Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all.my i20 crdi 1.4 is 3 months old and i m havin a same problem wid my steering wheel ...... it sounds alot on rash road ...... service center helped me bt after a week it again started making trouble for me.................m now planning to sell my i20 and going to opt for volkswagen polo

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi and :00000732: to the forums.

If your i20's steering is not functioning correctly take it back to the dealer........or you have a possible accident waiting to happen! Your car is only 3 months old, make good use of the warranty :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Manu,

Rest assured that you are not the only one facing the problem. Hyundai and its dumb Customer Care is acting irresponsibly in this matter :angry: . Here's ,my story.

Mine's an i20 Asta 1.2(Silky Beige) brought in September 2009.

History/Problem: Steering rattling problem on rough roads that Hyundai still hasn't found way to rectify( Nearly two years since i20s launch in India!!!!!).

The below mentioned text formed the core of the e-mail I sent to a car mag.

The problem(eventhough relatively minor at that time) was first pointed out to the service centre during the car's 1000 kms service(1st service - 16-10-2009, 1458 Kms). At that time, I was told it is a common problem on EPS equipped vehicles. It wasn't an answer I was expecting, because our earlier Swift ZXi during our three years of ownership never had this steering rattling problem . I let it go that time because the rattling sound was minor then.

The sound thereafter became more louder as time went by and the car clocked more kms on the odometer. We took the car to the workshop again with the same complaint during its 2nd service(24-03-2010, 8,849 kms) . This time they installed a Urethane pad & yoke spring in the steering assembly. Though the rattle was not there for a few days, it began rather irritatingly only days later. We again took the car to the workshop, they TD'ed the car and said that the steering rack would have to be changed(under warranty).

The part arrived around two weeks later and I got a call from them asking me to visit the workshop as the part had arrived. On 24 April 2010(10,575 kms), i took the car to the service centre and the part was replaced. The sound seemed to have disappeared and I was assured that the problem has been fully solved and it would not come back again.

For a while it looked as if they were right and the rattling sound was not coming any more on rough roads. However, after running for about 2000 kms, the sound returned again with the same loudness while going over rough roads. Angry, Irritated, frustrated, we went back again to the workshop(15-05-2010, 12,328 kms). This time again they opened up the steering rack, made some adjustments and checked the steering column and made some adjustments also, and we were again assured that the problem has been solved. We took a TD of the car and the sound no longer existed.

Again the same old drama repeated itself. The steering rattling sound again came back after the car ran for a few kilometers. Again we went back, this time there was a gentleman from the Hyundai Regional Office, Ahmedabad who personally checked the car and worked on the car claiming that they have checked for "displacement, clearance of steering rack" and applied some special grease and claimed that the sound will never happen again. A week later, the sound repeated again.

On 19-06-2010, I visited the workshop again while on the way back from Rajkot with the complaint. Again they did something and the sound disappeared .This time the service manager didn't even have the courtesy to meet me. whenever i take the car to the service centre, i wait for the entire period the car is there and then leave with the car when the job is finished. I was there for a period of almost 6 hours and the service manager didn't even have the courtesy to come up and greet me. He probably was too embarrassed and ashamed to see my face after repeated assurances that the problem will not re-occur.

Now, a week later, the sound is back again, though not as loud. From previous experience, I know the sound is only going to get louder as time passes. I am angry, irritated, frustrated and sick of taking the car to the workshop again and again with the same problem. The car has gone to the workshop nearly seven times with the same complaint( an average of one visit to the ownership each month with the same issue!!!!!)

You may want to read these threads:
Attn : i20 owners. Steering rattling noise

Adressing Hyundai's Classic "Steering Rattle" problem

It is high time i10/i20 owners like us who face this problem to do something because right now Hyundai does not care and is not listening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts