Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have a Hyundai i20 from 2013 (manual, gasoline). Everything with this car has been working really perfectly, until last weekend.

We rented out our car to someone (very bad choice) and noticed that after starting the car initially, this person was revving it up really high (just once). We also noticed that this person didn't drive smoothly at all. I don't know if this matters a lot, but I'm adding it just in case.

The car was gone for a day and 150km was driven by the renter. After the car came back and I went for a drive myself, I noticed that when trying to accelerate the car was losing power and the engine had a bit lower sound. This problem was most apparent in the lower gears. But also when on the highway driving 100km/h in 5th gear, when putting full gas it didn't seem to speed up at all while making the lower sound.

After that I checked with my OBD2-scanner and I saw there was a "P0300: Random/multiple cylinder(s) - misfire detected".
Today I went to a garage who tried to diagnose the car. They've also read out the computer and saw that 2 cilinders (I think 1 & 3 or 1 & 4) where misfiring (sometimes).
They checked the compression, and this was perfect.

I'm not sure of all the things they've checked, but they didn't come to a conclusion of what might be the actual problem, and recommended us to go to a Hyundai-specific dealer.
They were talking about different options:
  • Take the Lambda-sensor away and check if that changes anything
  • There might be a problem in the distributor for the spark plugs
  • There might be something wrong with the timing (chain)
  • There might be something wrong with the catalytic converter
  • There might be something wrong in the computer

So really a lot of options.

The spark plugs have been replaced about 6mo/9000km ago.
I confirmed with the renter (I got the receipt) that it was fuelled up with E10 (95), and not diesel.

Does anyone here have an idea of what it might be?
Also, I read that I might try disconnecting the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. I was planning to do this, but couldn't find it where I was expecting it (after the air filter). Any idea where on the i20 this is? (I saw another cable, but that seemed to be on the throttle body)

If any more information might be useful, let me know!

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice/help!

Jeroen

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.