook up my scan tool and see if any fault codes have been left in memory

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks, good to know there is someone else out there. My garage in UK says they have never heard of the problem and I should go to a garage. Good PR???!!! I look forward to hearing from you. peter

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
QUOTE (peter grey @ May 23 2010, 09:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325487
I have a brand new i30 diesel auto that has begun misbehaving on first driving after being standing overnight.
At somewhere around 1250/1500 revs it begins to hesitate as though not quite sure what to do. There is also a swishing/hissing sound and that combined with the hesitation , as though travelling over a series sof regular low undulations, is irritating. It goes away on accelleration and seems to behave proerly thereafter.
The dealer says he has never herd of such a thing!! I think it will not do it when under accelleration or power, only when slow and low revs. Any ideas, please. Peter Grey
Hi Peter and :00000732: to the forums :grin:

I'm moving this into the i30 forum where you may get more responses :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Onine.

Further to your kind interest could "our" problem be associated with the dreaded "turbo lag"? Not strictly speaking "lag" it does hesitate, just as on take off sometime on a gradient or junction in a hurry? you're peter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Peter I get turbo lag if I accelerate hard so I use light throttle to take off Normally everything goes OK but sometimes the power just drops right off I don't change my accelerator while this is happening and it comes good. Have checked for fault codes and none showing up. Will try and catch up with the dealer and have a talk about it The dealer I use is very good, I work for the automobile club here and have spoken to a few people that have their cars serviced there and so far everyone is happy with the service, so we will see what they say

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good morning, Onine,

Many thanks. I am in France, I take it you are in Australia?
My brother, a firm diesel man, suggests my problem is that when the engine is cold it may "besitate" as a consequence of the fuel management?
It is really so **** annoying, just when you think it safe to come out, about 1.5 revs it starts to hold back, ever so slightly and rapidly. Seems not to like coasting at around1.5. I am reluctant to take it to ocal French Hyundai, even under warranty, but I suspect that is what I shall have to do.

My brother tells me there is a kind of "strip" that "makes and breaks", or something and that I may just need to run the car for a few minutes before driving? Any help would be much apppfreciatged.

Peter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all i30 auto diesel owners. My problem has been highlighted but the good news is that after two years Hyundai and the dealer who sold me the i30 that was faulty have exchanged it! Almost unheard of in the motor trade, I think! The fault was hesitation/judder/jump/at 1500 revs and a higher fuel consumption. After 18 months Hyundai told me that they did in fact know of the problem, a mod was being developed and in the meantime the injectors could be re-set. Subsequently it appeared that the "mod" was not forthcoming and Hhyndai changed my car! Any comments from anyhone with a similar problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
I had this fault with my Kia Cee'd auto diesel from when I bought it in August 2010. Same fixes with injector timing but never worked. The suspicion was with the EGR valve sticking, a common problem with diesel automatics. I used a spray EGR cleaner and the fault goes. I also avoid cheaper diesel fuels. Cleaned it again last week before the cars second service on Monday.
If you leave the air conditioning on, the fault also goes. It is all to do with the waste gases being passed back into the engine at revs. below 2000rpm via the "open" EGR valve. The air conditioning shuts the valve but uses more power and fuel, so not too good a solution. If like me, you do more lower rev. driving around town, the problem is always going to be there. If you use poor grade grade fuel with no cleaning additives, the carbon or soot build ups in the EGR valve build up. The car is more responsive on higher centene fuel but it costs more. Since diesel fuel prices in the UK are very high, diesel automatics, like mine become too expensive to run.
This problem unfortunately does not affect every diesel automatic. We all drive in different ways and use different grade fuels. I think basically KIA and HYUNDAI cannot find a fix which "irons" out the problem with this engine,[only effecting late 2009 build] for all driving conditions.
This is my own personal experience, I could be totally wrong and it does not affect all diesel autos.
packman

·
Registered
538 Posts
I drive a MY11 I30 Manual diesel, it hesitates as well, I left the car with the dealer for 3 days while working out of town, result, 'could not fault'. The fault seems to be only with a cold engine / turbo, there is not enough boost to allow the management system to deliver more fuel, so it 'stagnates'. A hefty shove of the pedal lets you drive through it, but it's really annoying and you could argue dangerous. Blame it on emission legislation?.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts