Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI EVERYONE
THE LAST FEW DAYS I`VE NOTICED THE PASSENGER FOOTWELD ON MY 2009 I20 IS FULL OF WATER. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WHEN THE VEHICLE WAS ONLY 2 WEEKS OLD I TOOK IT BACK YO THE DEALER WHO SAID THE LEAK WAS CAUSED BY THE FACTORY NOT SEALING THE WING PANEL CORRECTLY. THEY TOOK THE CAR INTO THE WORKSHOP FOR THE DAY AND SAID THEY HAD FIXED IT HOWEVER THE PROBLEM IS BACK AND I NOW HAVE ABOUT 2 INCHES OF WATER IN THE WELD. I`AM TAKING IT BACK TO THE DEALER TOMORROW HOWEVER I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS SUFFERED FROM THE SAME PROMBLEM AS THEY SAY IT IS A COMMON FAULT WITH THE I20

THANKS SIMON

·
Registered
59 Posts
Simon,
Sorry to hear about the problems with your i20.
If you check this forum you will find that others
have had a similar problem with early models.
(Although I seem to remember it was water in the boot).
Your dealer should have been able to cure the problem.
Let's hope they can sort it out this time.

Lester..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi i currently work for a Hyundai main dealership in the north west

i have read your posts and noticed the problem that you faced, the information the dealership told you is correct.
some i20 models came from the hyundai factory with problems with the welding in the the front end of the car,
there was a recall carried out by dealerships in the early days of the problem but the recall was then done at the dock
instead of the dealership, this involved stripping down the car and re-welding some of the seams, there is also some problems
with the sealant around the windscreens of some models causing them to leak into the footwells

in the dealership i work for we recently had a problem with an i20 leaking into the drivers footwell, this one had been
recalled at the dock and repaired there and the windscreen was checked and was ok, we found the problem to be
the drivers door hinges and the electrical connector for the door

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem in my i20 and when I took it to the dealership in Portsmouth (Richmond Hyundai) explaining the problem they did not seem to recognise this. They requested to do a diagnosis for which I paid £54. The results of their so called diagnosis was it needs further diagnosis and have quoted me £487.96 to be able to find the problem. Even then they said it might cost for to actually solve the problem.

I found this to be absolute ridiculous considering the car is not worth more then £2500 in the current market.

I tried explaining my situation but my concerns landed on deaf ears.

I even called Hyundai customer services for they did not want to intervene.

The car gets flooded and the seats are now mouldy. Probably a health hazard now.

I have given up and will go back to VW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Further to my previous thread, I even convinced Richmond Hyundai Portsmouth about this being a common problem but they were not buying it and confirmed there are no manufacturing problems.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,969 Posts
I have given up and will go back to VW.
No, I wouldn't advise that. They're one of the worst cars on the market for water ingress. I recently worked in a VW dealership and we employed a coach builder who's full time job was fixing water leaks. In the winter months we had that many interiors stripped out of cars we had to label everything so we knew what seats, carpets, etc went with what cars.

Before I went to VW I worked in a Hyundai/Mitsubishi dealership. It was very rare to get a Hyundai with water ingress.

Maybe you should take the i20 to a VW garage for repair. They'll certainly have a lot more experience dealing with water leaks than the techs in the Hyundai garage.

Scottie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts