Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read with interest some comments on thisForum about i30’s blowing smoke and have some info that may add to thediscussion. Late last week I was driving my wife’s i30 Active X (1.8L) and hadto gun it to pull away from on-coming traffic. Initially it hesitated theneventually picked up speed but in doing so it left a huge trail of blue smokesuch that you couldn’t see the cars immediately behind. This seemed very unusualto me since the sight of blue smoke billowing from a vehicle usually points toa clapped engine – (oil getting into the combustion chamber and being burnt).However this car has only covered 13K and is still in mint condition and isusually only driven by my wife. Interestingly, before the event the vehicle hadbeen standing in an inclined driveway facing downward. My first thoughtstherefore were that oil had got past a seal or maybe the valve stem seals werealready worn. I might also add that one of the poor drivers of a following cartapped on my window whilst pulled up at the traffic lights and said mate“you’ve got a blown head gasket – which I doubted because it wasn’t showing theclassic signs of a blown head gasket.
Anyhow I booked it into the Hyundai dealertoday to be checked whereupon they found that oil had entered the PV valve andfilter and would have been the reason for the “smoke” event. The PV valve andfilter were washed out and dried by the Dealer which should fix the problem.
When I queried the Dealer if this type of eventis covered by an Hyundai Service Bulletin he said NO – but then what else wouldyou expect a Dealer to say! Two points for me (1) I think it is probably atechnical issue which no doubt Hyundai will deny and, (2) don’t park your i30in a downhill orientation!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts