Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the i30 crdi estate 1.6 115ps with 16000 miles on the clock now.
The vehicle has been serviced as per hyundais recommendation, and the oil is black but level is ok.

Recently I have noticed that when i start up the engine can appear to faulter or miss, whilst this occurs the exahust kicks out quite a bit of smoke, eventually the faultering stops and so does the smoke, on occasion i have to re start the engine to stop it. this has occured first thing in the morning, and also after standing for five hours after a 100mile motorway trip. Im not sure if its related but the motor can faulter whilst cruising on the motorway and accelarating gently, no issues if i put my foot down.Any ideas please.
also TA on the radio does not work, and the noise on tight right bends i mentioned in an earlier post is still present but no worse.

apart from these issues this is the best car I have ever owned, one year down the line.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
the most likely cause is one of the injectors playing up. the smoke is the unburnt fuel. get it back to your dealer and make use of your warranty

·
Registered
190 Posts
If it is a Korean build car then it maybe due to the fuel filter not being primed correctly, so there maybe air remaining in the filter housing. (if the filter was replaced at the service of course)

Korean built car have Vin numbers starting with KMH*****, Czech Build is TMA*********

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (girth67 @ Apr 28 2010, 04:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317544
Recently I have noticed that when i start up the engine can appear to faulter or miss, whilst this occurs the exahust kicks out quite a bit of smoke, eventually the faultering stops and so does the smoke, on occasion i have to re start the engine to stop it. this has occured first thing in the morning, and also after standing for five hours after a 100mile motorway trip. Im not sure if its related but the motor can faulter whilst cruising on the motorway and accelarating gently, no issues if i put my foot down.Any ideas please.
Hiya, I've got the diesel hatch, done 33000km/14months old, so similar to you.
I've had a chug chug chug on start up accompanied by clouds of stinky diesel smoke. I've reported this at my last 2 services and both times they've replaced the/some glow plug(s), which are apparently something to do with warming the engine so the fuel burns properly. Each time its been better afterwards but the effect/improvement has 'worn off' or they have 'worn out' (as evidenced by replacing them a second time 6 months/15000km later. Not sure what their lifespan is meant to be.)
So yes, get thee back to the dealer and have it 'fixed' under warranty.
As for your 'faltering' under gentle acceleration, I've noticed that too very occasionally. I'm thinking it's when the engine hits the rev range when the turbo isn't quite sure whether to play or not, and so a bit more right foot fixes it.
cheers
anni

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
right its almost a year later and the solution has possibly found! after giving the car to the dealer five times and some high up u.k. hyundai tech guy getting involved.

the following has been done.

1. new hyundai glow plugs
2. new turbo.
3. new non hyundai glow plugs (longer possibly bosch)

this is what happened. I kept going back to the dealer who checked and found no problems under a diagnostic check, eventually I videoed the smoking and the tech guy viewed it, he thought the smoke was whitish blue and instructed the dealer to fit a new turbo and whilst doing it new glow plugs as they werent 100 % sure if the plugs were all ok. this was done and all was ok for about two or three hundred miles, then there was smoke again! and as it had got colder it took ages for the car to start, sometimes up to 20 seconds of turning over.

the dealer took the car back for over a week, and readings were fed back to tech guy.

it was found that the hyundai standard glow plugs were either not screwed in far enough or just too short ( I think too short) and carbon was gatehering in the cylinder threads that remained exposed causing a poor start up and smoke, but then run fine on normal running, so some bosch ones have been fitted and over a thousand miles later ther is no smoke and starting is always straight away. I have not tested the car in warm weather yet as its been between -10 and 7dgrees here in england.

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (girth67 @ Jan 8 2011, 03:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=388242
right its almost a year later and the solution has possibly found! after giving the car to the dealer five times and some high up u.k. hyundai tech guy getting involved.

the following has been done.

1. new hyundai glow plugs
2. new turbo.
3. new non hyundai glow plugs (longer possibly bosch)

this is what happened. I kept going back to the dealer who checked and found no problems under a diagnostic check, eventually I videoed the smoking and the tech guy viewed it, he thought the smoke was whitish blue and instructed the dealer to fit a new turbo and whilst doing it new glow plugs as they werent 100 % sure if the plugs were all ok. this was done and all was ok for about two or three hundred miles, then there was smoke again! and as it had got colder it took ages for the car to start, sometimes up to 20 seconds of turning over.

the dealer took the car back for over a week, and readings were fed back to tech guy.

it was found that the hyundai standard glow plugs were either not screwed in far enough or just too short ( I think too short) and carbon was gatehering in the cylinder threads that remained exposed causing a poor start up and smoke, but then run fine on normal running, so some bosch ones have been fitted and over a thousand miles later ther is no smoke and starting is always straight away. I have not tested the car in warm weather yet as its been between -10 and 7dgrees here in england.

my glowplugs were replaced at less than 400 miles from new

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sounds like I may be just starting down this road, my I30 Diesel manual with just 3000 Klm has just in the last week or so started what feels like an engine miss or dead throttle response on gentle acceleration in the lower gears. The weird thing about mine is the 'miss' seems to be related to my mobile phone, usually sitting in the centre console cup holders. I have found on more than one time that the miss happens when my phone is receiving an SMS message or voice mail message. It doesn't seem to happen when the ESP system is turned off, but this may be just coincidence. I have just booked it into my dealer for attention, when I described the fault to him his first response was 'Your Joking Aren't You?', but he has promised to send a tech out for a drive with me with a mobile so we can message each other and try to replicate the fault.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts