Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this forum but really need some help. I am sorry for the long winded nature of this but it is a really serious problem.
I bought my son a brand new i20 last July. He had an accident where the front passenger wheel went into a pothole and damaged the wheel arch. He also had swerved and scraped the passenger side of the car down a wall. The car went into Churchill insurers approved garage in Milton Keynes and we got it back fully repaired 3 weeks ago.
My son drove down to Winchester exactly two weeks after getting the car back - a journey of about 2 hours down the A34. Fifteen minutes after arriving he phoned me to say his engine had fallen out ! He had driven over what he thought was a massive speed bump but in fact it was just the force of the engine falling. I told him that this could not happen and he had to call out the RAC - the car at this point was unable to be driven.
The RAC man confirmed to me that my son was correct - the engine mounts had failed and the engine was now sitting on the axle. I refused for the car to go back to the garage who had carried out the repairs and insisted that Hyundai had a look at it. Initially all fingers were pointed at the repairs garage. Churchill insurance asked Hyundai to prepare a report to confirm it was not any fault of the manufacturers.
I called them last friday and was told they could not confirm this and that they thought it was manufacturers part defect.
Churchill Insurance sent out there Engineer on Tuesday to inspect the car with a representative of both Hyundai, the repair garage and my Husband present. Both Hyundai and the Engineer agreed that this was a Hyundai parts defect.
My family is still very shocked at what could have happened if this incident had occured 15 minutes earlier - we are looking at a potentially catastrophic accident.
Today my Husband and myself went along to a meeting at Hyundai Milton Keynes with the manager there. We do not want this car back as we have lost all faith in it and do not believe it is fit for purpose. We were told by the boss there that he will not do anything about this or our concerns - we are to remove the i20 immediately from his forecourt as they have now fixed the part and if we do not remove it he will just park it on the street ! I am absolutely shocked and disgusted.
In light of the Toyota problem I would have thought Hyundai may have been concerned about such a potentially serious problem - it could be a one off but then again it could be a major issue with this model.
I have loads of photos showing the problem ( I have uploaded one ) and will take them to the National press if I have to. I would hate to find in a few months or a years time that numerous people have been seriously injured or killed by a problem that Hyundai were aware of but did not investigate.
Has anyone any advice please ? I have already spoken to Hyundai UK Customer Services and was told I had to issue a letter to the garage requesting a refund which is what I have now done. You just do not expect this from a brand new car or to be treated in such a disgusting way by a Hyundai dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
You're right, it's rather long winded.

Your son wrecked the car. So now you don't want the car back because the motor mount broke??? I think you only deserve to have the car repaired correctly. If it's correct now, then problem solved. I have to agree with the dealer.

I would be different if the mount broke by itself, but in this case the car was wrecked. I suspect the mount breaking has something to do with the wreck. Something is not right just yet.

You'll just have to drive it around and see if it breaks again. If it breaks again, then I think you have an issue with the insurance company since your problems were caused by the wreck.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
welcome to the forums :00000732:

this is a difficult situation, by and large l tend to agree with the above post. firstly there has never been any reports from members on the forums about an engine mounting breaking nor have l heard anything in the motoring press. we are talking about just one of the engine mountings, the same one that is adjacent to the near side front wheel that hit the pot hole. it is quite possible that the mounting had some shock damage in the accident i.e. a hair line fracture that weakened it which in turn caused the complete breakage some weeks later or on the other hand it is also possible that there was a weakness in the mounting from when the car was new.

the mounting has been replaced by the dealer under your warranty and l presume the vehicle is back in fully serviceable condition. l think under the circumstances you will have a tough time taking this issue any further and l also very much doubt if there is a defect which is going to cause this problem on any other i20 models because it would seem this was just a 'one off'

if you son was to carry on using the car l doubt if there would be any more issues.

l am sorry if l sound negative and it is probably not what you what to hear but this is my own personal opinion

·
Registered
66 Posts
In light of the Toyota problem I would have thought Hyundai may have been concerned about such a potentially serious problem - it could be a one off but then again it could be a major issue with this model.
[/quote]

This is disturbing news for all I20 owners including myself, i hope that this is a one off,when you buy a car you dont look at the way engine mounts are designed,but looking at the photo it looks like the engine casting could of been defective ------- blow holes for example ------ the area where the fixing holes are, is critical to the integrity of the engine mounting i would of thought the supplier would have a quality control using x rays or sonic methods.
Looking at safety crash impact tests from EURO NCAP, the i20 was awarded 5 stars,i would of thought if there was a problem with the engine mounting design
then it would of shown up then after the number of test crashes they put the car through.
Maybe the impact your son had created a condition that put forces through the mounting that hadnt been created in the test bed--------- i also think if this was a major problem then surely someone else would have experienced it by now----------- i must admit i would of preferred to see a design where the engine is supported on shelf like brackets rather than suspended by screws-------- anyway i hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Firstly, I am glad to hear that your son was unheart in the accident.
It does sound like an after effect from the initial bump, that has caused this, a very strange thing to happen out of the blue.
I sincerely hope you can resolve the problem with Hyundai, and wish you all the best.
Thanks for flagging it up anyway, I hope we don't hear of anymore engine mount failures.
S.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
Thankyou to everyone for their replies. The Engineer from the Insurance company and one of the Managers from the Hyundai dealership both agreed that the engine mounts failing in this way was nothing to do with the accident my son had and that it was the part that was defective. The Engineer was the same person who inspected my sons car after the accident and he knew that there had not been enough impact to cause this.
I would just like for Hyundai to have taken this problem more seriously. Hyundai UK's technical department were contacted to come and inspect the car and the engine mounting once it was known it was manufacturers part defect but they were not interested in even coming to see it.
All in all it is very disappointing but the important thing is that my son had luckily only been going at about 20mph when it happened and is safe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
QUOTE (mrsg2106 @ Jun 12 2010, 07:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332344
I would just like for Hyundai to have taken this problem more seriously. Hyundai UK's technical department were contacted to come and inspect the car and the engine mounting once it was known it was manufacturers part defect but they were not interested in even coming to see it.
All in all it is very disappointing but the important thing is that my son had luckily only been going at about 20mph when it happened and is safe.
Where is the defective part now? --------- i suppose the garage has disposed of it --------- nothing gets your back up more than apathy from dealers and manufacturers ---------- i suppose Hyundai dont want any bad publicity with their flagship i range -------- but as you say if safety is an issue they should of taken it more seriously------- i dont think i would leave the car at the dealership though ------ fight your corner from home with the car safely under wraps until it is resolved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts