Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My 2010 i20 passenger door won’t open from inside or out. The door lock only moves about 25% when the key fob activates and then returns to the locked position. I’ve tried to remove the trim around the internal door handle but it doesn’t seem to want to come off. All I could do was spray a little wd40 into the mechanism and try to sort it but to no avail. Please can anyone advise. Thanks in advance Andy

·
Registered
23 Posts
door handles

Hi Andy,
I have the 2014 model. If its the same design, here's the way to go.

The door has 2 cables behind the door trim.
Easy to remove, 2 screws. One at the door handle. One at the arm rest.
Remove the triangle corner trim near the front of the window. has 3 clips behind.
Unclip the door trim all around the sides and bottom,
Lift it up out of the window frame.

Carefully unclip the 2 cables,
Unclip the speaker plugs
Unclip the electric window plug.

Remove the trim, check the issue with the cables.

·
Banned
6,978 Posts
Hi Andy,
I have the 2014 model. If its the same design, here's the way to go.

The door has 2 cables behind the door trim.
Easy to remove, 2 screws. One at the door handle. One at the arm rest.
Remove the triangle corner trim near the front of the window. has 3 clips behind.
Unclip the door trim all around the sides and bottom,
Lift it up out of the window frame.

Carefully unclip the 2 cables,
Unclip the speaker plugs
Unclip the electric window plug.

Remove the trim, check the issue with the cables.
You can do this with the door closed?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Maybe the door is only partially latched. Try giving the door a quick push from the outside to see if it will fully latch. Find a hard point to push on so as to not bend any sheet metal tho.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi did you get this door problem sorted as I've got the same problem with one of my i20 rear passenger doors.

Jammed shut and wont open from inside or out. There is minimal movement on the lock when the key fob is pressed.
It's obviously a hazard and I need to get it fixed. Local dealer wants approx £500 to fix !!
Any help to rectify this please. Window opens and closes and I've tried banging the inside door panel near the door handle but it hasn't worked

·
Registered
26 Posts
The above instructions is for the rear near side passenger door the front may be different but I managed by taking out the screws from the arm rest and the door lever one screw is not accessible with the door closed and then pulling the door card carefully over the lip allowing me to access the cables from outside on the car

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hi. My 2010 i20 passenger door won’t open from inside or out. The door lock only moves about 25% when the key fob activates and then returns to the locked position. I’ve tried to remove the trim around the internal door handle but it doesn’t seem to want to come off. All I could do was spray a little wd40 into the mechanism and try to sort it but to no avail. Please can anyone advise. Thanks in advance Andy
Maybe same issues with mine.

Door motor inside the actuator may be going bad!!!

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
They slip a thin air bag between the door glass and the frame and pump it up far enough to get a gap big enough to get a rod in there and they are trained just what to push or pull. You find them on eBay but it's knowing what to push/pull. They do it when people lock their keys in the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had a go at it tonight and was in within 10 minutes. A couple of securing screws to remove, drop the window and carefully prise the top of the door inner panel over the lip of the door panel and there is enough space to get hands in and start at things. A bit more gentle pressure on the door panel and it pretty much comes away completely. Then it's just a simple matter of unlatching the lock and opening the door. Now to sort the sticking mechanism.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same problem on i20 2011. My locked door is n/s passenger door. Followed the advice above and removed trim sufficiently to access actuator (handle end) and also the lock (business end). When I lock / unlock using fob or drivers door, I can hear the electric actuator working and feel the lock block vibrating, but no amount of jiggling, helping manually or anything is persuading the lock to totally disengage. Inside and outside handles aren't engaging in the lock/actuator block. I can feel the rod move or pull the cable, but nothing more happens in the block. I can't access the block as it is firmly held in by those 3 screws in the door face that I cant get to!

I'm really stuck! Any thoughts at all really welcome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Read this fully:-

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.