Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

This is mainly aimed towards the I20 owners in South Africa.

Are you guys and gals aware of any I20 engine failures caused by faulty radiator caps ?

I'm asking as a little birdy told me there has been several of these instances

·
Registered
538 Posts
Temperature gauges

Note to all owners of any modern car. The temperature gauge, if fitted, is not scaled in a manner most of us would be familiar with. The 'Cold' marking on the gauge can, depending on Hyundai model, be anywhere between 60 and 75 Degrees C by my experience with my cars. The sweet spot just below 1/2 gauge is any temperature between 70 and 105 Degrees C. If your radiator cap is faulty or you have a leak in the coolant system causing it to not maintain correct pressure your engine can and WILL boil dry of coolant while the temperature gauge happily reports 'Normal'.
Your engine WILL NOT shut down on overheat unless the engine coolant temp reaches around 120 Degrees, which it cannot if system pressure is lost.

In these computer controlled engines coolant pressure or level should be monitored and reported as it is in heavy duty diesel engines. A $5 Sensor could save $1000's in repairs and grief.

Test or replace your cap regularly!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone who supplies radiator pressure cap test machines where approached by Hyundai's technical team. They where looking for quite a number of these due to the failures they have picked up...........................hence where my question was coming from

I have not heard of anything related to this locally.........and my car is running like a dream.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts