Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read with interest some comments on this Forum about i30’s blowing smoke and have some info that may add to the discussion. Late last week I was driving my wife’s i30 Active X (1.8L) and had to gun it to pull away from on-coming traffic. Initially it hesitated then eventually picked up speed but in doing so it left a huge trail of blue smoke such that you couldn’t see the cars immediately behind. This seemed very unusual to me since the sight of blue smoke billowing from a vehicle usually points to a clapped engine – (oil getting into the combustion chamber and being burnt). However this car has only covered 13K and is still in mint condition and is usually only driven by my wife. Interestingly, before the event the vehicle had been standing in an inclined driveway facing downward. My first thoughts therefore were that oil had got past a seal or maybe the valve stem seals were already worn. I might also add that one of the poor drivers of a following car tapped on my window whilst pulled up at the traffic lights and said mate “you’ve got a blown head gasket – which I doubted because it wasn’t showing the classic signs of a blown head gasket.
Anyhow I booked it into the Hyundai dealer today to be checked whereupon they found that oil had entered the PV valve and filter and would have been the reason for the “smoke” event. The PV valve and filter were washed out and dried by the Dealer which should fix the problem.
When I queried the Dealer if this type of event is covered by an Hyundai Service Bulletin he said NO – but then what else would you expect a Dealer to say! Two points for me (1) I think it is probably a technical issue which no doubt Hyundai will deny and, (2) don’t park your i30 in a downhill orientation!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd get a second opinion.

We had issues with my wifes i30 diesel, got told 3 different reasons for oil on bash plate under the turbo. Took to another dealer I bought my car from and get it serviced, there was oil in the intercooler. Cost $480 to pull out, clean and put back. Fortunately for us it could have been a lot worse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts