Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My I20 ASTA - CRDI is only 4 months old and ran around 5000 Kilometers. Now I am facing an issue with the power steering. The Electric power steering is not working, while driving the the car through narrow roads, with hairpin curves.

When I contacted the serivce center, they told that I am loading the steering with over turn and the motor is getting cut off, to avoid burning. Also, they are giving some funny excuses and comments on my driving and returned the car. Still the issue persists with my I20! This was not happening before and started only from last week. I was driving the car through those roades at lease twice in a week, with out any issues during last 4 Months.

My questions here are :
1. Is this a known problem with I20? I heard similar problems with others, while taking 'U' turns!
3. How can I prevent this in future?

Could some one please advice, on how to proceed further?

Thanks,

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
4,858 Posts
QUOTE (Jayan Kodavath @ Dec 9 2010, 10:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378442
Hi,

My I20 ASTA - CRDI is only 4 months old and ran around 5000 Kilometers. Now I am facing an issue with the power steering. The Electric power steering is not working, while driving the the car through narrow roads, with hairpin curves.

When I contacted the serivce center, they told that I am loading the steering with over turn and the motor is getting cut off, to avoid burning. Also, they are giving some funny excuses and comments on my driving and returned the car. Still the issue persists with my I20! This was not happening before and started only from last week. I was driving the car through those roades at lease twice in a week, with out any issues during last 4 Months.

My questions here are :
1. Is this a known problem with I20? I heard similar problems with others, while taking 'U' turns!
3. How can I prevent this in future?

Could some one please advice, on how to proceed further?

Thanks,
Welcome to the forums! You may want to post this question in the I20 threads. :00000732:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Jayan,

this problem with the servo seems to bee a regular one...
When the biggest (and best !) motor mag. over here made the "Elk-test" (a tough test on an airfield, going in 75km/h thru a series of sharp turns) the ESP and steering made very well in the first test, but failed with stiff steering on repeated tests...

It seems that there is an overheat or overcurrent electronic fuse that shall protect the servo motor. But probably set too sensitive and cuts out too early. Or he servo system is plainly too weak for the car. As with all electronic systems there is probably a software fix also for this problem. Could probably be calibrated and fixed by a competent dealer. See my previous thread on the steering servo problem with too little support on winding country roads.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes there is Overheat protection in the EPS unit. However there is no access available to Dealers that allows the control logic to be changed.

Bearing in mind that on full lock the motor draws up to 80amps peak, that equates to a power disipation of around 800-900watts... You will then see that the EPS unit requires protection.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got information today about the possible settings for the EPS. This will be dealt with at the same service as the faulty radio will be changed and the out of limit outside temp indicator adjuste to at least +/- 2 deg. C true reading.

Info said that there is a 2 stage setting for the EPS-support. Normally cars are delivered with the least supportive setting = rather "stiff" steering. Was told that the lighter setting might not be to my liking as several have changed back to the stiffer one again due to "nervous" steering behaviour....

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE (Master_Tech @ Dec 14 2010, 12:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379470
Yes there is Overheat protection in the EPS unit. However there is no access available to Dealers that allows the control logic to be changed.

Bearing in mind that on full lock the motor draws up to 80amps peak, that equates to a power disipation of around 800-900watts... You will then see that the EPS unit requires protection.
Yes, the power demand for the EPS system is high. But it is PWM-power, (Pulse Width Modulation) i.e not continous 80A at 13,8V. It is possible to get this "cutout" in ANY car with EPS. Sooner or later overcurrent or overtemperature will set in on repeated heavy steering manouvers.
The main problem is that in the i20 the cut-out comes very early, sometimes when the demand for the EPS is absolutly necessery as in avoiding a dangerous situation on the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes, the cut-out comes very early in i20
I had the same problem
if you trying to park the car in difficult place(~1 minute turning the wheel) the servo will go off

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (jiva @ Jan 5 2011, 08:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=386880
yes, the cut-out comes very early in i20
I had the same problem
if you trying to park the car in difficult place(~1 minute turning the wheel) the servo will go off

It looks like an issue with few i20's only. It is not happening for all! :(

Would that be a defect during manufactering? My doubt is about some measurement mismatches, which may cause stress to steering wheel and results over heat to the motors.

The service technicians are planning to visit my place and test with different vehicles.. I will keep it posted!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (Jayan Kodavath @ Jan 10 2011, 09:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=388960
It looks like an issue with few i20's only. It is not happening for all! :(

Would that be a defect during manufactering? My doubt is about some measurement mismatches, which may cause stress to steering wheel and results over heat to the motors.

The service technicians are planning to visit my place and test with different vehicles.. I will keep it posted!

The technicians visited my place and they got stuck with the stiff steering! They were able to figure out the issue (I think so) and took my car to their center and rectified "the issue"! I haven't faced that problem again and the steering is more smoother now!

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (Jayan Kodavath @ Feb 3 2011, 02:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=397863
The technicians visited my place and they got stuck with the stiff steering! They were able to figure out the issue (I think so) and took my car to their center and rectified "the issue"! I haven't faced that problem again and the steering is more smoother now!

Thanks for the feedback!
Now after the second service, again the same problem started! This time I asked for the GSCAN error code. They have not given that exactly, but the code is something similar to H163 - Thermal Protection.

When it happened for the first time, I informed them and then, without looking in to the issue, they told that, it’s my in-experience. That happened on 31st August 2010 (it was only one week after my purchase with < 500 KM!). They were not ready to believe that, till their live experience. If they have gone through the GSCAN before, they (Dealer - My Good Friend) could have resolved this in a better way. Now the car is 6 months old and ran 10400 Kilo meters. They are saying that they cannot rectify this and its function is like that only! I brought this costly car with all safety features and if the steering is not working, what is the HYUNDAI’s I20 meaning for SAFTY?

This is my first car and I don’t want to sell. How ever I want to rectify this issue. Could you please advise me on this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,

Update on i20’s Stiff steering issue!

Yesterday (7th March 2011) the dealer (MGF) rallied to my place, took test drive with different i20’s and experienced the same issue. For all i20’s the GSCAN was giving, the same error code (C1603 – Derating (EPS Thermal Protection)) but, the steering was back to work immediately! Unfortunately in my i20, the steering is not getting released for long duration. Most times, this stiffness stays back for more than 5 Minutes and making my driving miserable. Now the dealer is convinced with my issues and trying to hear from Hyundai for resolution!
Your suggestions and comments for resolving this issue is heartily invited.

Thanks in advance!
Jayan PK

·
Registered
36 Posts
This code is set for

" if the temperature of MDPS Motor rises over a cetain criteria in order to protect it"

Ask them to substitute with a known-good steering column & EPS unit assembly and check for proper operation.
If problem is corrected, replace steering column & EPS unit assembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (i20 Asta @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=415565
This code is set for

" if the temperature of MDPS Motor rises over a cetain criteria in order to protect it"

Ask them to substitute with a known-good steering column & EPS unit assembly and check for proper operation.
If problem is corrected, replace steering column & EPS unit assembly.
I am a driving instructor from Kendal England and have an i20 CRDI Style the power steering cuts out whilst teaching pupils slow manouvers the vehicle has been in to the supplying garage (DSG Morecambe) several times where the mechanics have experienced the problem but still cannot do anything about it a Hyundai field engineer has inspected it and says the car is performing normally. The vehicle was sold to me new in May 2010 under the Hyundai driving school programme yet it is utterly useless for teaching pupils the neccessary manouvers to pass the driving test. I strongly urge any fellow Driving Instructors contemplating buying a Hyundai to use as a tuition vehicle to have a serious re think as Hyundai have put in writing (which I have in my possesion) that this could happen to any of their models. They have stated that when the pas cuts out it will re set after about 10 minutes what are my pupil and I supposed to do in the meantime ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, Hyundai I like your cars.
In the topic, the power steering not working , while slow driving , I have Hyundai I 20 and enjoy its ride ,but if I drive it less than 10 km per hour the power steering is not working.But I am not determine that I always get fun by driving the I 20. I like its interior and I also like its design .
The colour of the I 20 is nice (WHITE). I always like Hyundai cars ,in the Hyundai Iike I 10 and I 20 most than the other.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In India you can complaint to '[email protected]'. In case they ( service centers ) are not responding or accepting the issues, give them a written complaint and ask them them to give a written reply.

Also send a complaint to the above E-mail ID, quoting the service center/the dealer from where you bought the car, Hyundai take action immediatley.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts